[SOLVED] Failed to start X server / Caught Signal 11

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Failed to start X server / Caught Signal 11

Post by LeeDoe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Hey everyone, I really hope this is the right section to post in. But anyway, I have a new Laptop, a Lenovo G505 with Windows8, which is unusable. I decided to put on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon, because it was the most appealing to me. The Laptop has a 64-bit architecture, so I used the 64-bit version of Mint. But now the problem, I'm not even able to install it! When I try to it says Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface) and after pressing Y to see the X server output I get
(EE) Fatal Server Error: Caught Signal 11 Server aborting.
There is a similar topic with Mint 13 but it has the answer No screen found and all the answers didn't help. I also searched a bit in the forums but nothing really helps me.
I have at this point of time no knowledge of the usage of Linux so please be detailed. I have a lot of time though so if you need more information feel free to ask.
Thank you
-Lee
Last edited by LeeDoe on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Failed to start X server / Caught Signal 11

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:25 pm

Lee,

It's not easy troubleshooting xserver/graphics errors. However, Cinnamon is more prone to these types of errors than Mate.

I would suggest trying an installation of Mint with the Mate desktop as an easy start.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 pm

I gave Mate a try and burned it to a disk, but the same problem happens.

(EE) Segemtation fault at address 0x8
(EE)
Fatal Server Error:
(EE) Caught Signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting.

Is what it is showing. What I've also noticed is that when I boot from the disk it first shows in white "Empty Security Header", has that something to do with it? There is a similar topic but it has no answer.
As you can see, I'm new to this but thankful for every comment.
-Lee

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Well at least that eliminates the desktop environment as the cause.

Just so I'm clear, is that happening after booting the live media or does this segfault occur after installation to disk i.e., booting for the first time :?:

Does the live media run without error :?:
ImageImage

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 pm

No, it happens on the Live Media, that is the problem, I can't even install it. I've tried both, compability mode and normal booting from CD and both do not work, with Cinnamon and Mate, nothing seems to work. I've thought about trying a different Distro but it was my goal to get Mint running (I've tried OpenSUSE and a KDE based Distro but they did not really appeal to me. I really like how Mint looks but maybe it is impossible.) I might try Ubuntu to see if that works...
Thank you for your post
-Lee

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Lee,

It's very unusual to get segfaults with the live media. I have no explanation for that. Are you sure those iso file are good :?: Did you burn them at the slowest speed possible :?: Did you check the md5sums :?:

The only last-ditch possibility that I can suggest is trying the LTS version.
ImageImage

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:10 am

It can be that it is the burning, but I would not think so. I am using the program that came with my Laptop to burn and 3x is the slowest speed selectable. I will try a special iso-burner and hope that this will change things.
(I just tried Ubuntu and both the just try and the install option are just producing an unusable black screen, no command line, the screen is off.)
We will see. Thank you for your patience.
-Lee

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 am

So, I have tried a special ISO burner, did everything step by step and got the same result (The caught signal 11 error). I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Is it Debian itself? I could try OpenSUSE... Otherwise it would be my Hardware, but wouldn't that be wierd that Windows works but Ubuntu doesn't?
I'd be happy about any kind of advice,
-Lee

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:48 am

LeeDoe wrote:So, I have tried a special ISO burner, did everything step by step and got the same result (The caught signal 11 error). I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Is it Debian itself? I could try OpenSUSE... Otherwise it would be my Hardware, but wouldn't that be wierd that Windows works but Ubuntu doesn't?
I'd be happy about any kind of advice,
-Lee
I gotta be honest with you and admit that I'm stumped :(

Do you get the initial 10 second countdown with the mint logo or does it just error out with nothing showing :?:
ImageImage

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:28 am

No, the Logo appears always, in Ubuntu I got the orange/white dots indicating that it was loading and in Mint I get the typical logo but then it does not work anymore. Should I contact Lenovo?
(I'm downloading OpenSUSE at the moment, until I've tried this I won't do anything, but it is my last resort...)
Thank you for helping me so far, I really appreciate it.
-Lee

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:49 am

Have a look at this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

You might be able to hit the 'e' key to edit the kernel line.
ImageImage

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:27 am

Tried it out, there is nothing really to edit, because I am not even able to boot from my live DVD and can't install Mint either. It doesn't let me edit anything on my DVD, so it is not possible. Also OpenSUSE is too big for regular DVDs, so I'm not able to try it out.
Thanks though for the tip.
-Lee

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Lee,

I watched the video and, unfortunately, I can't add anything other than I already did.

