Re: ndiswrapper not present [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjh_op »

Hi to all, this is my first post in these forums. My problem is getting the wireless card to work.

I'm entirely new to Linux but an experienced IT professional (c 50 years).

Mint 16 installed fine on two PCs in parallel with a Windows version (XP and Vista), but wifi, which works perfectly from Win, has not been auto-detected. I have seen that for this box ndiswrapper and a specific .inf file are known to work and I have installed the .inf file and it shows hardware present.

However, ndiswrapper is not present and I can't find it to install eg by "apt install ndiswrapper --install-recommends" and all of my searches within the mint system give not found. I have managed to download a tar file with the ndiswrapper code v 1.59, but I don't know how to install it, nor do I know if it is compatible with Petra.

One important reason for installing Linux is as a trial to help a significant proportion of my informal ageing and not computer savvy users to continue to use their equally ageing XP PCs after XP runs out of support in April. Clearly Wifi will be essential for many of them and if it's this hard for me (I've been working on this for 3 days), they will have no chance!

Probably worth adding that, apart from the wifi issue, everything else seems to work well and I'm pretty impressed.

Help to get my wifi sorted would be much appreciated.

Details of my system are:
inxi -Fxz

System: Host: mike-mintxp Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine: System: Dell product: ME051
Mobo: Dell model: 0GD366 Bios: Dell version: A04 date: 12/22/2005
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (nx sse sse2) bmips: 1596.18 clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 ver: 2.0 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 02:03.0
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (8.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHV2080A size: 80.0GB temp: 36C
Partition: ID: / size: 18G used: 6.7G (41%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 51.5C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 134 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 369.7/994.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Last edited by mjh_op on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: ndiswrapper not present

Post by jungle_boy »

Open synaptic (GUI software manager) and search ndiswrapper; right click to mark and install it.

Using apt command: sudo apt-get install blablabla (name_of_the_file)
Dell Inspiron 5480, Quad-core, Core I5 8th Gen, Geforce MX 150,
LM 20 Cinnamon
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Unfortunately you have a troublesome wireless card. Did you try installing b43-fwcutter :?:

For ndiswrapper I think the package you need is ndiswrapper-dkms. If you open the terminal and

Code: Select all

aptitude search ndiswrapper
you'll see the results.

This is from the kernel help contents
CONFIG_B43LEGACY: │
│ │
│ b43legacy is a driver for 802.11b devices from Broadcom (BCM4301 and │
│ BCM4303) and early model 802.11g chips (BCM4306 Ver. 2) used in the │
│ Linksys WPC54G V1 PCMCIA devices. │
│ │
│ Newer 802.11g and 802.11a devices need b43. │
│ │
│ It is safe to include both b43 and b43legacy as the underlying glue │
│ layer will automatically load the correct version for your device. │
│ │
│ This driver uses V3 firmware, which must be installed separately using │
│ b43-fwcutter. │
│ │
│ This driver can be built as a module (recommended) that will be │
│ called "b43legacy". If unsure, say M. │
│ │
│ Symbol: B43LEGACY [=m] │
│ Type : tristate │
│ Prompt: Broadcom 43xx-legacy wireless support (mac80211 stack) │
│ Location: │
│ -> Device Drivers │
│ -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y]) │
│ -> Wireless LAN (WLAN [=y]) │
│ Defined at drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/Kconfig:1 │
│ Depends on: NETDEVICES [=y] && WLAN [=y] && SSB_POSSIBLE [=y] && MAC80211 [=m] && HAS_DMA [=y] │
│ Selects: SSB [=m] && FW_LOADER [=y]

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage
mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjh_op »

Many thanks for the suggestions, all followed. ndiswrapper installed with no problems and after some fiddling around, it almost looked as if was going to work, but it didn't. I want to try a few more things, but probably I'll still need help...

Would you expect the MAC address for the wifi card to be the same as for the wired connection? If the card was set up corectly, would you expect the MAC address to be detected and displayed as an option (it wasn't)?

Any useful documentation on wifi setup for a newbie to refer to?
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

mjh_op,

Every network adapter has a unique MAC. Try

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
The first line for the adapter will have HWaddr
ImageImage
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Install ndisgtk if not installed. Ndiswrapper requires XP driver or older. Vista´s and newer does not work with Ndiswrapper.
http://puolanka.info/distrowatch/ndiswr ... ver-setup/
http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks
mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjh_op »

Thanks for the further advice.

Good news: I discovered that on the other (Vista) box the Wireless card had been recognised and that's all working fine

Bad news: On the XP box, I started getting Segmentation faults, due almost certainly to a wifi configuration process not completing properly (it stalled and never finished). Eventually I had to reinstall LMDE from scratch, another learning experience! I will go back to tackling the Wifi connection when I have the time. Leave this one open please for a while...
mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjh_op »

After a lot more consideration a better solution seems to be to abandon the installed wifi and use a USB wifi card instead. One important advantage is that the USB wifi card supports the encryption of my recent wifi router, whereas the built in one is too old. For less than £10, this seems a better plan. This thread can be closed - how do I do that?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: ndiswrapper not present [Solved]

Post by Reorx »

Manually edit the title to include [Solved]
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image
mjh_op
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjh_op »

...thanks, thanks also for the next message...
Last edited by mjh_op on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

EDIT the title of the First post in the thread will result in the title on the board being changed...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”