should I switch?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
beelzebufo
Level 1
Level 1

should I switch?

Post by beelzebufo »

I have been using ubuntu for several years, I am very comfortable with it, but I am thinking of making a switch. Linux mint is very good looking, seems to have a large and friendly community and seems to be very stable. I am just wondering how many of you had switched from another distro, and if you were happy with moving to Mint. What are some things that I may like over ubuntu, and what may cause me problems?

thanks for the input,
beelze

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: should I switch?

Post by passerby »

Some of the reasons and experiences of people making the change are discussed here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=155967
Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, they're basically the same in terms of installing software, terminal commands, software compatibility, etc.
Ultimately the things you'll like/dislike will stem from which desktop environment you choose. eg. Cinnamon has a lot of snappy features, but is a bit resource heavy. XFCE is very lightweight and customizable, great on old hardware, but lacks development.
Just run off a live DVD or in virtualbox if you're unsure.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

beelzebufo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beelzebufo »

thank you, I have been running on vbox for a few days, I like it so far, easy, easy switch from ubuntu, really just a DE change it seems, thanks again for the reply, I just wanted to get some user's points of view.

thanks again
beelze

baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

You can always install Cinnamon over top of your existing Ubuntu install, by simply adding the official cinnamon repo. It's in the standard Ubuntu repos, but hasn't been updated in a very long time so will have bugs.

However, I suggest a clean install of Mint, as installing over the top of Ubuntu has proven slow and many features don't get installed.

I switched from Ubuntu a couple of months back and find the change somewhat refreshing.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

I would definitely switch from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. I have never been a big fan of Ubuntu.
You should probably create a live USB with Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon and use it for a while. It will help you to make your choice. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid »

the things that made me to choose LM over ubuntu are:
(these experiences were in gnome and cinnamon)
1. it's a bit easier than ubuntu
2. when i first started using terminal i noticed that ubuntu requires cd command to go to a place on the other hand LM provides an option when browsing a folder to open terminal in that folder (with the path to that folder). it actually depends on file manager though, but getting something by default is always convenient.
3. i don't like the default unity DE of ubuntu and there's not the option "open as root" available, may be it also depends on file manager though. but in LM this is a wonderful facility to me.
4. LM remembers previous terminal commands even after a complete shutdown but ubuntu did not (when i made the decision between them, i don't know if they have implemented this).
5. LM is more customizable and rich in variations
these things were the most convenient technical facilities for which i decided to move on to LM.
and later i found many interesting things such as the more friendly LM community and forum.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

I switched over to using Mint instead of Ubuntu last year. I've not liked the Unity desktop ever since it came out. I kept seeing positive reviews of Mint so I installed Mint 14 instead of Ubuntu -- and have not looked back.

And yeah, you can install Cinammon in Ubuntu, but I decided to go with Mint, anyway.

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

I changed from Kubuntu to Mint KDE because all kinds of codecs are already pre installed in Mint (it saves you the time to install them afterwards manually)
Mint turns out to be very stable IMO, Also Mint looks a bit more polished than Ubuntu.

I would prefer a roling release over the 6 months release cycles, and tried SolydK, but I came back to Mint because of some bugs in SolydK.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

beelzebufo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beelzebufo »

thank you all very much, I would also prefer a rolling release cycle, that is one of the things that is holding me up. as to installing cinnamon over my ubuntu install, I have tried that, it has worked in the past, but for whatever reason, I can't get it to go on this particular machine. I have also noticed that you are usually better off just going with the actual distro (ubuntu gnome, linux mint, etc) rather than trying to get a custom DE to work on a system that isn't necessarily designed for it. After putzing around a bit on a vm, I think I will go with Linux Mint. Thanks again, and I will see you all on the forums :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”