Mint 16 printer installation headaches

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
davej50
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 16 printer installation headaches

Post by davej50 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:06 pm

I have been trying to install a brother printer model MFC-J470DW from a brother printer website, after downloading, the instructions say to go to the file/directory, using terminal, where the file was downloaded to..Well, that is the problem, I have been unable to change the directory using cd..The terminal keeps telling me that there is no such directory/file, /download..Is there an easier way to install this printer or am I doing something wrong?

MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 16 printer installation headaches

Post by MrBob22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Looks like this printer has a Linux download that can be installed using either an rpm or deb install. I would try to install using the package manager.
BTW, I looked at the Brother page (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... e.html#101) and it seems it requires a bit of prep before you can install since there are some specific legal things (related to sending faxes etc.) that are not installed by default. You might need to dig into this a bit before the whole shebang will work. MrBob22

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 am

Download the 2 .deb files and install those. Any missing dependencies will be checked by gdebi and also installed.
When you downloaded those 2 files you can double click them and gdebi will be started automatically.

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:10 am

I suggest following the instructions in the link below (the post is in Mint's Tutorials). Brothers is notorious for poor install instructions. Using the below, I was recently successful at installing a DCP-7040.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=103900

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:24 pm

davej50 wrote:I have been trying to install a brother printer model MFC-J470DW from a brother printer website, after downloading, the instructions say to go to the file/directory, using terminal, where the file was downloaded to..Well, that is the problem, I have been unable to change the directory using cd..The terminal keeps telling me that there is no such directory/file, /download..Is there an easier way to install this printer or am I doing something wrong?
OBTW: The command line (terminal) IS CASE SENSITIVE... so Download is different than download. The download folder in your home folder begins with an upper case D (and ends with a lower case s)... :mrgreen:

Try this >>>

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
Enjoy the mint! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

davej50
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davej50 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Solved Thank You All For Your Help

Return to “Newbie Questions”