configuring VNC for cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gloken
Level 1
Level 1

configuring VNC for cinnamon

Postby gloken » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10 pm

This is probably best suited to the 'networking' forum, but I'm not allowed to post there. Apologies if I'm doing this wrong.

Here's my problem.

I have two computers inside a local network. One is a Windows box, one is Linux Mint. I've created an SSH tunnel between them, and hosted a VNC server on the Mint box. The idea is to use a VNC client on the Windows box to connect to Mint. So far everything works, the tunnel is open, and VNC can connect and open the command line. I can't open a display manager though.

How do I configure the VNC config file to properly load up the Cinnamon display manager on my Mint VNC server? I've mucked around in the xstartup file but nothing has helped.

Any help would be much appreciated.

limayankee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: configuring VNC for cinnamon

Postby limayankee » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 am

I am also trying to run Cinnamon on a virtual VNC desktop i.e. display :1, but having the following problems:

• Cinnamon crashes and reverts to fallback mode
  • Terminal isn't in the programs menu - have to use the file explorer to browse to /usr/bin/gnome-terminal
  • Keyboard mapping is mucked up - it seems to think the "windows" key is permanently pressed - whenever I type 'd', it shows/hides all windows. This is a known problem - adding "export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1" to my xstartup file is supposed to fix it, but it doesn't work for me.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround, or should I give up and just use a different DE for my VNC virtual desktops?

What I did:

I uncommented the two lines in ~/.vnc/xstartup that should give me a normal desktop:

Code: Select all

wes@mario ~ $ cat ~/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
x-window-manager &

Started a new VNC desktop:

Code: Select all

wes@mario ~ $ vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16

New 'mario:1 (wes)' desktop is mario:1

Starting applications specified in /home/wes/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/wes/.vnc/mario:1.log

When I open the desktop from a VNC client I see an error message:
"Do you want to restart Cinnamon? Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode."

See attached screenshot
Attachments
screenshot.tiff
screenshot.tiff (55.51 KiB) Viewed 13280 times

Ka2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ka2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi,

I'm newbie to Linux, migrating from M$. So my knowledge of Linux is very limited. Have been messing around with it for about a month now, couple hours a night..

I have been trying to do the same thing. Have tried differnt vnc servers and viewers. Messed around with the xstartup file.

But I seem to end up with a window with a black or grey background, with or without a terminal window that I can't write anything in. At one point I ended up with window with black background and three icons (same icons as on the "normal" desktop). But that was a one time deal. Next connection it was gone. I guess it can be a result of changing vnc software and I ended up with some mixed configuration...

Hope so experts come along and explains how this works or what is has to be done to get it to work.

Brgrds,
Ka2

Ka2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ka2 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Here is a config that sort of worked:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
/etc/X11/Xsession &
exec cinnamon-session &

Cinnamon goes into fallback, but it is the best result so far... But if I do not restart cinnamon I get a menu in the top left corner. For some reason the letters s and d operate the menu...?

I wonder a bit about this line : " [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources " - Because the file .Xresourses does not exist in my home dir, I can't find it anywhere else either.. -So is there something I have missed...??

Brgrds,
Ka2

Ka2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ka2 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Anybody figured out this ??

Brgrds,
Ka2

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby usbtux » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:07 pm

there is a problem with vnc in ubuntu 14.04/mint17

There is a fix - you need to edit the remote desktop config file. I had to do it for myxfce install (sorry I cant find my notes at the moment) you can google the info.

EDIT
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/24

*the structure is not the same but search for remote-access
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

Ka2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ka2 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:46 am

Hi usbtux,

Thanks for your reply! Have been looking at the information you provided. I might be wrong, but it seems like the link you posted has to do with the vino program. Ie when a vnc viewer is used to connect to vino for viewing the normal desktop remotely. I tested out the fixes, but I could not see any inprovment when in the problem at hand.

I will try to clearify the (my) problem. I use vnc4server and connect to it with ssvnc. The desktop that is presented to the remote pc has the described problems.

When using vinagre to connect to vino, showing the original/active desktop on the remote pc things work ok. -But that is not the solution I am looking to get working. Tried to connect to the desktop (:1) presented by vnc4server via vinagre, but that did not work any better..

I might be mixing up desktop and consoles here, but I am a newbie to Linux....

Is it any thing I have misunderstood here ??

Brgrds,
Ka2

maharvey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby maharvey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:48 pm

I am having this problem on 17.1, running tightvnc server and tightvnc viewer (viewer on windows). I was running x11vnc server and not having this issue, but that wants to share my desktop and I wanted a VNC that hosts a separate desktop (someone else is using the console).

Symptoms:
1. start vncserver
2. client says cinnamon crashed. if I click the restart button it just keeps crashing.
3. most keys work correctly, but the 's' key maps to the Applications menu, the up arrow maximizes the window, and the down arrow un-maximizes it.

I tried the info in the link posted by usbtux (disable encryption) but it did not help.

mathieums
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mathieums » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Hello,

I currently have the same problem, I can't use cinnamon environment with vnc4server.

I used this tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1188

Anyway, for my use, I'm ok with the MATE desktop and it's works fine following the tutorial.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how I can make vncserver start at boot before login in??? If I start the computer via WOL, I want to remotely login via vnc.

Thank you!
Mat

cineknt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cineknt » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am

[SOLUTION]

I would like to say that I tested many VNC servers with Cinnamon and it crashes into fallback mode every time. But finally I was able to run it with TigerVNC Server.

Verified configuration:
- Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
- TigerVNC 1.8.0 (stable release)

Here is a quick instruction how to do that:
- go to http://tigervnc.org/ and click "GitHub release page"
- pick the latest release and click on "Binaries are available from bintray"
- Ubuntu deb packages are a bit hidden. Click "Files" tab and then "ubuntu-16.04LTS" -> "amd64" -> "tigervncserver_1.8.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb"
- install deb package
- run in terminal (without sudo): tigervncserver
- it's ready! No additional changes are needed in "~/.vnc/xstartup". But if you would like to change e.g. resolution, then edit "~/.vnc/config"

damonh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby damonh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Thank you cineknt!!
Damon H. {uy}

Rabinovitch
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rabinovitch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 pm

cineknt wrote:[SOLUTION]

I would like to say that I tested many VNC servers with Cinnamon and it crashes into fallback mode every time. But finally I was able to run it with TigerVNC Server.

Verified configuration:
- Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
- TigerVNC 1.8.0 (stable release)

Looks that doesn't work in Mint 18.2 Cinnamon. Everything looks fine during RDP connection setup (from Win7), but right after appearing Cinnamon desktop the RDP window is just closing. :cry: I like Linux.

Return to “Newbie Questions”