Black screen after logging in! [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Black screen after logging in! [solved]

Post by thanosfrag » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi guys,

I need your help on the following issue.

I had a perfectly running LM16 64bit laptop for more than a month and until an hour ago. My laptop boots normally as before. However, when the log in interface appears, enter my log in details and hit enter, I get a black screen with the mouse cursor in white colour.

Here are some of my newbie attempts to fix it:

(a) I attempted to run my system into a recovery mode, though unsuccessfully. Black screen comes again.

(b) I replaced the 'quite splash' line in the grub with that of 'nomodeset', as I wanted to make sure that no graphic card issue is involved. Again, black screen appears.

(c) I had a look on the forum, as well as on some other ububtu forums, but couldn't find a concrete solution. The only thread related to my problem is the following (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=161392&p=831428&hilit=black+screen+after+log+in#p831428). In this thread, user Karlchen suggests to run on pseudo console monitors (tty) the more .xsession-errors command, which I run and found no error messages.

Does anyone have an idea on how to tackle this?

Thanks!
T.
Last edited by thanosfrag on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thommo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Black screen after logging in!

Post by Thommo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:56 am

I too have same problem, scoured the web for solutions but none have worked for me.
Hope you have better luck. :D

You might want to try Boot-Repair, though it didn't work for me some people report success:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Mint17 Qiana 64 Bit Cinnamon DT

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thanosfrag » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks Thommo for the suggestion. It didn't work though :( Black screen again and again! What a frustration!

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:25 pm

I've found that, in some cases, using "xforcevesa" works better than "nomodeset". It's worth a try.

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thanosfrag » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks Mark. Xforcevesa option implemented but didnt work :( .

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thanosfrag » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am

I have marked this thread as solved, eventhough it was in principle not. Anyway, I did manage to solve the black screen issue by reinstalling petra, as I had no other option. However, please feel free to offer more suggestions, as they may help other fellow users that may encounter the same issue.

Last edited by thanosfrag on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thommo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Thommo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

thanosfrag wrote:I have marked this thread as solved, eventhough it was in principle not. Anyway, I did manage to solve the black screen issue by reinstalling petra, as I had no other option. However, please feel free to offer more suggestions, as they make help other fellow users that may encounter the same issue.

I too did a clean install as couldn't find a solution either, though was fortunate in that I was able to back up all my files beforehand via live CD so saved me a lot of grief.
Black screen seems a common problem with no clear cause.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=161771
Mint17 Qiana 64 Bit Cinnamon DT

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Black screen after logging in! [solved]

Post by thanosfrag » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 am

I did an extensive search on this forum, as well as on ubuntu related forums, and could not find a concrete solution to it :(

It's a shame though that the causes of this type of black screen problem are still mostly unidentified.

In terms of backing up my files, I did manage it in a rather different way. I had installed alongside Petra cinnamon, the xfce version of Petra. In this way, I did not only manage to back up my files but also keep working on my daily duties. I would recommend this as a safe option too. However, I replaced recently Petra xfce with Ubuntu 13.10. The main reason for this, eventhough I am not very fond of Ubuntu, is to minimize possible risks involved in running Mint versions only on my PC.

Anyway Thommo, could you please let me know in case you come across a reliable solution? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks buddy!

twomby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by twomby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:07 pm

I experienced the same issue after a fresh install yesterday. Updated everything with Update Manager, installed 2-3 programs (truecrypt, steam, skype).
I'm very disappointed with Mint so far. Experienced issues on multiple systems with either XFCE, KDE or Cinnamon versions. I thought Cinnamon would be the most stable, but it randomly crashes. I can move my mouse around but the interface won't respond to mouse clicks at all. Cannot find any relevant thread to help me with this either.

Then, while I was looking to solve this first problem last night, I rebooted, only to be greeted by a black screen with only my mouse cursor after logging in. I want to get rid of Windows, but I need a stable system, and these issues leave me increasingly frustrated!

Running on a Intel i5 with Radeon HD 7790 graphic card. I wish someone could lend a hand. I would like to avoid a reinstall. Thanks!

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thanosfrag » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:30 pm

I am sorry to hear that twomby. I know how frustrating it is :evil:

Try command line

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
on terminal and post the output here. Perhaps more advanced users may spot something interesting.

I would also recommend you to create a new thread in parallel with this one. This may increase the chances of getting more suggestions.

Based on my experiences, I would recommend you to keep Windows alongside Mint or any other Linux distro, unless you face some serious problems with Windows. However, this is a subjective recommendation based on my personal experience. You may also find some interesting arguments on this link (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/a ... ng-windows).

Generally speaking, I am quite happy with Mint. It is fast, light and stable. I have installed it on a four laptops over the past six months, and haven't faced serious problems so far, apart from the black screen issue, as well as a problem with NVIDIA drivers on one of the PCs. I have tried various Ubuntu based distros (including Ubuntu 13.10) and I must confess LM is the only one that meets my needs to a very large extent. Alternatively, try Ubuntu 13.10 on a live USB, and watch its behaviour. In my brand new laptop seems quite stable, though I find it hefty and quite ''curious'' for my taste.

twomby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by twomby » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Thanosfrag,

I'm extremely late, but I wanted to thank you for replying to me. I just found out that I wasn't subscribed to email notifications for replies on this board, and I never knew you responded. Sincere apologies for wasting your time!
I'm happy to inform you that I've been running Mint 17 for almost a year now, and haven't gone back to Windows at all (actually I broke the bootloader and never took the time to fix it, don't need it anymore!)
I don't know what caused my problem at the time, I'm guessing it was a faulty graphics driver. Haven't experienced it in the past 6 months, so all is good!

Thanks again, and... sorry ;)

Tommy

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thanosfrag » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 am

No problem Tommy!

Return to “Newbie Questions”