Things to do after installing?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Things to do after installing?

Post by polarvortex » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm a MS windows power user, but I am fairly noobish at linux. (It's hard for me to find out this information from searching, because I don't know what I don't know, and I don't know the question to ask to search for.)

After installing Windows, there's a bunch of stuff you need to do, such as:
- install drivers for the motherboard from the manufacturer
- install peripheral drivers (video, mouse, etc)
- do windows updates a million times till you are up to date
- install a virus scanner and set all the settings in there
- change a bunch of windows settings to make it not terrible (show file extensions, etc)
- opt out of MS customer spying thing, disable/delete scheduled tasks you don't want
- check all your running processes and services and eliminate things like remote desktop or other pointless things
- other stuff

Then you get to a point where you can relax and know that you have set up windows to run properly, to be 'secure' and without any undesirable default settings. I want to get to that point for this new install of Mint I just did, but I don't know how.

I haven't done any of that kind of stuff for this new install of Mint (other than doing all the updates with the update manager), and I don't know what else needs to be done.

I'm assuming that some of that stuff simply doesn't need to be done in Mint. But I'm also assuming that there's a couple things that all paranoid computer nerds definitely do and I want to know what those things are so I can feel some confidence with this install. Right now I feel like I would after doing a windows install but before properly setting up and securing it. :|

And I realize you can customize and tweak linux all kinds of ways forever, but I'm just asking about basic things to do after you install. The kinds of things maybe casual users wouldn't care about, but concerned users would.

tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Things to do after installing?

Post by tadaensylvermane » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:14 pm

After installing Windows, there's a bunch of stuff you need to do, such as:
- change a bunch of windows settings to make it not terrible (show file extensions, etc)
- opt out of MS customer spying thing, disable/delete scheduled tasks you don't want
- check all your running processes and services and eliminate things like remote desktop or other pointless things
- other stuff
The bolds are the only thing you really need to worry about 9 times out of 10. Windows settings to make it not terrible is preference although by default file extensions are shown. ( Actually not sure you can turn that off ).
Only distro that I'm aware of that actively spys on you is Ubuntu but at least they tell you they are doing it, and it's easy to disable.
Other stuff... Like customizing wallpaper, themes... Gotta do that regardless of which OS style you use.

The rest is already done for you most of the time. Occasionally ( AMD GPU driver in particular ) do you need to manually install drivers for something. Broadcom wireless chipsets are notorious for bad linux support.

Yes it really is that easy.

Krzychu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Krzychu » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 pm

1. All options you have in control center (control panel or sth like that, using other language), set everything as you wish.

2. In caja (explorer), go to edit -> preferences. You might find some options useful (how to list folders, show hidden folders and files).

3. Add to bottom panel whatever you wish. Right click on it -> add to panel. I suggest adding: "workspace switcher"; "system monitor", "force process quit" (names might be little different, as I said, I'm not using Mint in English)

4. Install gufw and enable it, it's gui for iptables (firewall), enable it. It will from now start on every system startup. Default settings are okay.

5. Configure Firefox settings and install extensions (adblock!)

And you're pretty ready to go.

If you want more security stuff, then there are too many ways to secure your computer to write them here. Edit configuration files, install additional programs, add add-ons to Firefox (noscript for example)... Use Google for that, otherwise this post would be too big. Also some of that options may cause network problems and/or system problems. Nothing permanent, but you need to remember what where was changed so in case of any problems you disable your additional security for that time.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 pm

You might check settings in Users and Groups. If I remember right I had to change account type to admin. Also in Advanced Settings, User Privs tab there were a couple things not enabled with the default install. It can't hurt to check these.

EDIT: The Advanced Settings on Users and Groups is specific to LMDE. Sorry, didn't realize this until someone pointed it out.
Last edited by gtsfer on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:57 pm

How do I properly install gufw? Do I need to install ufw first?

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Use Menu -> Package Manager. Just type gufw in the search box, click on it and select the install option. ufw (uncomplicated firewall) should be installed by default, gufw is just a graphic front end to it. Package Manager is one main method of installing everything. There are command line options too, but PM is easy.
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm

There are varying suggestion on what to do after installing mint.

