Migration from Windows XP - issues arising

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AndrewXP
Level 1
Level 1

Migration from Windows XP - issues arising

Post by AndrewXP »

Hi.

Following the helpful advice I received (see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p836939), I have now successfully replaced Windows XP with Mint 16 Xfce 32-bit on my aged DELL Dimension 4550. (I didn't manage to create a dual-boot system as I didn't realise it was necessary to create a separate partition first - the User Guide doesn't mention this!) I am reasonably satisfied with the result, but have a few issues:

- My Lexmark X5470 is unusable because sadly Lexmark provide no Linux drivers for it. Must I get a new printer - perhaps HP?
- There are some screen rendering problems: icons often don't appear until I hover over them - and then they may disappear again; pop-up windows in Firefox and tab titles in Thunderbird can have faint text/graphics, again, until I hover over them. Fonts are often less sharp than they were in Windows with ClearType enabled.
- Is there an equivalent to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task list if the computer freezes, so as to force an application to end?
- When I hover over the Update icon, it says "Another application is using APT". What does this mean?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew.
Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit
pienkvien
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Migration from Windows XP - issues arising

Post by pienkvien »

I tried a Lexmark X2650 in linux but didn't work... Older Brother printers have to be installed with a driver from their website. Just look if there's support for linux when you buy it in a shop or check the internet before you decide on a printer.
Don't know about your screen problems.
APT (apt-get) is the program to install software or updates. You'll see the shield (next to the clock) probably with gears instead of a green V.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

AndrewXP wrote:- There are some screen rendering problems: icons often don't appear until I hover over them - and then they may disappear again; pop-up windows in Firefox and tab titles in Thunderbird can have faint text/graphics, again, until I hover over them. Fonts are often less sharp than they were in Windows with ClearType enabled.
Have you installed the proprietary Nvidia driver yet? If not, go to Menu -> System -> Driver Manager and do so. That may clear-up problem.
AndrewXP wrote:- When I hover over the Update icon, it says "Another application is using APT". What does this mean?
If you had Synaptic Package Manager or Software Center open at the time, that could be why. Only one can be using the repos at a time. Not sure, but it also could just have meant that the Update Manager itself was in the middle of checking for updates at that particular moment. It is set by default to check every 15 minutes. (In my view, that's a bit excessive, so I changed it to only check once a day. To change, open Update Manager -> Edit -> Preferences -> Auto-Refresh(tab) -> change to what you want.)
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
AndrewXP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndrewXP »

gold_finger wrote:
AndrewXP wrote:- There are some screen rendering problems: icons often don't appear until I hover over them - and then they may disappear again; pop-up windows in Firefox and tab titles in Thunderbird can have faint text/graphics, again, until I hover over them. Fonts are often less sharp than they were in Windows with ClearType enabled.
Have you installed the proprietary Nvidia driver yet? If not, go to Menu -> System -> Driver Manager and do so. That may clear-up problem.
Thanks for the help. Driver Manager just says "No proprietary drivers are in use" - there's nothing else in the window!
Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit
AndrewXP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndrewXP »

AndrewXP wrote: - Is there an equivalent to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task list if the computer freezes, so as to force an application to end?
Andrew.
Thanks for the help so far, folks, but can anyone answer the above?

Cheers,
Andrew.
Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

AndrewXP wrote:Thanks for the help. Driver Manager just says "No proprietary drivers are in use" - there's nothing else in the window!
Did you give the window some time to check? It usually takes 15-30 seconds or so before for it to complete its check and display available choices. I went to look at specs for your machine from the link you provided to your old post and in there you said you have Nvidia graphics. Is that correct? Run this in a terminal to confirm:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
If you have Nvidia, a proprietary driver should show up as being available for installation.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

AndrewXP wrote:
AndrewXP wrote: - Is there an equivalent to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task list if the computer freezes, so as to force an application to end?
Andrew.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I usually use htop, by typing htop on terminal
or click the icon on the panel

If htop is not installed, you can use top,
or just install it with sudo apt-get install htop

Here is an example how it looks.
http://i62.tinypic.com/2j68qch.jpg

You can see on left column 'PID', or process id.
Take note PID for iceweasel ( firefox in Debian) is 3700.
and it has been highlighted.

