Wiping another hardrive from within linux mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
digimonmikujapan
Level 1
Level 1

Wiping another hardrive from within linux mint

Post by digimonmikujapan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:49 pm

I have 2 drives in my desktop. One is the one I want to use (300GB drive with linux mint on it) and the other is a 500GB drive with god know what on it (I got it at a yard sale). Linux mint currently recognizes the other as you can see bellow in my file manager:
Screenshot04202014.10.34.05PM.png
I want to wipe the other drive so I can use it as you would a external harddrive connected via usb (just drag files onto it that I need). Is there anyway to do this from linux mint (without having to mess around with grub/bios because I don't want to boot into it, I just want it to appear as external storage would, where I can drag files in/out of it.

I am new to this, so thank you for your patience. I hope I have provided enough information.

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wiping another hardrive from within linux mint

Post by wilbobob » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:39 am

Have you tried formatting using Gparted ? You may need to download Gparted first. It's on the live disc but often not on the installed system
Go Steady, but keep going

nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 am

Unmount the drive and use Gparted or the Disks utility which is installed by default in linux mint.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:36 am

"God-knows-what" is another Linux installation!... Just for fun, open the /home folder on that disk. You should see the names of the user IDs on that installation. Make sure nothing looks familiar!

What I would do is take the disk out of the computer and put it into the external HD enclosure that you have for it. Then plug the ext HD into a USB port... I would then use either Gparted or Disk Utility to have a look at the disk. Once you decide that you want to wipe it, simply remove all of the partitions on the disk. If there is a swap partition on the disk, the swap partition must be "off" before you can delete it...

Once you have the disk "empty", you can create 1 partition that will be the whole disk and format it using any file system you like. I like FAT for its ease of use and universal readablilty.

Good Luck!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”