USB Analog TV-Tuner Help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GokyMint
Level 1
Level 1

USB Analog TV-Tuner Help

Post by GokyMint »

Hi, I have Usb TV tuner and cant get it to work,I've searched and searched and nothing,maybe some guru here can help.
The chip is em28xx series,dmesg em28xx showed:
[ 11.226515] em28xx: New device USB 2820 Video @ 480 Mbps (eb1a:2820, interface 0, class 0)
[ 11.226517] em28xx: Video interface 0 found: bulk isoc
[ 11.226670] em28xx: chip ID is em2820
[ 11.982172] usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx

and lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID eb1a:2820 eMPIA Technology, Inc.

Every program (VLC,TVtime etc) gives error no source or error opening dev/video0.
This is log from VLC:
[0x7f3c640010c8] v4l2 demux error: cannot set input 0: Invalid argument
[0x7f3c640010c8] v4l2 demux error: cannot set input 0: Invalid argument
[0x7f3c640020d8] v4l2 access error: cannot set input 0: Invalid argument
[0x7f3c640020d8] v4l2 access error: cannot set input 0: Invalid argument
[0x7f3c7c000b78] main input error: open of `v4l2:///dev/video0' failedBus 001 Device 004: ID eb1a:2820 eMPIA Technology, Inc

Tvtime doesn see any source to select.Can anyone help?
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: USB Analog TV-Tuner Help

Post by DrHu »

Run through this post, may help narrow the issue..
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu ... tuner.html
GokyMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GokyMint »

Thank you very much! Its working! Now I need to figure out how to add sound in TvTime,
GokyMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GokyMint »

Good news,everything is working.First I've got picture with your help,then there was no sound,after a while I got the sound but there was only channel noise...now the latest "problem" the channel audio appeared but I don't know what I did.Every guide-tutorial I've read and entered xy commands nothing worked,then computer freezed when opening TvTime and I've restarted the computer and Boom channel audio was there.I've removed everything I've entered in terminal and conf files I've created trying to trace what started it but with everything removed audio is still there.
I did nothing fancy :

sudo rmmod em28xx
sudo modprobe em28xx card=26 (my card,and I need to do this every time computer boots)

The conf files I've created are deleted.This are the same commands when I've got the picture.Dmesg is the same as the first time I've got the picture (I've analyzed them often to see are there any changes)
I've got sound with alsamixer unmuting LineIn but then I could only hear channel noise (no music no talking no nothing just white noise).
I've edited alsa-base config but I reconfigured it to default settings again.And I've created em28xx.conf which I've deleted also.
Now I'm loosing my mind how did audio appeared
GokyMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GokyMint »

I've found it! Last thing I've edited is tvtime.xml config,in mixer line there was typing error :

option name="MixerDevice" value="hw:0/line

line was lowercase and I've edited to uppercase and it worked!

Return to “Newbie Questions”