Mint tools

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tuxStyle
Level 1
Level 1

Mint tools

Post by tuxStyle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm

My laptop HP Pavilion tx2500 use x64 architecture so, i can't install Mint because of the high temperature of AMD processor.
I have to use acpi=off and this cause a kernel panic at boot time so, i will have to use Ubuntu x64.

Is there anyway to install the Mint tools on Ubuntu and, install packages from Mint after?

Thank you

Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint tools

Post by Tithis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:23 pm

If you add

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ elyssa main upstream import 
to your sources.list file in /etc/apt/ you'll have access to Linux Mints repository and should be able to install the Mint Tools through apt-get or Synaptic.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:29 pm

use x64 architecture so, i can't install Mint because of the high temperature of AMD processor.
??
I have two desktops (OK you have a laptop) with Athlon 3700+ and there is no temperature problem
Furthermore I really doubt that using a 32 bit operative on a 64 bit CPU causes high temperature (and I know a bit of hardware too)
It would be possible to install (some of) the Mint tools, but how well it would work I don't know - there are other differences ....
Tithis has described the method
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tithis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 am

I'd imagine there might be a problem using Mint Install. All .mint files do is contain the instructions on how to install the program, but they are for 32bit programs. I know to installing 32bit programs in 64bit Linux involves using some extra commands so you might not be able to install .mint files.

MintUpdate, MintMenu and MintDesktop would probably all work fine.

Return to “Newbie Questions”