Mint 13 SSD Support? Mate xfce make a difference?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 13 SSD Support? Mate xfce make a difference?

Post by HilltopsGM »

I am trying to set up a computer with a new SSD (Samsung 840 EVO Series Solid State Drive, SATA III, 2.5in, 120GB).
It has TRIM support.

I am following this thread:
MINT15 SSD TRIM support ===> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=140635

Does Mint 13 LTS have the same capability?

. . . and, Should we be setting up a SWAP partition on this drive?

I was looking as Mate, or xfce.
The system has 8GB of RAM

Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 13 SSD Support? Mate xfce make a difference?

Post by passerby »

HilltopsGM wrote: I am following this thread:
MINT15 SSD TRIM support ===> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=140635

Does Mint 13 LTS have the same capability?
Yes.
HilltopsGM wrote:Should we be setting up a SWAP partition on this drive?
Given that you have 8GB of RAM, I'd only say yes if you often use close to all of that RAM, or you want to be able to hibernate.
If you're using the SSD alongside a conventional HDD, then SWAP should ideally go on the HDD to reduce writes to the SSD.
HilltopsGM wrote: I was looking as Mate, or xfce.
The system has 8GB of RAM

Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks
MATE vs XFCE makes no difference in regards to SSD/SWAP stuff, and they both have low resource usage.
Following that thread, it only makes a difference in regards to the default text editor available.
Use whichever you prefer.

If your OS is being installed on the SSD, I'd recommend moving /tmp to RAM.
Given the amount of RAM you have, you might also consider lowering your system's swappiness (lower swappiness = less likely to write RAM to swap space), or even remove it altogether if you don't need to hibernate.
As for the method of TRIM (since there are three in that thread/article), IMO it's best to go with the daily cron task. The fstab discard method isn't recommended, though I don't remember why.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

hello.

Even if new SSD are robust now you should avoid " Hibenate" . This process write a lot on your disk/
I was thinking than hibernate process should be not available when SSD is mounted.

Well I understand Passerby who doesnot clearly tell you to avoid this partition but with 8 meg of ram your are safe.
Of course if you are an average user.

As concerning me I sat my swappiness to 0
if you do not know what swappiness is here details : http://ubuntuguide.net/optimize-the-usa ... for-ubuntu

Also There is a feature to shrink , to zip your ram instead of physically swapping.
Right now I do no remember the exact name , someone will tell us...

As concerning me I would size this partition near 0
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

Don_Pedro wrote: Also There is a feature to shrink , to zip your ram instead of physically swapping.
zRam. It should be available in the repos nowadays via the zram-config package.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

passerby & Don_Pedro - Thanks for the info.

I am NOT going to be using Hibernation at all.
Is there a way to "Disable" it on the system so it can't be used?

8GB or RAM should be plenty. So I am going to Set Swappiness to '0' as per:
Don_Pedro wrote: As concerning me I sat my swappiness to 0
if you do not know what swappiness is here details : http://ubuntuguide.net/optimize-the-usa ... for-ubuntu
With 8GB of RAM, would zRam really even be necessary? How much would it save and how much of a performance hit are we looking at?

I am tempted to use a "Swap File" instead of an actual "Swap Partition" as a "Just in case". If swappiness is set to '0' then it should never be needed and the machine will be shut down Daily. SSD's boot so fast, why would I want to Hibernate anyway.

I REALLY think that this is a brilliant idea :
passerby wrote: If your OS is being installed on the SSD, I'd recommend moving /tmp to RAM.
Given the amount of RAM you have, you might also consider lowering your system's swappiness (lower swappiness = less likely to write RAM to swap space), or even remove it altogether if you don't need to hibernate.
I found this link on how to do that: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=135875

Just to recap it:
Clear out the current /tmp directory:

Code: Select all

sudo umount /tmp
sudo rm -rf /tmp/*
sudo mount -a
Edit /etc/fstab like so:

Code: Select all

none /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0
for simplicity I was going to avoid the use of "noexec"

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again for the assistance.
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

passerby wrote:
Don_Pedro wrote: Also There is a feature to shrink , to zip your ram instead of physically swapping.
zRam. It should be available in the repos nowadays via the zram-config package.
Has zRam matured?

