Illegible characters

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DavidZ
Level 1
Level 1

Illegible characters

Post by DavidZ »

Hi,

In firefox and libreoffice I am frequently getting illegible characters. See attachment. How can I fix this?

Thanks.
Attachments
illegible.png

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Illegible characters

Post by grimdestripador »

I get those when I have my ram clocked incorrectly and my computer is in the midst of crashing. You also might have a dying harddrive. Do tell, have you booted off a LIVE DVD and does it behave the same?

DavidZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidZ »

grimdestripador wrote:I get those when I have my ram clocked incorrectly and my computer is in the midst of crashing. You also might have a dying harddrive. Do tell, have you booted off a LIVE DVD and does it behave the same?
Yes it behaves the same...

I don't get this problem when I boot up into debian. Some problem with the cinnamon video driver maybe?

DavidZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidZ »

I Have fixed this finally.

For future reference:

You need to add/modify a file(20-intel.conf) at the address : /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

If xorg.conf.d does not exist, create it.
This file 20-intel.conf contents :

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection

Return to “Newbie Questions”