https://www.google.com/#q=linux+mint+after+installation

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:50 pm

My short list of post installation tweeks goes something like this (in no particular order) >>>
1) Update (use Update Manager)
2) Add desired users - I have 1 administrative user (created during the install), and 2 "regular" users - 1 for "work" and 1 for "play"
3) Copy backed up data from wherever into the home folder(s) (1 for each user - sorting data appropriately) of the new install
4) Copy Firefox profile and Thunderbird profile to the corresponding users home folders on the new install. If you are not bringing over a Thunderbird profile, you will have to set up e-mail accounts. You will likely have to do some tweeking of Firefox as well...
5) Install additional software you commonly use - use Synaptic whenever possible. For me the list includes, Google Earth, Citrix client (ICAClient), PDF shuffler, Gparted, System Information (Hardinfo), and whatever software I am interested in experimenting with this week... :lol:
6) Customize Cinnamon (desktop environment aka DE) - Download & install themes, applets, desklets, extensions as you like...
7) Customize desktop look & feel - enable mouse clicks with touchpad (laptop), enable "single click" to open items, select wallpaper for each user (customize wallpaper to your liking), customize task bar behavior (auto-hide, etc.)
8 ) Install printer(s) - try first with the System Settings GUI - Printers icon... if that doesn't work, try opening a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and type system-config-printer <enter>. If you have a choice, choose a HP printer to attach to you machine or your network - installation is usually a breeze... other printers can be very variable - from a little work to a lot of work to impossible... I've never had a problem installing a HP printer... :)

Welcome to the forum, best of luck... Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

- R -

P.S.: Most folks here are Windoze refugees of varying ages... You're not alone - don't be afraid to ask questions...
Last edited by Reorx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:52 pm

gtsfer wrote:Use Menu -> Package Manager. Just type gufw in the search box, click on it and select the install option. ufw (uncomplicated firewall) should be installed by default, gufw is just a graphic front end to it. Package Manager is one main method of installing everything. There are command line options too, but PM is easy.
I don't have Package Manager, I have Software Manager and I have Synaptic Package Manager (so I don't know which you are referring to). Which should I use? I was assuming I should use Software Manager?

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:56 pm

polarvortex wrote:
gtsfer wrote:Use Menu -> Package Manager. Just type gufw in the search box, click on it and select the install option. ufw (uncomplicated firewall) should be installed by default, gufw is just a graphic front end to it. Package Manager is one main method of installing everything. There are command line options too, but PM is easy.
I don't have Package Manager, I have Software Manager and I have Synaptic Package Manager (so I don't know which you are referring to). Which should I use? I was assuming I should use Software Manager?
Package Manager = Synaptic :)

In general Software Manager is useful to help you find something when you don't know the name of what you want (software manager = category search)... Synaptic is probably better if you DO KNOW the name of what you are looking for (synaptic = name search)... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Reorx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 pm

polarvortex wrote:I don't have Package Manager, I have Software Manager and I have Synaptic Package Manager (so I don't know which you are referring to). Which should I use? I was assuming I should use Software Manager?
Sorry, it's Synaptic Package Manager. I have LMDE and it's called "package manager" from the menu. :( I guess I'm having a bad day on here. :lol: Software Manager would work too I think if you had "searched" for it in there.

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm pretty sure Software Manager installed just gufw and it didn't bother to install ufw. So ... it doesn't work

Thanks for all the advice everyone

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Try open Synaptic and type ufw in the search bar... see what pops up with a green box to the left (see my post below) indicating it is already installed...
Last edited by Reorx on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:15 pm

What version are you running? I'm assuming something recent like Petra, (Mate or Cinnamon) or LMDE. What version of Mint doesn't include ufw, does anybody know? This sounds very unusual.

In any case you can install both from Synaptic Package Manager if you have to. Search for and check each one to install both, ufw and gufw. I'd be surprised if you didn't find out ufw is already installed.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm

ufw & gufw installed by default on LM13C64...
Attachments
ufw.png

Image Image

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 am

However Gufw is not installed on LMDE 64-bit Mate (LMDE 201403) since the new release. I was surprised but no big deal.
Last edited by gtsfer on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 am

gtsfer wrote:However Gufw is not installed on LMDE since the new release.
Just checked - same is true for LM16C32.

Image Image

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:26 am

Reorx wrote:Just checked - same is true for LM16C32.
Reorx, you looked that right up didn't you? Where is this info for each release, what packages are included. I saw this somewhere.

Never mind, found it with Google...

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 am

polarvortex wrote: After installing Windows, there's a bunch of stuff you need to do, such as:
- other stuff
After installing Linux Mint, you just have to... relax. Everything is perfect. Just take some pop-corn and watch a movie. :lol:
Or you can consider doing a donation to Linux Mint for all that saved time : http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 am

Setting up your backup procedure has not yet been mentioned. Of course, there are many ways to accomplish that. I can only relate what I do.

For backup of personal files I install the program, grsync, and configure that to backup my personal files to an external hard drive. Once it is configured it is only a couple of clicks when I run it (once a week).
Install grsync: in a terminal enter the command -
sudo apt-get install grsync

For backup of the OS, I created a 20 GB space on my external drive (since my root partition is less than 20 GB). I just use the gparted program to copy my entire / partition to that unallocated space once or twice a month, and give it a new UUID in the process. So if anything fatal happens to my Mint OS, I can just delete the / partition and restore my backup, and restore the original UUID.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”