Install Mint on a free OS Laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Install Mint on a free OS Laptop

Post by thanosfrag » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:32 am

Hi guys,

I am about to buy a brand new HP laptop (Compaq CQ58-d69SG) which comes with no operating system pre-installed. (This is basically one of the main reasons for buying this laptop, I wouldn't like to pay for Windows since I am not going to use it).

I have some good basic knowledge on how to install Mint. However, I have never set up so far Linux Mint on a completely blank operating System (OS) machine.

Could anybody offer some general tips on how to install Linux Mint on a completely blank OS laptop, as well as some tips for avoiding potential pitfalls?

Since more and more brand new laptops are sold with no operating system pre-installed, it would be much appreciated if more seasoned linux mint users see this post as an opportunity to attract and help new users.

Once my installation is successfully done (hopefully), I will post a thread with steps and tips based on both your comments and my experience on how to install Mint on brand new free OS machines.

Thank you guys.
Last edited by thanosfrag on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Install Mint on a free OS Laptop

Post by xenopeek » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:48 am

That laptop has a Ivy Bridge generation Intel processor (i5-3230m), which has built-in graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4000). (specs) Given that this processor was introduced after Linux Mint 13 was released, I recommend you use Linux Mint 16 to ensure you get the Linux kernel that works best with this processor. I can't find specifics about ethernet/wifi chip, so you'll have to see if and how that works. I doubt though that FreeDOS has drivers for hardware that wouldn't also be available on Linux.

As for installation, nothing special I think. The installer will probably offer you the option to install alongside the existing operating system. Whether you want to do that or not is up to you; you could also select to use the entire disk for Linux Mint. The installer will take of the rest :wink:

I recommend you fully test your hardware while booted from the Linux Mint installation DVD/USB; so test that sound works, that you can connect to the Internet, that the keyboard controls for screen brightness and such work. If everything works, go ahead and install. If something doesn't work, come back here for help.

Tejas_0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tejas_0 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:51 am

As long as it comes with a BIOS and you can get your hands on a Mint cd/dvd/usb there should be no problem ;)
Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit
Linux mint 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:42 pm

In a case like yours, my preference would be to run the live dvd first and run gparted to create three partitions on the hard drive. You may need to install gparted in the live session. I would create one partition as ext4 (or ext3 or whatever your preference is), about 8 GB in size, to serve as the location for "/", another partition as swap equal in size to the amount of RAM you have, and the balance of the hard drive as ext4, to be used for data. Then install Mint to "/". After installing I would configure Mint to automount the large data partition, then change your Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos etc. directories over to the data partition. That way, if you ever want to upgrade to a different version of Mint, you just install the new version to "/" and re-link to your data directories without worrying about overwriting your data.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:06 am

I don't know if LIVE DVD install program will setup a RAW hard drive. You may need to setup the drive first using the manufacture software first.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”