Part of the the problem on my end is I haven't crossed the UEFI bridge yet.

The error you're getting is a segmentation problem which simply means that the program is accessing memory that it shouldn't be using or in a way that's not allowed like writing in areas that are occupied by other processes. Put more simply it has run amuck.

Fixing these types of errors requires identifying the cause, modifying and recompiling the source code. This is not a task that the end-user is equipped to tackle.

The problem could be related to UEFI, but I can't be sure of it having no experience with it.

The only thing I can suggest is to bump the thread after a few days to keep it visible. There are forum rules pertaining to bumping so you might want to review that first.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 am

LeeDoe wrote:It can be that it is the burning, but I would not think so. I am using the program that came with my Laptop to burn and 3x is the slowest speed selectable. I will try a special iso-burner and hope that this will change things.
(I just tried Ubuntu and both the just try and the install option are just producing an unusable black screen, no command line, the screen is off.)
We will see. Thank you for your patience.
-Lee
Have you used the keyboard key to turn the display on or adjust the brightness of the screen? I just about gave up on installing Mint on a Lenovo G710 because it appeared to be a display driver issue with Mint. I still have to change the brightness on it every time I reboot which isn't a big issue to me

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thanosfrag » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 am

Hi LeeDoe, I can across a similar problem whilst installing LM 16 cinnamon on my brand new laptop. In my case, the following solution worked like a charm.

I plugged my live usb and waited until the grub menu (black screen with white letters saying install Linux Mint etc.) appeared. Then, I edited the grub by pressing 'e'. Then I went to the line starting with the word linux and ending with the words: quiet splash. I replaced ''quiet splash'' with ''nomodeset'' and then pressed ''Cntr + X'' to boot. The black screen appeared again after the installation. I initially repeated the above solution, however, I realised that it was the brightness control, as JeremyB mentioned above, that caused the black screen. I simply pressed the F3 key which is set by default to increase the screen brightness on my laptop. Once logged in to my freshly installed Mint, I installed my graphic card's drivers, which I found on the manufacturers website - it was Intel in my case (If you need additional information on how to install Intel graphic card drivers get back to this thread).

Hope it helps! Good Luck!

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Thank you all and especially thanosfrag for trying to help me! I have tied it out to edit quiet splash to nomodeset and it really started to install, though now I get a new Error:
Fatal Server Error:
[53.596] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[53.596] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support

Which can't be true, because it is a laptop. I have yet to check the forums for no screens found and will do that now, I just wanted to post my results.
Thank you so far for helping, even though it is complicated at the moment.

LeeDoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeeDoe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Ok, I found a solution that worked here on the forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nd#p836339) and was able to get into Mint. I will install it, but it doesn't recognize my touchpad, so I have to go buy the most basic mouse I can find...
A big thanks to everyone who helped me, I am happy to finally see reults!
Also, How do you mark something as solved? I have no errors, so this thread is done.
(PS: Quick summary if someone ever has this problem.
1. When you are in the GRUB menu, press e and replace "quiet splash" in the first line with "nomodeset". You should get the no screens found error now.
2. Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and run

Code: Select all

sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp /home/mint/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx
Ignore all errors.
Done, that is how it worked for me, I hope this helped!)

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 pm

LeeDoe,

Congrats on getting it to install. When I saw seg faults, I wouldn't have thought it was possible. I suspected EFI, but lucky for you I was wrong :D

To mark the thread as solved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the title/subject line.

Good luck with and enjoy mint :wink:
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”