I was reading this article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma ... Swappiness and it suggested that maybe it wasn't quite stable yet.

Comments?

Thanks
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Look why don't you go step by step ?
Keep the swap partition = half your memory. 8/2=4.

First set your swappiness to 0.

and use your system normally, if stable after a week.
Don't move.
Anyway mid May Linuxmint 17 will be relased. It will manage directly your SSD. No need to install yourself the TRIM process.

At this time , making a fresh install , set your swap to 0.
If not stable you know why, yu can correctly yourself.

Early May , before installing LM17 run for 2 weeks ZRAM.

That way you will know exactly which is the most convenient for you

Cordially
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

Hi Don_Pedro,

Thanks for that.
I'd like to set up the LTS version if at all possible (not sure when the next one is due out, or even if IT will Manage the TRIM process directly).

I am trying to set it up for some folks that don't know much about Linux (read = nothing).

They check email, browse a little, and use Google Drives Spreadsheets.

That's pretty much it.

I'd like to drop the machine off in about a week for them to use so I am hoping to get it all figured out before then - hence the multiple questions.

You help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
I'll probably set it up with the swap . . . if the RAM never fills up, then it should never be accessed and save wearing that area of the drive (swap partition) unnecessarily.

I have been running the system all day and It has not broken 1GB yet, so I am fairly confident that 8GB should be safe (even if I didn't use a Swap Partition) - but I'll keep playing.

Again thanks for the help.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello again,

I did not know , of course play it safe if for someone else and if you have no control on the hardware.

Just 2 things :
1)For your information the coming LinuxMint 17 will be a LTS (released the 2 last week of May). For sure Trim will be manage automatically.
2)As the hardware will be in novice hand I would suggest to avoid the classic update manager and install Cron-APT in order to update silently in the background.

Cordially
P.
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

Don_Pedro wrote:Hello again,
Just 2 things :
1)For your information the coming LinuxMint 17 will be a LTS (released the 2 last week of May). For sure Trim will be manage automatically.
2)As the hardware will be in novice hand I would suggest to avoid the classic update manager and install Cron-APT in order to update silently in the background.

Cordially
Thanks again for that Don_Pedro.

I was looking for where it said that 17 would have automatic trim management, but couldn't find it.
Is there a place where they say what each new release is going to have in it?

Cheers.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

where it said that 17 would have automatic trim management, but couldn't find it.
Very easy, look at the post right above your last post I wrote in part 1) :

I hope this will help. Have a good day. :)
P.
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

@Don_Pedro

I did see your post that mentioned TRIM . . . I was just wondering if there was an official thread by the community that stated that TRIM would be managed automatically.

Basically, I was wondering how/where you found out about it.

Thanks
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

all details here :

Ubuntu 14.04 默认支持 SSD TRIM 功能
Ubuntu 14.04 默认支持 SSD TRIM 功能 Ubuntu 用户对明年四月的要发布的 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 有一些额外的期待,就 是希望默认支持 SSD TRIM 功能。现在终于得...
现在终于得偿所愿, Ubuntu 14.04 现已支持 SSD TRIM 功能。 Ubuntu 开发者还想在 Ubuntu Touch images 也添加这么一个功能, 那么 SSDs 就 可以了解哪些数据块...
P.
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

Don_Pedro wrote:all details here :

Ubuntu 14.04 默认支持 SSD TRIM 功能 Ubuntu 用户对明年四月的要发布的 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 有一些额外的期待,就 是希望默认支持 SSD TRIM 功能。现在终于得...
现在终于得偿所愿, Ubuntu 14.04 现已支持 SSD TRIM 功能。 Ubuntu 开发者还想在 Ubuntu Touch images 也添加这么一个功能, 那么 SSDs 就 可以了解哪些数据块...
whoa . . . sorry I asked! :lol:

Return to “Newbie Questions”