Dual booting from second hard drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lobsters15
Level 1
Level 1

Dual booting from second hard drive

Post by lobsters15 »

Recently I asked about accepting linux's partioning suggestion when dual booting mint with windows 7 and was advised against allowing mint to shrink the window's drive. I would like advice regarding installing Mint on my second usb hard drive. I have a Dell computer and pressing the f12 key on boot allows me to choose from where to boot. In other words I don't have to alter any bios boot settings. I have googled for information but would like help setting up Mint on a second hard drive.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual booting from second hard drive

Post by grimdestripador »

Install or keep windows intact and don't change boot settings for your primary HD.
Instead:
Plug in yoru second harddrive. Physically Remove your primary HD when you boot from LM Installer DVD.
You second (and only) hardrive should be the only partitions detected. This will force LM instller to place a second bootloader on that HD too.

Plug back in your primary HD,
You now have the capability of switching boot environments using the F12 (select boot device).

If you don't remove the drives ahead of time, getting the bootloader configured is difficult, but we can assist on that if you want to menu to choose from.

lobsters15
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lobsters15 »

Sorry, a bit confused. Do I open up the computer, disconnect the primary hard drive, connect the second hard drive and then install Mint to that drive? Once installed to the second hard drive, I would then open up the computer again and reconnect the primary drive. Then use f12 to select the boot option.

Is the second method that does not require opening up the computer too difficult for a newbie such as me? Thanks for your help.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

Pretty sure you should connect the drive you're installing to as it's going to be when you're done, namely connected by USB.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

grimdestripador wrote:Plug in yoru second harddrive. Physically Remove your primary HD when you boot from LM Installer DVD.
You second (and only) hardrive should be the only partitions detected. This will force LM instller to place a second bootloader on that HD too.
@lobsters15,

Reason for suggestion above is because the Mint installer will automatically point to the Windows hard drive for installation of its bootloader. You can stop that from happening by choosing to manually partition and by specifying where the bootloader gets installed -- you're going to want it on the usb drive. If you're comfortable with partitioning and pay attention to the option for where to put the bootloader, you'll be fine. But if you're not, it would just be easier to disconnect the cables to your Windows drive before booting the DVD. That way it will only see the connected usb hard drive and automatically install everything to that drive, including the bootloader.

When done, just reconnect cable to Windows drive and you can use F12 to pick between the two.

P.s. As Flemur already said -- just connect usb hd via usb. No need to actually install it inside the computer case.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

lobsters15
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lobsters15 »

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate I do not have to fit my usb second hard drive inside the computer. However opening up the computer, disconnecting the hard drive and then reconnecting it up again after Mint is installed to the usb second drive is a little daunting to one who seldom explores a computer's contents.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

If you would rather not open computer to disconnect drive, here is how to install.

I'm assuming in this example that you have:
** Only one hard drive installed in computer
** And only one USB drive (the one you want to install to) plugged into the USB slots.
** You want to use the entire USB drive for Mint; so I am going to have you wipe out what's there, then install to it. Make backups of anything you want to keep that is on that drive.
** For simplicity, we will make two partitions: one for "/" (root), the other for Swap.
** Swap size will be 4GB if your computer uses 4GB or less of RAM. Otherwise, make Swap partition 1GB bigger than RAM (substitute your proper size where I have 4GB in example below).

Unplug any other USB flash drives (except usb mouse and/or keyboard, if used). If you have more than one drive installed in your computer (not talking about the USB hard drive), then you will need to make sure to select the correct drive -- which may have a different label than shown in example.

Make a note of how big your computer's hard drive is and how big the external USB drive is. If they are not the same size, then you can easily spot the correct drive to install to by picking the right sized drive from the partitioning screen.

Boot with your DVD and your attached USB hard drive. After system is up and running, double-click the "Install" icon on the desktop.

** When you get to part that asks where/how to install, choose "Something else".
** Next will be a partitioning page.
** You will see two drives: /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
** /dev/sda is your Windows drive and will have one or more partitions labeled /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc.
** /dev/sdb is your external USB drive -- the one you need to be sure to select for installation. If you see any partitions (labeled /dev/sdb1, sdb2, etc.) we will be destroying them next.
** Click to select drive /dev/sdb -- (not sdb1, sdb2, etc. -- just sdb)
** Now click "Create New Partition Table" (or similarly named). This will wipe out any existing partitions.
** Click to select the free space on /dev/sdb.
** Click "+" to make a new partition.
** Make large "Primary" partition starting at the "Beginning of this space" using "Ext4 journaling file system" with "Mount point" == /. Make the size = total size of drive LESS amount of 4GB for the Swap partition.
** Double-check your entries (make sure it's on /dev/sdb) and hit "OK" to create partition.
** You should now see /dev/sdb has one partition and a bit of free space left on the end.
** Click to select free space and hit "+". Leave "Size" as shown, pick "Logical", "Beginning of this space", "Use as:" == "swap area", then "OK". (Do not hit "Install" yet.)

NOW VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!
"Device for boot loader installation:" == MUST BE THE USB DRIVE, but will likely be pre-filled with the hard drive of the computer you are working from. Click the arrow on the box (right side) to see choices. Pick the one corresponding to USB drive -- /dev/sdb. Pick the one that does not have any numbers at the end. (/dev/sdb for example; not /dev/sdb1)

Once that's all set, click "Install Now" and let it do its thing. When done, choose to continue using live media instead of "rebooting". When install screen disappears, count to 15, then just do a normal shutdown of the computer (Menu -> Log Out -> Shutdown).

Remove DVD and boot computer with USB drive plugged in. Hit your F12 button to select USB drive for booting. You should get a grub screen showing the choice of booting either Mint or Windows. Go ahead and boot into Mint and run the "Update Manager" (little shield icon on lower right panel) to install any updates available for the system.

To be sure that you installed the grub bootloader only on the USB drive, try rebooting computer (with or without the USB drive plugged in). It should boot straight into Windows -- you should not see the grub menu.

P.s.
If you wanted to create three partitions -- one for "/", one for "/home", and one for "Swap" -- then:
** Make first ("/") partition = 15GB in size.
** Make home partition same way as you made "/" partition, but use "Mount Point" = /home and make it the big partition using rest of drive space LESS amount for "Swap".
** Make "Swap" partition same as outlined above.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux »

http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

lobsters15
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lobsters15 »

Many thanks. Excellent help.

lobsters15
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lobsters15 »

Spent some time googling previous posts from this forum. Realised that all the advice I have been given also applies to a usb memory stick. I will try to do a complete install to a 32 gb usb memory stick. This will save me making a copy of all the photos and documents on my second hard drive. Again thanks for all the help.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

lobsters15 wrote:Spent some time googling previous posts from this forum. Realised that all the advice I have been given also applies to a usb memory stick. I will try to do a complete install to a 32 gb usb memory stick. This will save me making a copy of all the photos and documents on my second hard drive. Again thanks for all the help.
Absolutely correct. Same exact procedure whether external usb drive or usb stick.

Return to “Newbie Questions”