What the hell is this?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Baandit
Level 1
Level 1

What the hell is this?

Post by Baandit »

I have had Linux Mint for around 2-3 months and I think this has been here since the begining : ( The file right next to my cursor, all the gibberish )
http://postimg.org/image/lvux8gezx/
I was going to delete it on day one but I went to check how big the file size is and it's 83gb so I thought it must be important and left it alone. These past weeks though it's been bothering me and I started to wonder maybe it's something malicious.
Does anyone know what this is? Thanks for any help :)
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What the hell is this?

Post by gtsfer »

Do you have Bleachbit installed by any chance? I saw something like that once when I selected too many options and ran it. I have since uninstalled that thing as I heard it's unsafe and could be dangerous.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
Baandit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baandit »

gtsfer wrote:Do you have Bleachbit installed by any chance? I saw something like that once when I selected too many options and ran it. I have since uninstalled that thing as I heard it's unsafe and could be dangerous.
Yeah I have BB Installed. Should I uninstall bleachbit?
,_,
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

Baandit wrote:
gtsfer wrote:Yeah I have BB Installed. Should I uninstall bleachbit?
I'm not sure what to tell you on this. I saw a on these forums once a person that had over 6,000 posts said "I've said it before, I'll say it again, Bleachbit is dangerous and will mess up your system". Based entirely on that I got rid of it.

If I remember when I had it installed, once I selected a lot of items, all that stuff that generates the pop ups saying it's gonna take a long time. On that run, I saw a file like yours. This was a surprise too. :shock: :shock: :shock: I don't remember telling it to do any such thing. I just deleted the file np and ran it without all those extra options. A day later I got rid of Bleachbit.
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Baandit,

Can you open the terminal and do an

Code: Select all

ls -lh
in that directory to get e better idea of the files. You really can't tell much from from a file manager screen shot of just names.
ImageImage
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

WharfRat wrote:in that directory to get e better idea of the files. You really can't tell much from from a file manager screen shot of just names.
Wharfrat is perfectly right. The file properties may show you what app created this.

My recollection and post on this is just from memory. It looked exactly like this with a huge file name and the file that Bleachbit created was in the 80 gigabyte range when i caught it.
Last edited by gtsfer on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baandit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baandit »

WharfRat wrote:Baandit,

Can you open the terminal and do an

ls -lh
in that directory to get e better idea of the files. You really can't tell much from from a file manager screen shot of just names.
Here we go : http://postimg.org/image/ccv10a4zl/
I forget what -rw means :\

Thanks for all your guys help so far.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Never saw anything like it, but it looks like some kind of useless garbage file.

In the terminal enter

rm  tmpjn
then press the tab key so auto completion kicks in and fills the rest to delete it.
ImageImage
Baandit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baandit »

WharfRat wrote:Never saw anything like it, but it looks like some kind of useless garbage file.

In the terminal enter

rm  tmpjn
then press the tab key so auto completion kicks in and fills the rest to delete it.
If my pc suddenly bursts into flames, Im blaming you.. Just saying :P lol

edit: Well I removed it and everything is fine and now I got more free space! lol.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Baandit wrote: If my pc suddenly bursts into flames, Im blaming you.. Just saying :P lol

edit: Well I removed it and everything is fine and now I got more free space! lol.
There could be a delayed trigger :shock:
ImageImage
Timberbeast
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Timberbeast »

Hey WR,

You'll scare him to death. :mrgreen:
larry
LM 17.1 Mate. There's no windows in this box. Not any more :D
ahz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ahz »

Baandit wrote:I have had Linux Mint for around 2-3 months and I think this has been here since the begining : ( The file right next to my cursor, all the gibberish )
http://postimg.org/image/lvux8gezx/
I was going to delete it on day one but I went to check how big the file size is and it's 83gb so I thought it must be important and left it alone. These past weeks though it's been bothering me and I started to wonder maybe it's something malicious.
Does anyone know what this is? Thanks for any help :)
It looks you aborted the "wipe free disk space" option. This file is safe you delete, as you noticed. Especially if you do not know what it is, you may want to avoid this option---not because it's "dangerous," but because it's very slow.

The next release (BleachBit 1.1) will avoid leaving this after the user aborts this process.
ahz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ahz »

gtsfer wrote: I'm not sure what to tell you on this. I saw a on these forums once a person that had over 6,000 posts said "I've said it before, I'll say it again, Bleachbit is dangerous and will mess up your system". Based entirely on that I got rid of it.
If there is a specific bug, please report to the project. Otherwise, this sounds like a bad rumour.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

ahz wrote:
gtsfer wrote: If there is a specific bug, please report to the project. Otherwise, this sounds like a bad rumour.
The 80 gigabyte garbage file is hardly a "rumor". I removed this package on advice I saw in a post concerning Bleachbit from a moderator. If someone still running it wants to thoroughly test this and post a bug by turning on that/those items in Bleachbit (that generate the warning messages) to see which ones cause this massive file to be appear that would be a great idea. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”