Sound card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Sound card

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi all.
I have a sound card issue and need help!

ok from the top: I started out with Ubuntu 7:10. all was fine until upgrades came out and killed my sound. I moved over to Mint. I love it but the same thing happenned again. I think its my nvidia (onboard) sound card. So What I id was put another sound card in the slot. Now what happens is that sometimes when I boot up the pc runs the Nvidia card ( various sockets depending on how it feels) and other times the cheap soundcard is chosen. It a pain in the rear end having to haul out my pc to try all the holes to see which one the computer likes today.

I would like to set the machine to default to just one sound card and one bloomin socket on that card.

Is there a way to do this guys?

Yours in mintiness.

Anthony.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Sound card

Post by merlwiz79 »

Go into BIOS and disable the onboard sound card.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.
Which F key is it that opens BIOS? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

ant.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

That depends on your computer, any of the F's is used, sometimes Del, Ins etc etc. Try, or check if the first screen tells you what button to "launch setup"
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Post by anthony2010 »

Thanks for that! (it was [Del] )

Ive had a snoop around the bios and cannot see anything that refers to the sound cards.

Is there a way to set which soundcard is defaulted to within mint itself?or would it just be easier to remove the one in the pci slot and see if mint plays nice with the onboard one again?

ant.

Return to “Newbie Questions”