You can simply open another terminal and type
kill 3700 follow by hitting enter key to stop it running.

or if you do not like to type in terminal, then use the function key.

you can see at the bottom of the terminal ( above attached image),
there is a list of commands for the function key:
F1 : Help
F2 : setup
F9 : Kill

to kill a process, move cursor to highlight that process,
then hit F9, it will popup another window that looks like this
http://i57.tinypic.com/2i11emc.png
( it has default to 15 sigterm)
just hit enter key to kill the process.
marvinudy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marvinudy »

AndrewXP,

I have found that running the command 'ps aux' in a terminal will give you a list or everything running, active and sleeping(inactive). Each entry is listed by PID. To stop(kill) a process/sytem that is running or sleeping(inactive), in the same terminal, use the 'kill' command followed by the PID number of the process you want to stop. Sometimes a running process will have several elements with different PID numbers. Apply the 'kill' command to all of the same prcess/system you want to stop.

Best regards,

marvinudy
AndrewXP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndrewXP »

gold_finger wrote:
AndrewXP wrote:Thanks for the help. Driver Manager just says "No proprietary drivers are in use" - there's nothing else in the window!
Did you give the window some time to check? It usually takes 15-30 seconds or so before for it to complete its check and display available choices. I went to look at specs for your machine from the link you provided to your old post and in there you said you have Nvidia graphics. Is that correct? Run this in a terminal to confirm:

inxi -G
If you have Nvidia, a proprietary driver should show up as being available for installation.
Thanks. I've waited over 10 minutes and still nothing shows up in Driver Manager. The output from "inxi -G" is:

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420]
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1280x1024@75.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI nv17 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.2 Mesa 9.2.1

I've also been to the NVIDIA website, which doesn't list my particular adapter, probably because it's so old (>11 years!).
Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit
AndrewXP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndrewXP »

wayne128 wrote:
AndrewXP wrote:
Andrew.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I usually use htop, by typing htop on terminal
or click the icon on the panel

[...]

to kill a process, move cursor to highlight that process,
then hit F9, it will popup another window that looks like this
http://i57.tinypic.com/2i11emc.png
( it has default to 15 sigterm)
just hit enter key to kill the process.
Thanks! My only concern is for situations where there is no response either to the keyboard or to mouse clicks. With Windows, Ctrl-Alt-Del might work when all other input fails, so it was this kind of interrupt facility which I was looking for. However, I'll try the process killing routine, if it lets me, next time I get a freeze (which was happening quite frequently following Mint installation until I installed all the updates).
Mint 13 Xfce 32-bit
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

AndrewXP wrote:
Andrew.

Cheers,
Andrew.
I have MATE but something similar may be there for you in XFCE.

In MATE I can open keyboard shortcuts and choose to ADD a new one. I give it a name like Processes, put in the command

mate-system-monitor
then assign it a key combo like CTRL-ALT-Z

anytime I hit that combo of keys, the processes box opens up where I can choose ones I want to force kill.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
xerion567
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xerion567 »

Here's a couple of tricks for dealing with display freezes:

Ctrl-Alt-FunctionKey(F1, F2, ..., F10): This switches the display between "virtual terminals". Every Linux I've ever seen has this feature, and unless the kernel itself is completely halted these terminals come up pretty reliably. The terminals are text-only, and you will need to log in by typing your username and password. Once logged in you can then use command-line tools to try and correct the problem. Here's a few commands again just for reference:

Display everything that is running:

ps aux
Display lots of programs that are running, less verbose:

ps -A
Search for specific programs that are running:

ps -A | grep <name of program>
Display lots of programs that are running, one page at a time:

ps -A | more
Stop a program from running: (pid is the number listed by the ps commands above)

kill <pid of program>
Stop a program from running, and I really mean it this time :evil:

sudo kill <pid of program>
When you're done in the virtual terminal you can issue the logout command to return it to it's previous state (if you want), then switch back to the terminal that is hosting the GUI. Usually this is ctrl-alt-F7 or ctrl-alt-F8, but it could be any one of them, depending on what flavor Linux you have. ( For Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon it is 8 )

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace: This kills Xorg (the display server) and all the programs that were using it. The commonly used disclaimer "Warning: You will lose all your unsaved data" applies here. On my LM16 Cinnamon install the system starts up Xorg again automatically and puts you back at the login window, and then Ctrl-Alt-Backspace no longer functions.
All work and no play makes Linux a dull OS,
All work and no play makes Linux a dull OS,
All work and no play makes Linux...http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=164690
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Also, if you do a Logout and then Login, it will reset, which gets rid of those troublesome programs running in process that may not release RAM and stop when told to, and for which it seems even the kill command doesn't always work, but all without changing your up time. I run low power system (AMD Sempron 145 w/Antec 80% PSU) so leave mine on all the time, which can run weeks sometimes before a reboot. You can see how long your system has been running with this command.

inxi
or more brief

inxi -I
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”