Kodak esp 3.2 AND bust!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Roger Bird
Level 2
Level 2

Kodak esp 3.2 AND bust!

Post by Roger Bird » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Since I can't seem to get my Kodak esp 3.2 printer to work (if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them), what do you-all say is the best printer to buy so that I can print with my Linux Mint 15 operating system. I keep emailing my print jobs to myself and then switching to the incredibly horrid Windows 7 and fetching my print job and printing from Windows 7, and then switching back to Linux Mint 15 as quickly as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Kodak esp 3.2 AND bust!

Post by dagon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Roger Bird wrote:Since I can't seem to get my Kodak esp 3.2 printer to work (if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them)
I could 't find a deb package for this printer but you can try and build it from source.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/files/

It was updated just a couple of weaks ago with files for the esp 3.2
From the README file
Version 2.7
- As 2.6 but with ppd entries for ESP 1.2 and ESP 3.2...
To install the required packages to build(make) you need to execute this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential cups build-essential cups libcups2-dev libcupsimage2-dev libcupsdriver1-dev
This guy got printing working even without the precise esp 3.2 definitions
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=112139

Roger Bird
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roger Bird » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

So, I have no faith that I would be able to make the ESP 310 driver work on my computer or if I could even find it or even install it.

How about recommending the printer that would be best compatible for Linux Mint 15 Olivia?

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I don't know which company is most Linux friendly when it comes to printers. HP?

Here:
http://community.linuxmint.com/index.php/hardware/
Search: Type = Printer or Type = Printer/Scanner/Multifunction
Status = Works Perfectly

From the first link in my previous post it appears that your printer is supported but the source hasn't reached the mainstream packages yet. Either wait, compile the source yourself or as you suggested, get a new printer.

Return to “Newbie Questions”