Requirements for Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
coolmanoh
Level 1
Level 1

Requirements for Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by coolmanoh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:16 pm

I recently purchased a copy of the Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon disk which I tried, without success, to install on my system. I requested help from this forum on this problem on 14 Jan 2014 and got several replies, one of which (wayne128) suggested my problem could be lack of a good graphics card. However, because of severe stability problems with my current system, I'm going to have a new computer built from all new components. Before I have this done, I need some guidance on the following issues:

1. The Red Hat Linux 8 book mentions a requirement for 2 partitions: one for the OS itself and a second small swap partition. Does the Linux Mint OS also require a swap partition, and if so, how big should it be?
2. Any recommendations for the type of processor?
3. What about the graphics card? Any one in particular? With or without acceleration?
4. Any other considerations I haven't thought about?

Thanks for your help,
D.C.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Requirements for Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by austin.texas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:26 pm

This site has very extensive info about linux compatible computers, cpu's, graphics cards, etc.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

The system I have, described below, has worked great.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 pm

The general rule on swap partitions is to have a swap partition equal to or a little bit more than the amount of ram that you have, for hibernation purposes.
If you have 8 GB of ram, make your swap partition a bit bigger than that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:08 pm

I would say that having a separate /home partition is a good idea.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

Return to “Newbie Questions”