Hibernate can't be clicked, why??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kenjiiii
Level 1
Level 1

Hibernate can't be clicked, why??

Post by kenjiiii »

Hey guy, I can't click the button to hibernate the notebook. Can you tell me how to switch it on?
It's the menu which can be opend by clicking on the name in the task bar. I hope you understand what i mean.
I tried to make a screenshot but always when I open the tool the menu hieds and the printscr button does not work -.-

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hibernate can't be clicked, why??

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kenjiiii.
kenjiiii wrote:I tried to make a screenshot but always when I open the tool the menu hieds and the printscr button does not work -.-
You are on Mint Cinnamon, aren't you?
Please, have a look at the folder ~/Pictures. I bet there as many screenshot files as you pressed the <PrtScr> key.
Reason:
The default behaviour of <PrtScr> on Cinnamon is to invoke gnome-screenshot in non-interactive mode. It will take a screenshot of your whole screen and store it in the folder ~/Pictures. The filename should look like "Screenshot taken <date><time>.png". The only feedback which you may notice when gnome-screenshot takes such a screenshot may be a camera clicking sound, if any at all.
This behaviour has surprised many a user and fooled them into thinking gnome-screenshot did not work at all. It does.

Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

kenjiiii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenjiiii »

Thank you I managed to take a snapshot.
Attachments
hiber.png
hiber.png (25.55 KiB) Viewed 411 times

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 »

There is probably no swap partition or zfs swap file setup, hence no hibernation.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

I used these instructions to activate hibernation in mint 16 KDE
http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-to- ... ntu-12.04/

You also need a swap partition the same size or bigger than your RAM memory because that is where your memory
contents is saved during hibernation.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

kenjiiii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenjiiii »

You mean I did not set it up when installing it? Well i think i did. and i can use the pm hibernate command to do so.
I will work through the site you added and see whether it works.
For now thanks of course!

Return to “Newbie Questions”