I can`t use Mint!:(

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

Re: I can`t use Mint!:(

Post by AK Dave »

Mint XFCE would be my recommendation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

GNOME would probably run for you, but it would not be nearly as fast as Xfce. The GNOME Live CD is barely functional with 256 MB of RAM. Though, once a swap file is established, GNOME would probably install. I think you are going to see the consensus suggesting you will have the best success and satisfaction with the Xfce version of Mint.

I have a machine running Mint Xfce just great with only 256 MB RAM. You can keep your current computer running for many years to come. If you found another 256 MB stick of RAM, that would be even better. Good luck.
kf4krv

Post by kf4krv »

I've been running Mint V5 r1 on 256mb for a few weeks with no problems as I put together my simple network. Note that so far all I've run has been firefox and the network along with some of the built-in utilities. Give it a shot!

Ed
KF4KRV

Return to “Beginner Questions”