Update Manager icon has disappeared from the panel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foole

Update Manager icon has disappeared from the panel

Post by foole »

Any way to get it back? I rebooted but that didn't help. Linux Mint 16, Cinnamon desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Update Manager icon has disappeared from the panel

Post by xenopeek »

Look up, notice the forums rules? Please follow that link and read it. You haven't given any details for anybody to help you, like which version of Linux Mint you are using and what desktop environment. Kindly add that.
foole

Post by foole »

Nobody else has had this happen to them?

I deleted nothing and all my other icons are in place.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Open System Settings > Startup Programs
Enable the mintUpdate program
If it is not listed, create it by clicking on the Add button.
StartupScreenshot.png
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
foole

Post by foole »

It was already enabled, but it has a lock on it. I never edited anything here before.
Screenshot.png
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

One more thing to try.
In your Main Menu > Administration > right-click on Update Manager > Add To Panel
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
foole

Post by foole »

austin.texas wrote:One more thing to try.
In your Main Menu > Administration > right-click on Update Manager > Add To Panel

This added the icon to the panel, but not in the original default location near the clock. Also it doesn't function with the green check mark to show all updates are OK. It won't even respond when I click on it to open the Update manager Window. It just sits there and never changes its appearance even if new updates are available.

I had been using the Void theme before and it was flawless until recently.
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/104

Restarting Cinnamon doesn't help, nor does rebooting Mint.

Did Cinnamon get updated recently? Or some other update which could have broken this?

I just did a Restore All Settings to Default. That did the trick, but now I have to rebuild all my panels.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

foole wrote: I had been using the Void theme before and it was flawless until recently.
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/104
Restarting Cinnamon doesn't help, nor does rebooting Mint.
Did Cinnamon get updated recently? Or some other update which could have broken this?
I just did a Restore All Settings to Default. That did the trick, but now I have to rebuild all my panels.
That is a very good observation. Void is rather dated - made for Cinnamon 1.6
I haven't noticed any updates to Cinnamon lately, when I have updated.
Linux Linx 2018
kherring7383

Post by kherring7383 »

I too had a similar issue with MInt 17rc, only in my case its was both Update Manager and Synapse. After reading these posts I resolved it by restoring the default settings, I'm using Fedora Glass Theme which is great in Mint 16 but since it was for an earlier version of Cinnamon it is a bit unstable.

After restoring the defaults and installing my Applets all seems well including the Fedora Glass Theme. For those who don't know how to restore the defaults, simply right-click on the panel and open the Troubleshooting section and choose "Restore all settings to default".
Earl-Grey

Post by Earl-Grey »

kherring7383 wrote:I too had a similar issue with MInt 17rc, only in my case its was both Update Manager and Synapse. After reading these posts I resolved it by restoring the default settings, I'm using Fedora Glass Theme which is great in Mint 16 but since it was for an earlier version of Cinnamon it is a bit unstable.

After restoring the defaults and installing my Applets all seems well including the Fedora Glass Theme. For those who don't know how to restore the defaults, simply right-click on the panel and open the Troubleshooting section and choose "Restore all settings to default".
Hi there, I might have a similar problem. I changed the icons for the Update Manager and now it doesn't show anything on the panel, but there is a blank space for where the icon should be.

How did you restore default settings?
josueb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josueb »

Earl-Grey wrote:
Hi there, I might have a similar problem. I changed the icons for the Update Manager and now it doesn't show anything on the panel, but there is a blank space for where the icon should be.

How did you restore default settings?
Check if this can solve your problem:
niowluka wrote:You are looking for ~/.config/linuxmint/mintUpdate.conf

Lost half a day the other day trying to figure this out, and still found it by chance...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 7&p=881981
Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

I have a similar problem Mint 17.1. Update suddenly stopped working (red X on shield icon in tray) and I could not get it run. Rebooting did not fix it.

I went into Software Manager and uninstalled it thinking to reinstall it and now it does not appear in Software Manager at all.

Ideas?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Banzai Beagle wrote:I have a similar problem Mint 17.1. Update suddenly stopped working (red X on shield icon in tray) and I could not get it run. Rebooting did not fix it.
That was your updater working as intended, it was telling you correctly that it could not fetch certain updates. It was doing its job.
Read around on the forum and you'll find many threads about this issue. Hint: it's Chrome related.
Banzai Beagle wrote:I went into Software Manager and uninstalled it thinking to reinstall it and now it does not appear in Software Manager at all.

Ideas?
For the future: never uninstall anything that came pre-installed with Mint, there are probably dependencies you don't want to mess up.
I frankly find it hard to believe that it does not appear in the Software Manager anymore. Can you try again? Maybe you made a typo when searching? Just the word 'update' should give it as the top result.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As a general advice in addition to M0em: Reinstalling a software does nearly never solve a problem (very seldom exceptions exist). The cause for a problem is in 99 % on another place.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Thank you Cosmo, but I'm not sure why you are telling me this. I did not tell anyone to reinstall anything. I'm merely having a hard time believing that it's disappeared from the Software Manager.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I wrote "in addition to". I did not say, that you advised to reinstall. Doing so - as the OP did - is a typical sign, that a newbie tries to do anything and falls probably into more troubles than he had before. So this addition was addressed to the OP.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Okay thanks, now I see what you mean! Yeah, I think 'if in doubt, reinstall' may be a residu of Windows habits.

Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

M0em wrote: Hint: it's Chrome related.
I do not have Chrome installed.
M0em wrote:I frankly find it hard to believe that it does not appear in the Software Manager anymore. Can you try again? Maybe you made a typo when searching? Just the word 'update' should give it as the top result.
It does not appear in Software Manager. As I said.

Anybody have any other ideas? Where can I go on the web to download it and perhaps install it as a new ppa or something?
Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

Additional details:
When I run mintupdate-launcher in a terminal window this message appears: mintupdate-launcher: command not found

When I run sudo aptitude update I get these errors:
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty/main Sources
404 Not Found
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty/main i386 Packages
404 Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ ... ce/Sources: 404 Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ ... 6/Packages: 404 Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

When I run aptitude search mintupdate I get this message: c mintupdate - The Linux Mint Update Manager
Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

"Problem" solved:

sudo apt-get install mintupdate

duh.

Courtesy of : http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Update ... ray?page=3

Thanks for all who assisted.

Return to “Beginner Questions”