Linux/Windows seeing each other

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ooseven
Level 1
Level 1

Linux/Windows seeing each other

Post by ooseven »

Hello I work on other peoples wndows pc's. And when I have to transfer files from windows so I can
reinstall windows and then transfer them back. How do I get linuxmint cin 32 bit to let me transfer
from windows to linux and then back.

Some do not have much and can be done with a USB stick. But some have more then a stick can
handle and it is faster to do it directly.
Thank You.....
A very much linux lover!
ooseven
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux/Windows seeing each other

Post by austin.texas »

If you have a Mint dvd, you can use the file manager on the dvd to copy files from the hard drive to a usb drive. Of course, you will have to have a usb thumb drive or usb hard drive big enough for all the files ( or maybe two thumb drives ? ).
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Tejas_0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tejas_0 »

Don't knowif I'm getting the question right, but when I used to use windows I would just mount the windows partition from Linux as FAT32/VFAT and carry on as normal.
Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit
Linux mint 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

USB flash drives and SD cards have the worst write speed of all devices.

USB hard drives are 3-4 times as fast when writing. 3.5" hard drives are usually faster.

Another SATA drive connected as if it was internal will give you top speed.

You could use Samba over a network but it's not faster than USB hard drives and NOT ANYWHERE NEAR raw SATA.

There are USB to USB data transfer cables (they are active devices with their own controllers, it's not just a male-to-male cable), but you need to find one that works in Ubuntu/Mint http://plugable.com/products/usb-easy-tran

What i warmly suggest is to make a system and a data partition on the drives of the pc you are working with. So in case you have to reinstall, whatever is in the data partition is safe and does not have to be moved, while everything is in the system partition gets nuked as normal.
ooseven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ooseven »

You see when transferring data from windows to windows you can get into the other
windows through network sharing. But I do not like using windows personally as every
one here knows.

Plus it is safer to use linux to put other peoples data on. I heard there is a way and I
will find it and put it in here or if some one know and put it here it will help people.

Thanks for the reply's.
Thank You.....
A very much linux lover!
ooseven
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I truly don't understand the environment of what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you doing this remotely across the Internet?

Are you doing this locally within your own local area network?

Are these machines networked - connected to the same router?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ooseven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ooseven »

altair4 wrote:I truly don't understand the environment of what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you doing this remotely across the Internet?

Are you doing this locally within your own local area network?

Are these machines networked - connected to the same router?
What I'm trying to do is to transfer data so I can do a reinstall on the windows
machine.
Thank You.....
A very much linux lover!
ooseven
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Sounds like what you really want to be able to do is network the machines. IF that is the case, read about Samba: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/03/configu ... buntu.html
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It's not even clear to me based on the information given in this topic if the 2 machines are on a local network but if the they are you could create a primitive HTTP Server on the Linux box and then use a Web Browser on the Windows box to upload to the Linux box: HTTP for Fast Large File Transfers on Local Network

Note: Use the [] Creating a temporary HTTP server with upload capability section of the HowTo.

Here's the thing about HTTP though - it doesn't understand directories. So if you have a whole mess of files and subdirectories the thing that's usually done is to make an archive ( like a zip file ) on the Windows box containing all these files and then upload that to the server.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

Teamviewer can do everything and has clear tutorials and manuals to guide you. Remote desktop and file transfer. It is easy to install in windos/mac/linux(ubuntu/debian). http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx
For free.

Network speed isn't very fast compared to even USB. If you have physical access, it's much better if you just take out the drive and connect it to the linux PC with internal connectors.

All this networking stuff is only for embedded devices and tablet/phones that don't have any other way of connecting.

Return to “Newbie Questions”