Screen Resolution Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
J-Head
Level 1
Level 1

Screen Resolution Problem

Post by J-Head » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi. I just installed Linux Mint last night, and it seems really cool. I'm dual booting WinXP and this is my first time not using the Doze on my own computer. I have a problem, however, with screen resolution. Last night, during the install proceeding first boot of the OS, my screen resolution was fine. I have an NVIDIA graphics card, and I installed the restricted driver, which I knew would not take effect until the next time I booted Linux Mint. I just booted it today with the new drivers in effect, and the screen resolution is smaller than before today's boot. I went to Preferences > Screen Resolution, but the highest available res is 800x600, which I know cannot be right, because a) my graphics card is better than that and b) I run at a much higher resolution in Windows.

How can I fix this? If I cannot, is Linux a low-res OS or something?

Thanks for your time!

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Screen Resolution Problem

Post by 67GTA » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo displayconfig-gtk
This will let you set the gfx driver(nvidia) and the desired screen res. You will have to reboot to take effect.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

J-Head
Level 1
Level 1

Post by J-Head » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Thank you so much! I have it at 1152x768. I had to do some stuff with my monitor a bit to bring a few centimeters of the display in view, but it's perfect now. Thanks again.

harryc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by harryc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:09 pm

67GTA wrote:Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo displayconfig-gtk
This will let you set the gfx driver(nvidia) and the desired screen res. You will have to reboot to take effect.
Is there a similar command for an ATI card or is it one in the same?

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:14 pm

It is the same. It will let you choose the driver/res for any supported card/monitor.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

surfer57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by surfer57 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Just a note to say thanks! This forum, like the OS, is awesome!!!!! Linux Mint ROCKS! 8)

Return to “Newbie Questions”