Mint 16 64-bit certain progs *very* slow

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
simiuscerebrum
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 16 64-bit certain progs *very* slow

Post by simiuscerebrum » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 pm

I installed Mint 16 64-bit tonight on a desktop computer. I notice that certain programs take FOREVER to open (like a full minute), and basically lock up the system until they finally do open. So far I have noticed it in all the "Manager" programs: Sofware Manager, Update Manager, and Driver Manager. Any ideas what could be causing this? Everything else seems to work great and is as zippy as I would expect on this system.

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 board (AMD 970) w/ AMD FX6300 and Kingston DDR memory, Samsung SSD, AMD R7 250X video

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 16 64-bit certain progs *very* slow

Post by tdockery97 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 pm

Each of the three programs you mentioned is actually using that "extra" time taken to open. Software Manager and Update Manager are refreshing the software repositories to determine package availability. Driver Manager is searching for available drivers.
KDE Neon

simiuscerebrum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simiuscerebrum » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:03 am

tdockery97 wrote:Each of the three programs you mentioned is actually using that "extra" time taken to open. Software Manager and Update Manager are refreshing the software repositories to determine package availability. Driver Manager is searching for available drivers.
No, no one would design a program to run *that* long with no status notification and lock up the system for the whole time, too, LOL

On my 4 year old laptop they all pop up the password screen immediately and open in just a few seconds. There is definitely something wrong with them on my desktop. I just need to figure out what it is. I'm guessing it doesn't like some hardware component...which means I've either got a lot of tedious work ahead of me or I need to try a different distro.

simiuscerebrum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simiuscerebrum » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Apparently others are having this issue, too: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=153825

Looks like it is a problem with AMD HD7000 (and their R7 counterparts) video cards. No solution as yet, except live with it or use a distro that is not broken.

Return to “Newbie Questions”