Fresh Win7 convert with two issues in Mint 16 Petra x64

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh Win7 convert with two issues in Mint 16 Petra x64

Post by miahallen »

Hey Linux fans, I've dabbled with various distros over the years, but finally took the plung on my primary desktop converting over from Windows. This time, it's going to work, or I'll go back to an old fashined daytimer :lol:
Installation went smooth, but after getting into Mint on the first boot, it was quite apparent things were not quite right. I've struggled for two days now, and I'm starting to get a bit frustrated.

1) Cannot create user accounts.
So, during installation, I defined the primary admin account (mine) just fine. After installation, I wanted to add a second user for my wife's account. Pretty simple right? Not so fast...I'm working via the GUI (still don't know terminal syntax very well at all), I select add new user, and input the basic user info, then click add....and NOTHING happens :? Nothing at all, there is simply zero reaction when I press the "add" button.

2) WI-FI speed is abysmal.
I've got a decent spec PC with fairly modern parts (see below). Two days ago, I was running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and everything was fine, my WI-FI speed was perfectly acceptable; about 15Mb/s DL & 20Mb/s UL. After installing Mint, which found my network and connected without issue, my WI-FI performance is absolutely horrible, around 0.5Mb/s DL & 1.5Mb/s UL. After searching the interwebs I found a decent article here, and I tried everything on his list. But no luck, the problem persists...here is my adaptor information (below)....any ideas?

IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Not your Wi-Fi"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:14:D1:9D:7A:60
Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-40 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:3 Missed beacon:0

Thanks in advance, I do appreciate it. :)

Intel Celeron G1610 dual core CPU
ASRock H61 based motherboard
16GB DDR3-1600
80GB Intel G2 SSD
500GB HDD for media (the rest is on a NAS)
450W Silverstone PSU

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Fresh Win7 convert with two issues in Mint 16 Petra x64

Post by xenopeek »

Then welcome to Linux Mint :D Good on you for taking the plunge, now let's try and get all of this sorted...

First, which desktop environment are you using? (e.g., Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, Xfce) The user management GUI will be different between the desktop environments (as do many other things, so when asking for help always include this bit of information also :wink:).

For the wifi, can you please open the terminal application and run the following command to get some information about your device:

Code: Select all

inxi -Nxz
Please share the output here. See the terminal's Edit menu for how to copy text from the terminal.

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

Thanks xenopeek, I'm running cinnamon 8)

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
Card-2: Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 0bda:8178

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Doesn't look promising for the Realtek wireless adapter. AFAIK you would optimally download the Unix/Linux driver source code from there and compile it yourself: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downlo ... =true#2772. However, the "latest" kernel their source code supports is 3.9 while Linux Mint 16 comes with 3.11. Looking on AskUbuntu for compiling this driver on Ubuntu 13.10 (the base for Linux Mint 16) it doesn't look like anybody has managed to get this driver working: http://askubuntu.com/search?q=RTL8192CU+13.10

You might want to consider just buying a better wireless card for your computer, one that has a good driver included in the Linux kernel. One place to get some suggestions is the Linux Mint Community site, the hardware compatibility database as registered by other Linux Mint users: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome. Ideally look for devices confirmed to work out of the box on Petra release, but perhaps accepting it works on Olivia is also fine.

As for the problem with users and groups, it works fine here. Entering full name and username and then clicking the Add button adds the new user to the list. Is the Add button perhaps grayed out? And not changing shading as you move your mouse cursor over it? (compare it closely to the Cancel button.) Then you have entered something invalid. Once you have entered valid information in both fields the add button becomes clickable, not before.

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

xenopeek wrote:Doesn't look promising for the Realtek wireless adapter. AFAIK you would optimally download the Unix/Linux driver source code from there and compile it yourself: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downlo ... =true#2772. However, the "latest" kernel their source code supports is 3.9 while Linux Mint 16 comes with 3.11. Looking on AskUbuntu for compiling this driver on Ubuntu 13.10 (the base for Linux Mint 16) it doesn't look like anybody has managed to get this driver working: http://askubuntu.com/search?q=RTL8192CU+13.10

You might want to consider just buying a better wireless card for your computer, one that has a good driver included in the Linux kernel. One place to get some suggestions is the Linux Mint Community site, the hardware compatibility database as registered by other Linux Mint users: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome. Ideally look for devices confirmed to work out of the box on Petra release, but perhaps accepting it works on Olivia is also fine.

As for the problem with users and groups, it works fine here. Entering full name and username and then clicking the Add button adds the new user to the list. Is the Add button perhaps grayed out? And not changing shading as you move your mouse cursor over it? (compare it closely to the Cancel button.) Then you have entered something invalid. Once you have entered valid information in both fields the add button becomes clickable, not before.
Thanks again...yes, the button seems normal (not greyed out), when I click it, you can see it visibly clicking, but nothing happens. It's just laughing at me :cry: LOL

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

OK, I punched a hole in the wall and ran a cable from my router, so my internet problem is solved.

