Trouble installing Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
coolmanoh
Level 1
Level 1

Trouble installing Linux Mint

Post by coolmanoh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:36 am

I'm having trouble installing Linux Mint. I am using a Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon DVD which I requested. Boot-up sequence is set to CD-ROM, then Hard Drive. First screen said "Linux Mint - Automatic boot in x seconds". Second screen: "Linux Mint" with 4 dots underneath that changed color from white to green. Third screen: "Welcome to Linux.... Documentation.... " (Not enough time to read it all.) Screen was filled with "U". Screen went totally blank for at least 10 minutes until I hit the reboot button. Final screen:

lease remove installation media and close the tray (if any) then press Enter.

Removed disk and pressed Enter. Computer turned off. My OS is Windows XP, with 2 GB RAM and a second hard drive with 160 GB space.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Trouble installing Linux Mint

Post by wayne128 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:31 am

Without knowing what CPU and graphic card, it is hard to know what is the issue.
From your description of WinXP computer, only guess is that its graphic chip/card is unable to handle cinnamon desktop.

May be you can test the WinXP computer with Mint16-Mate , 32-bit version.

coolmanoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmanoh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:14 pm

I paid $5.95 for a Linux Mint DVD and now I can't use it. I guess I have two options: 1) Download Mint16-Mate or 2) buy a new graphics card. Regarding option 1--where do I go to download Mint16-Mate? Assuming Mint16-Mate is too large to me to download within a reasonable amount of time, what recommendations do you have for a new graphics card, about which I know absolutely nothing. As far as I know, I don't actually have a graphics card installed. The graphics is handled by circuitry on the motherboard, which is an MSI K8MM-V board.

Thanks for your help.
D. C.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:34 pm

coolmanoh,

Did you try any of these boot options http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 :?:
ImageImage

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:48 pm

coolmanoh wrote:I paid $5.95 for a Linux Mint DVD and now I can't use it.
Just too bad..
cinnamon desktop environment need very good graphic card with acceleration.
Most old computer ( more than 10 year old) have trouble with it.
I guess I have two options: 1) Download Mint16-Mate or 2) buy a new graphics card. Regarding option 1--where do I go to download Mint16-Mate?

Assuming Mint16-Mate is too large to me to download within a reasonable amount of time, what recommendations do you have for a new graphics card, about which I know absolutely nothing.
There is really no point in buying a new graphic card for such a purpose.

I have several old computers ( 11-yo, 7 yo) , they cannot run cinnamon.
I can buy a second hard 4-yo computer with much better specs and it costs me similar price like that of a modern graphic card.

In fact I bought two HP workstations for USD60, with core 2 duo CPU, ATI graphic card, 4G ddr2 RAM, 160G hard disk... and they works well with Win7. A modern graphic card cost more than that.

But this is just my opinion. It is up to you..

As to which version to download, I believe with old computer hardware, you have a better chance with Mint 13.

Of course if you wish you can always try latest Mint16, however, do take note that Mint16 had much less support time( support ends July 2014) than Mint13 ( Long Term Support, LTS, till April 2017)

Mint 13-mate, 32-bit
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=103

Mint 13-mate , 64-bit
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=104

Mint13-xfce, 32-bit
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113

Mint 13-xfce, 64-bit
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=114

This link is for ALL versions.
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Just one note here, if your internet is slow or have history of intermittently breaking, you will do better using torrent to download.
After download iso, please do a check on md5sum, to be sure the downloaded file is good.

coolmanoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmanoh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for help. Excuse my ignorance--What is "torrent", "iso" and "md5sum"?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 pm

coolmanoh wrote:Thanks for help. Excuse my ignorance--What is "torrent", "iso" and "md5sum"?
The simplified explanations are

Torrents require an application like transmission and it downloads files from other connected computers (peer to peer)

An ISO file is an archived image file of an optical disc.

The md5sum is a checksum of the file that you can compare with the md5sum application to make sure you get the same calculation so you know the file matches exactly.

Google is also your friend if you wast to delve deeper :wink:
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”