Nvidia update

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia update

Post by poliltimmy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I just day before yesterday installed the nvidia driver from their site, for the first time ever all is working great. Was using nouveau up until then. Do I need to upgrade today for reason or can I just ignore it? Is their something special about it?

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.116 Direct Rendering: Yes

bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nvidia update

Post by bobafetthotmail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Is there something in their release notes that is tingling you? http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/

I would make a backup of the system partition and install it anyway, because I'm curious, but on a work machine (that needs to be reliable) I would not upgrade for a while unless needed.

dylanwetton
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia update

Post by dylanwetton » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:48 am

bobafetthotmail wrote:Is there something in their release notes that is tingling you? http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/

I would make a backup of the system partition and install it anyway, because I'm curious, but on a work machine (that needs to be reliable) I would not upgrade for a while unless needed.
I have to agree. Would rather not upgrade to be safe.

Return to “Newbie Questions”