Newbie with Big problems!!! [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jonowood
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie with Big problems!!! [SOLVED]

Post by jonowood »

My old winXP desktop seems to have developed a serious issue and I can not start up XP. A couple of restores have not worked either from the boot disk or recovery partition.

I have been looking at trying to run Linux on the machine to access the HDD's.

I have tried creating the iso image DVD but this does not seem to want to boot. Having checked my media, this is a DVD+RW. Is it essential for the DVD to be created on - R? To initially run and "live" version.

The desktop has to HDD. One is pretty full (90%) and the other had loads of space. I do not want to lose the data. If/when I get Linux working, provided I select the correct drive will I be able to install Linux without wiping the disks?
Last edited by jonowood on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Newbie with Big problems!!!

Post by daveinuk »

Hello, not 100% sure on the disc question, maybe you need to finalize it (i think that's the term) not really burnt many discs for a while to do this now as I boot from USB sticks, much less fuss, maybe try that instead? http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
Don't forget to check the md5sum matches . . . . .

You should get an option in the installer to install alongside windows as it should be detected, if so choose that, if not don't, 'cos then you will wipe everything.

Get a live usb/dvd done and running first and come back to the other questions when you've tried it out and made sure your hardware all works OK, you won't make any changes at all doing this until you take the plunge to install.

HTH

Edit: you are burning an image and not a file or data aren't you ?

jonowood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonowood »

Dave,

Thanks. I think I am burning an image. I will try the USB option as well if can find my USB stick!

I am also going to invest in some DVD -R discs tomorrow just in case.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

Hi,

Media not booting can have multiple causes:
- Data corruption while downloading or burning the media
- Bios not setup to boot from removable media
Your bios should be setup to boot from CD/DVD first, than removable disk and as last, the normal PC harddrive.

It is a very long time I burnt CDs or DVDs, so I cannot offer advice in that area.
An alternative to burning your Linux image to a DVD, is to make a bootable USB stick via http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
It is one of the many ways you can put linux distro's on an USB stick, if you want more examples of such SW,
do a google search on "make linux usb from windows"

Since I only have linux on my PC, I cannot make some screenshots made on windows to guide you in the process.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

"My old winXP desktop seems to have developed a serious issue and I can not start up XP. "
Which Mint are you trying to install? I had good luck with Mint 16 Mate on an old XP machine (Pentium 4, 32 bit, 1gb ram). I was not able to run Mint 16 Cinnamon on that machine,

"I have tried creating the iso image DVD but this does not seem to want to boot. Having checked my media, this is a DVD+RW. Is it essential for the DVD to be created on - R? To initially run and "live" version."
Be sure you have the 32 bit, if that is what you need. Do a checksum on the .iso file you downloaded. I have never tried a DVD+RW so I don't know about that, but it should work the same as DVD-R. The usb option might not work for you on an old machine. Check your bios to see if you can boot from usb.

"The desktop has two HDD. One is pretty full (90%) and the other had loads of space. I do not want to lose the data. If/when I get Linux working, provided I select the correct drive will I be able to install Linux without wiping the disks?"
You can very easily install Mint to the spare drive without disturbing the Windows drive. You can also move all your data to an external hard drive or usb drive, allowing you to recover the space that WinXP is using right now. Of course, you could do that after Mint is installed to the other drive, also.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

jonowood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonowood »

thanks guys. Having checked BIOS cant boot from USB so will have another go at burning ISO image.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In addition to the settings in the BIOS, you also have the boot menu that you get by pressing F12 or F10 when you boot (check the bottom of the screen).
usb boot might be listed there.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

austin.texas wrote:In addition to the settings in the BIOS, you also have the boot menu that you get by pressing F12 or F10 when you boot (check the bottom of the screen).
usb boot might be listed there.
You are right. This menu is very important. In my case live USB don't want to boot if I don't use the boot menu... :wink:
It's strongly dependent of motherboard brand. Asus boot menu for example can be reached with F8 or ESC.
Google boot menu and the brand of your laptop/motherboard for more information. Sometime a picture don't show Bios/memory information at the beginning of the boot sequence. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

jonowood wrote:thanks guys. Having checked BIOS cant boot from USB so will have another go at burning ISO image.
If you can boot from USB, don't burn a disc.
Create an live USB using unetbootin http://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-unet ... usb-linux/ or with MintStick.

You will save a DVD and the live session will run faster. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

jonowood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonowood »

I have created a live DVD thanks and have got a little further. I will now look at the boot posts as I seem to have a screen full of errors eg

[156.892018] [<c1620fc8>] ? pgtable_bad+0x6c/0x86
[156.892018] [<c162f26d>] ? __do_page_fault+0x4cd/0x4f0

I have now rebooted and am up and running with Mint. Now need to find my second HDD. I can see the primary HDD etc but not the secondary. Time for a bit of homework on Linux.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

When you are running Mint, open a terminal and enter the command -
sudo fdisk -lu
Post the result here.
Linux Linx 2018

jonowood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonowood »

mint@mint ~ $ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 80.1 GB, 80060424192 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9733 cylinders, total 156368016 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf2cbca36

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 12578894 6289416 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2 * 12578895 156344579 71882842+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
mint@mint ~ $

jonowood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonowood »

Doing a bit more digging around, I had disabled HD boot groups in bios due to XP issues. Can now see but cant mount. so a bit more research but getting there.
Last edited by jonowood on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Please go to your first post, click Edit, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”