Workspaces / Virtual Desktops no prefs no applet in Mate 16

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jodel
Level 1
Level 1

Workspaces / Virtual Desktops no prefs no applet in Mate 16

Post by jodel »

I just ran Linux Mint 16 MATE 64 Bit from CD to test it and wondered why there are no workspaces.

Apparently there are, I can find them with CTRL-ALT-left/right arrow keys

What I am not able to find is a menu for controlling the number of workspaces or anything similar. I've been looking in preferences and administration menus but to no avail. Also there seems to be no workspace applet started by default. I can load the applet, but I know my way around at least a little bit. But how should a new user, who is testing the release, know how to load the applet or know the ctrl-alt-arrowkeys combination?

Did I miss the correct preferences? I feel dumb, sorry, that's why the questions goes here. It's probably very simple.
jintawk

Re: Workspaces / Virtual Desktops no prefs no applet in Mate

Post by jintawk »

Right click panel -> add to panel -> workspace switcher -> right click the switcher -> preferences
jodel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jodel »

jintawk wrote:Right click panel -> add to panel -> workspace switcher -> right click the switcher -> preferences
Thanks. I know that. But how should a newbie know who is trying out Linux Mint?

I am searching for a real preferences or something that would pop up when writing a search string in the menu like "workspaces" or "desktops" but there seems to be nothing.

If you want to tell me that - in fact - there is no such option and newbies are left alone thinking there is only one workspace, that's fine too. I just cannot believe that. This is not Win8. That's why I am searching.
jintawk

Post by jintawk »

I do agree with you, it is hard to find. I would always recommend Cinnamon to a newbie, where such things are as easy to find as you describe.
jintawk

Post by jintawk »

And I don't think there is another GUI menu anywhere for workspace settings as far as I can tell. I don't use MATE myself though, only having a look now to help you out.
jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid »

what about using cinnamon instead of mate then. you will see the workspaces by just moving the mouse to the left top corner and for adding workspace, a huge + sign at right middle corner. you can modify it to work for every corner too.
new users coming from windows find this feature really cool...
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

Return to “Newbie Questions”