ICEauthority and caja errors after auto login configuration

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dx486
Level 1
Level 1

ICEauthority and caja errors after auto login configuration

Post by dx486 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 am

Hello

I have Linux Mint 16 32 bit, encrypted /home. on a separate partition. I am the only user.

Yesterday I set auto login for myself using Login Options app in the menu.

After that, when Linux Mint starts, I get following error messages in order:

Code: Select all

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/dx486/.ICEauthority

The path for the directory containing caja settings need read and write permissions: /home/dx486/.config/caja
Then I see welcome screen but then only wallpaper, nothing else.

I did some research online and used following command by pressing CTRL ALT F1;

sudo chown dx486:dx486 /home/dx486
Nothing changed.

I don't want to try more without knowing what I am doing. I don't want to lose my data in home partition. That's why I asked for your help. Thank you.
Last edited by dx486 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: ICEauthority and caja errors after auto login configurat

Post by WharfRat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 am

dx486,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a security feature, but it's a common symptom when attempting to circumvent the login process of an encrypted system.

I'm not completely sure of the recovery procedure, but in order to edit mdm's configuration file to reverse the auto login you will need escalated privileges.

So first, In the terminal try

/usr/bin/ecryptfs-recover-private
to mount your encrypted home.

Then reply with the results before proceeding any further. If that doesn't work then an alternate approach will be necessary.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

dx486
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dx486 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 am

WharfRat,

Thank you for your help. By the command you mentioned, my home directory is mounted to a directory like /tmp/ecrypt[something]. I have access to my files via terminal.

My files are accessible, this is good news.

Is there a way to recover broken login of Linux Mint 16 or should I just reinstall it?

BTW, "Login Options" app in the menu must not let users with encrypted home directory to bypass password screen, if it will break the login process. This can be disastrous for average users I am afraid.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 am

dx486 wrote:BTW, "Login Options" app in the menu must not let users with encrypted home directory to bypass password screen, if it will break the login process. This can be disastrous for average users I am afraid.
I totally agree with you :D

The next step to achieve normalcy is to eliminate the auto login. In the terminal

sudo -i
cd /etc/mdm
nano mdm.conf
Maneuver to the section that has the lines

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
Change AutomaticLoginEnable=true to AutomaticLoginEnable=false and AutomaticLogin=yourname to AutomaticLogin=

Then ctl-o to write the changes then ctl-x to exit. Cross your fingers and reboot.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

dx486
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dx486 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:14 pm

I think this has been a useful thread for probably many "Login Options" victims, thanks to WharfRat. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”