Recent Places in Nemo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roblevy

Recent Places in Nemo

Post by roblevy »

Hi all,

in Windows 7, there's an amazing feature called "Recent Places" which shows you a list of all the folders you were most recently in. I used this feature all the time.
Selection_007.png
I know of "Recent Files" in the main menu, and "Places" but neither of these quite does the same thing. (Recent Files is files, and Places is only what you ask to be there.)

Is there a way of seeing this in Linux Mint 16, nemo 2.0.8.

Thanks,
Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gas_Mask_

Re: Recent Places in Nemo

Post by Gas_Mask_ »

No there is not. You can set bookmarks though.
roblevy

Post by roblevy »

Shame! Linux Mint seems so beautifully designed to be easy. This seems like a real quick win!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/540 >> Have asked this as a feature request here. Lets hope developers are interested in providing thsi feature.

http://iloveubuntu.net/nautilus-gains-r ... buntu-1210 > Ubuntu's file manager Nautilus seems to have "Recent" entry in its sidebar. Meanwhile, you can install Nautilus via Software Manager if it is a necessity.

roblevy

Post by roblevy »

Thanks anandrkris!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Looks like "Recent" will feature in Cinnamon 2.2. :D Not sure, if it is for both Folders and Files.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commi ... 70c33f0611
crazyaxe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyaxe »

Please put back Nautilus in Cinnamon. Nemo is useless.
I'm professional desktop user, I need recent places to speed up my job.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

crazyaxe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:01 pm Please put back Nautilus in Cinnamon. Nemo is useless.
You are free to install Nautilus on Cinnamon should you wish - hint - I think you'd regret it. It's had loads of features stripped out that Nemo retains. And it doesn't support recent places only recent files - same as Nemo. :wink:

Nemo supports recent files. You need to switch the feature on in the Privacy Settings module. In the Recent's section in Nemo you can right click any item to go to the containing folder.

The one place you will see a recent folders list is in the Nemo context menu actions move to or copy to if you select the browse option - but this is fake - it's just all the folders containing files in the Recent Files list

If you need quick access to folders regularly make use off the Bookmarks feature - that is what it is there for.

You can also access Recents and Bookmarked Places from the menu. Bookmarked places are listed in application save as dialogs.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
crazyaxe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyaxe »

smurphos wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:36 am
crazyaxe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:01 pm Please put back Nautilus in Cinnamon. Nemo is useless.

Nemo supports recent files. You need to switch the feature on in the Privacy Settings module. In the Recent's section in Nemo you can right click any item to go to the containing folder.
Really? Thank you! I didn't find it in the option. I'll investigate and let you know!
crazyaxe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyaxe »

It isn't in NEMO this option, but in Linux mint control panel!!! :shock:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

crazyaxe wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 pm It isn't in NEMO this option, but in Linux mint control panel!!! :shock:
Sorry - I should have been a bit clearer as to where to find it..... :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Beginner Questions”