Now to figure out the user accounts issue. How do I add another account via the terminal? I don't mind working around the issue, since it'll be a one time deal :-)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

With the following command, replacing "username" with the desired new username:

sudo adduser username

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

Awesome, that worked great...turns out the username was too short (only 5 letters). I thought I had tried a longer on in the GUI, but I guess not.

OK, next issue...I was trying to burn a disc, but when I insert the CD+R, I get the following error:

"Unable to mount Blank CD-R Disc"
"Location is already mounted"

My old nemesis rears its ugly head...mounting media :evil:

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I don't do any disc burning so don't know about that. Is it displayed in the file manager as mounted, or in the panel icon for mounted devices? Try unmounting the disc from there.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Usually when I get a message like that, a reboot solves the problem.
If not, with no CD in the drive, in a terminal run the command:

mount
That will tell you what is mounted and where it is mounted. Your CD drive will probably be sd0 (that is sdZERO)
Then, enter:

sudo umount /dev/sd0
Now insert your CD and it should automount.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

but when I insert the CD+R, I get the following error:
Afaik that's the same crap Windos says when I pop in a blank disk, but it's caused by the fact that the disk is not even formatted and there is no way to mount it (because it's blank duh!).
Close the popup, open your burning program and burn whatever you want as normal.

As for wifi cards, Atheros cards are the ones that "just work" (because the driver is integrated in the linux kernel, lord bless them), and can be bought for 20$ or even less on Ebay or whatever. Then you can sell the one you have and maybe even do some profit. :lol:

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

austin.texas wrote:
Usually when I get a message like that, a reboot solves the problem.
If not, with no CD in the drive, in a terminal run the command:

mount
That will tell you what is mounted and where it is mounted. Your CD drive will probably be sd0 (that is sdZERO)
Then, enter:

sudo umount /dev/sd0
Now insert your CD and it should automount.
Thanks for the suggestion austin.texas....but I still got the same error when I instered the disc. BTW, my optical drive is sr0...when I ran mount the first time, it gave me the following:

/dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=miahallen)
/dev/sr0 on /media/miahallen/BO-N1557 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks2)

after following your instruction and inserting the disc, mount shows this:

/dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=miahallen)

Now what? :?

bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

you saw my post above your last one?

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

bobafetthotmail wrote:you saw my post above your last one?
Yeah, I saw it....that didn't work (tried with two programs)...thanks for the suggestions anyway :|

Scott65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scott65 »

miahallen wrote:Awesome, that worked great...turns out the username was too short (only 5 letters). I thought I had tried a longer on in the GUI, but I guess not.

OK, next issue...I was trying to burn a disc, but when I insert the CD+R, I get the following error:

My old nemesis rears its ugly head...mounting media :evil:
Hi, and welcome! Don't get discouraged, because we've all been here before; I took the plunge about 2 years ago. But the level of support from the community is fantastic.

Just wanted to verify what you wrote above: you inserted a CD+R disc and Mint says "Unable to mount Blank CD-R Disc" ? Mint recognizes the +R as a -R?
That seems like it could be a problem... :)

Do you have any other types you can test, like a DVD+R ? or RW or a CD-R disc? Just trying to narrow down the problem some more...

FreedomOfTheOpenCode

Post by FreedomOfTheOpenCode »

miahallen wrote:OK, next issue...I was trying to burn a disc, but when I insert the CD+R, I get the following error:

I get a message like that when I insert a blank DVD-R, but I just click on OK and continue with Brasero no problem. I have to admit though that I have been getting a number of apparently mount-related problems since migrating to Petra from Nadia (both 64-bit, Cinnamon), but no show stoppers.

miahallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miahallen »

Alright, I got the optical drive issues worked out, now I've run into a new issue. This one really has me stumped.

I set up the system with two user accounts, my is admin, my wife's is a standard user account. Both of us has access to our network shares on a Thecus NAS, which is Linux based but shows up on the "Windows network" in Mint. My network is using DHCP, and after some connectivity issues with Comcast the otherday, and rebooting the router & switch, my NAS picked up a new IP address. I had to remap the shares on my user account...but since that day I have been unable to get to the shares using my wife's user account.

I deleted all my mount point shortcuts in the GUI, and tried to manually navigate to the shares using the file explorer I get the "Failed to mount Windows share" error, or a "Cannot display location 'smb://xxxyyyy/' Failed to retrieve share list from server".

I deleted and then recreated her user account. That didn't do anything.
I also elevated her account to administrator, but that didn't do any good either.

Does anyone know how I can get back my network shares on my wifes user account? :?

Return to “Newbie Questions”