Hard Drive Data Recovery Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
spdmrphy
Level 1
Level 1

Hard Drive Data Recovery Problem

Post by spdmrphy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 am

Hi,

My laptop recently "died" on me, and I removed the hard drive and put it into a case for use as an external hard drive and allow me to recover any of my old information stored on it.

It was set up as a dual boot of Mint and Windows 7, I used windows mostly for music storage and a few programs I couldn't run on Mint. All the important stuff was on the linux partition.

Anyway, the hard drive is undamaged and working fine, except that when I plug it in to another computer, it appears to contain only the Windows files. It is mounting as two partitions alright - "System Reserved" which empty and is only 99MB in size, and "Acer" which is 121MB and is the Windows partition. The HDD is 250GB if I remember correctly.

Am I missing something? I have only had the opportunity to mount it on a mac and a windows pc so far - will the Linux portion become visible when mounted on a Linux system? Is it possible the linux partition is stored somewhere else on the laptop? (I doubt it is, but just though I'd entertain the possibility). Or, has the partition and all the data been lost somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Spud

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hard Drive Data Recovery Problem

Post by DataMan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 am

My recommendation is to first either boot to a LiveCD and run Gparted if you have installed it in your Lx ops. This will help you identify the actual partitions and designations on your hard drive.

If you Lx partition is intact:

1. Boot back to your Lx ops
2. Make a directory (folder in Windows parlance) in /media
3. At command level issue

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sdb(insert the partition number you want to mount) /media/(name of partition created in #2).
sudo chown (your login id) /media/(name of the directory created in #s)
Use your file browser of choice to move things around.

If you did not find the partition you are looking for in GParted, then you may be faced with data recovery. That's a whole other story (with details).

Hope this helps.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

spdmrphy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spdmrphy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 am

Cheers DataMan, appreciate the help. I'll give your suggestions a blast and get back with results later.

Thanks again.

Spud

spdmrphy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spdmrphy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:03 am

Phew,

Just ran Ubuntu on the computer at work from a USB, and the drive mounted fine with all data intact. Thank f*ck! Probably should have tried that first, but I was panicking a bit.

Thanks anyway for your help DataMan.

Spud

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:33 am

If you mean gparted there's a small stand-alone Linux boot disk ISO, that you can get free, which fits on a CD...
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gparted
Tommy reports the scan of zircon and opal storage is complete. When shall we go today?

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 am

SystemRescueCD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page offers a suite of applications geared toward recovery and backup. It's a LiveCD so you'll need to boot to the CD. I've been using it for years.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Return to “Newbie Questions”