digital camera pic's, what program

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bb1
Level 3
Level 3

digital camera pic's, what program

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:32 am

What program do you use for digital camers & readers....w/ LM 16 Cinnimon? I can't find anything that downloads (or uploads) them....or see's any pic's from the USB?
I'm thinking is just another thing that doesn't work (out of the box) like the spell checker & cut/copy/paste?
Lenovo ThinkPad T400 laptop. LM 17 Cinnamon.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: digital camera pic's, what program

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 am

have you tried the file manager? Tried GIMP? How are you attempting to access the pictures? Through a serial or USB cord to the computer, or pulling the flash card and using a media reader with it?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:32 am

Reader to the USB. The reader blinks, but I do not know what program you use in LInux?

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:43 am

bb1 wrote:Reader to the USB. The reader blinks, but I do not know what program you use in LInux?
What do you shoot Jpeg? or proprietary Raw image format Nikon? Canon?

As if you shoot jpegs then Nemo,Caja or any file manager should display the usb card and you can browse and copy images.
Raw will have to use a program that supports reading raw images and supports the camera model you are using.

Also what desktop you are using Mate? Cinnamon?

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:38 am

Orbmiser wrote:
bb1 wrote:Reader to the USB. The reader blinks, but I do not know what program you use in LInux?
What do you shoot Jpeg? or proprietary Raw image format Nikon? Canon?

As if you shoot jpegs then Nemo,Caja or any file manager should display the usb card and you can browse and copy images.
Raw will have to use a program that supports reading raw images and supports the camera model you are using.

Also what desktop you are using Mate? Cinnamon?

I use a regular digtal camera (Fuji F10) XD card, and a USB 2.0 ALL-in-1 Card Reader.
Cinnimon.

Is there a program within LM 16 that can simply download pictures???

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:47 am

Click on the Home icon on desktop, if the USB drive isn't mounted, then do so. You will see all the photos in there. You can have the file manager set to Detail view or to show thumbnails. If you want a program that organizes photos, have you tried gthumb program? Also Picasso can be installed from the Package Manager.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 am

Spearmint2 wrote:Click on the Home icon on desktop, if the USB drive isn't mounted, then do so. You will see all the photos in there. You can have the file manager set to Detail view or to show thumbnails. If you want a program that organizes photos, have you tried gthumb program? Also Picasso can be installed from the Package Manager.
The Home icon basicaly has nothing in the files. Where do I look for the USB drive "mounted"....and what does that mean?

There are NO photos yet on this laptop.

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:38 am

For downloading, my recommendation is to use a usb card reader. Once the card is mounted, user your filemanager (as was suggested above) to download the files to the appropriate directory.

I find it essential (at least for me) to use a decent 2 pane file manager for this type of work. I use Krusader but XFE and MC will also get the job done.

For viewing, I use the gnome Gthumb application (I'm running MATE). It allows viewing the files in thumbnail format with a click to bring up the full sized file (note it does not work with RAW format files).

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:31 am

I can't find anything that downloads (or uploads) them....or see's any pic's from the USB?

"thunar", a file manager (for xfce) like the others mentioned above.

The reader and/or camera will show up in the left panel; click on it and it mounts, if not already mounted. Then navigate to the pics just like you would anywhere else on your file system. They're usually in a directory called DCIM. When done: left-panel->rt-click on reader/camera-> Unmount.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Flemur wrote:I can't find anything that downloads (or uploads) them....or see's any pic's from the USB?

"thunar", a file manager (for xfce) like the others mentioned above.

The reader and/or camera will show up in the left panel; click on it and it mounts, if not already mounted. Then navigate to the pics just like you would anywhere else on your file system. They're usually in a directory called DCIM. When done: left-panel->rt-click on reader/camera-> Unmount.
"left panel" what is that??? AGAIN, I plug my reader into the USB....nothing happens on the screen.
(w/ MS Windows it would bring up a window asking me what I wanted to do)....w/ LM nothing happens, yet my reader lights up.

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Use the filemanager fo choice to see if it appears in /media.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 pm

I use Gthumb for copying the files off the camera/SD card onto the PC, and Darktable and Gimp for manipulating the photos thereafter. Digikam can also import images from a camera or SD card.

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:15 pm

DataMan wrote:Use the filemanager fo choice to see if it appears in /media.

-DataMan
Ok, where do I find these 'file manager' you talk of? Are they included in LM 16?

What does "mounting" mean (to you)? Is it pluging the reader into the USB....or is it something I need to go hunt after like something hidden in a video game???

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Have you looked into the "Menu"? Don't you see any programs there? WHAT do you see?

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:Have you looked into the "Menu"? Don't you see any programs there? WHAT do you see?
Yes, I have looked in the menu....what am I looking for, what catagory, what program (my initial question)?

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Nick Payne wrote:I use Gthumb for copying the files off the camera/SD card onto the PC, and Darktable and Gimp for manipulating the photos thereafter. Digikam can also import images from a camera or SD card.
I have tried that, nothing happened. What is "Digikam"....?

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:27 pm

"left panel" what is that??? AGAIN, I plug my reader into the USB....nothing happens on the screen.

The left panel of the FILE MANAGER that you started from the main system menu under "File Manager", or that you started from the Home icon, or some other location icon on the desktop. Just like you'd do to look at files in any regular directory. The FILE MANAGER is like windows "Explorer".

Have you ever looked at any files in regular directories on your HD? If so, do that again. If not, do it for the first time.

(w/ MS Windows it would bring up a window asking me what I wanted to do).

Windows sucks.

Have you actually tried the things that people keep suggesting, namely start your FILE MANAGER, or are you waiting for linux to tell you what to do? It won't. YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, namely start the file manager. Then look in the left panel of THE FILE MANAGER. Click the camera/reader in the left panel of THE FILE MANAGER. Then the camera/reader files will show up in the main panel of THE FILE MANAGER. Navigate to the pictures with THE FILE MANAGER. Then copy or move the pictures onto the HD with THE FILE MANAGER.

If you're using Cinnamon, the FILE MANAGER is called "nemo". If you can't find the FILE MANAGER entry in the system menu, start a terminal - from the menu - and type:
$ nemo
Don't type the dollar sign! Type "nemo" after the prompt you get in the terminal; the prompt is generally shown as '$' when people are writing about it because you can set it to just about anything you want; the actual prompt will probably be something with your username and current directory.

The camera picture files can be jpgs or RAW or anything else, they're all just FILES to the FILE MANAGER.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Aristotelian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aristotelian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:44 pm

"Mounting" just means that the computer makes your disk drive visible to read and write files. Most times an SD card or USB stick will mount automatically. If for some reason it is not mounting automatically, you may need to right-click on it in the File Manager and select "Mount". You can unmount it when you are not using it to protect you from accidentally wiping out your data.

"File manager" is essentially the Linux equivalent of Windows explorer. It's the program you use to view and manage all your data. Once you find your SD card in File Manager, you should be able to easily copy your photos into a folder in your HDD.

Most Linux systems have a "Home" folder that contains all your data. Usually it is divided into Documents/Pictures/Music/Videos. It is usually best to copy your photos into a folder in Pictures because that is where your photo programs will look by default.

GIMP = Linux equivalent of Photoshop

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:08 pm

#1 I have nothing called a 'file manager' Flemur....it is called 'files'....it sends you to 'Home'.

#2 The terminal search Nemo simply sends me to 'Home'.

#3 There is NOTHING in the 'home' files of Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Video, Downloads, Trash (this is a fresh install).

#4 The only file that has anything in it from 'Home', is 'File Systems'........not manager.

This is Cinnimon.

BTW: I used to work at computer companies developing computer 20yrs ago.

bb1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 pm

'file systems' has 23 files (folders?)....none of which are named 'mount'.

Return to “Newbie Questions”