Programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Programs

Post by newbiegettingthehang »

Why don't programs work in linux like they do windows? I'm getting really confused with all these features. Where is the C: drive? I thought linux was supposed to be user friendly? Where are all my programs like windows? I really don't have all day to figure all this stuff out.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Programs

Post by WharfRat »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Why don't programs work in linux like they do windows? I'm getting really confused with all these features. Where is the C: drive? I thought linux was supposed to be user friendly? Where are all my programs like windows? I really don't have all day to figure all this stuff out.
You will never find the C: drive in linux because it doesn't exist. Block devices are handled very differently in linux. Your first disk is now /dev/sda and the first partition on /dev/sda is /dev/sda1.

If you open the terminal and enter

Code: Select all

dpkg -l
every installed program will be listed.
ImageImage

ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ninomrki »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Why don't programs work in linux like they do windows?
Because Linux is not Windows
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Where is the C: drive?
There is no C: drive in Linux. At least, it's not labeled as C: drive. Root partition would be C: drive
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I thought linux was supposed to be user friendly?
It took me 15 minutes to figure out where is what when I booted Linux for the first time. Linux is just as user friendly as Windows. I'm sure it took some getting used to Windows when you first started using it. It's just the same with Linux. There is a user manual on the main Mint site. Read it.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Where are all my programs like windows?
You need to be more specific.
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Why don't programs work in linux like they do windows?
What programs in particular? Windows-only programs? Have you looked for alternatives or equivalents? See this thread: Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternatives. So far, it's six pages long as of this writing. It might be worthwhile for you to have a look some time.
I'm getting really confused with all these features.
What features are confusing you? Before you post, read this: How To Get Help! The more relevant details you can provide, the more effective forum members will be able to help you with your issue.
Where is the C: drive?
Where are all my programs like windows?
The C drive is a Windows concept. There is no such thing as a C drive in Linux systems. The same goes for C:\Program Files or C:\Windows\System. Understanding the Linux Filesystem Heirarchy Standard will give you some perspective (GIYF).
I thought linux was supposed to be user friendly?
It is. You, like most veteran Windows users trying Linux for the first time, are suffering from what is called Baby Duck Syndrome. YMMV, of course. What others deem user-friendly for them doesn't necessarily mean it's user-friendly for everyone. So, can you elaborate which portion of your Linux experience isn't user-friendly?
I really don't have all day to figure all this stuff out.
That's why it's called L-E-A-R-N-I-N-G. Requoting what I said in this thread:
Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:...let's put things in proper perspective for a moment: how many years did you invest in learning and using Microsoft Windows? For sure, you have been very used to the Windows workflow, its nuances, practices and procedures standard to the Windows desktop. Your mind has been accustomed to the 'Windows way.'

Naturally, using another operating system -- regardless the similarity, as far as the user interface is concerned -- means that *you* are expected to get accustomed to a new set of nuances, workflow, practices and procedures to the new OS.

Getting used to another OS after years of using a former one doesn't happen overnight. Depending on you, it could take anywhere between several days to a few years or more. You constantly learn new things everyday. Once you put your mind to it, that is.

...it all boils down to a change in habits. I mentioned this before elsewhere and I'll mention it again:
Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:You're using a Linux system. This is not Windows. Leave your Windows habits where they belong -- in Windows. It will help you better in the long run if you change your mindset and think in terms of Linux and not Windows. As the old saying goes, "When in Rome,..."
Having said all the above, if you *really* cannot spare some of your precious time trying to learn a new system, then by all means, stay with Windows. We are not going to force you to use Linux if that will make you unhappy. That decision to switch will ultimately depend on *you* and when you are ready.

Recommended reading: Linux Is Not Windows.

---

Edit: From what I read in your other thread, you mentioned [sic] "...to bite the bullet and get Windows 8..." You realize the user interface of Windows 8 is totally alien to what you've been used to with older versions of Windows, don't you? Will you have "all day to figure out" the Metro interface of Windows 8? :roll:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, I admit for a newbie like me it is frustrating, but I'm open minded to all this. I realize it takes time and the past two weeks haven't helped with the linux experience, but like I said I'm more than willing to learn as long as it dosen't take to long. For long time windows users such as myself it's as drastic as going from baseball to football. My question is everything here command line based? Why won't Universal Usb Installer and crap cleaner run?
Thanks.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:My question is everything here command line based?
No, of course not. There are, however, certain things that are better done on a CLI. Read the explanations written in this thread.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Why won't Universal Usb Installer and crap cleaner run?
Well, let's see. Both UUI and CC are Windows-only applications. As such they run well natively in Windows. On top of that, both are Windows system utilities. They *expect* that your installation is the real deal Windows environment, since they are going to use certain attributes (e.g. libraries, file system, file locations, registry, etc.) unique to a Windows installation. WINE is not a substitute (seeing that you are familiar with it from your other thread). If you are going to run Linux on your machine, then you're better off using applications that are *native* to Linux, that are designed for Linux file systems.

Mint has a USB image writer already pre-installed. If I'm not mistaken, it's under the Accessories category. As for CC, the Linux analog is BleachBit. Used correctly, it will clear out a lot of cruft accumulated over time. Use with caution, though. One careless mistake and you just might hose your system.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

Hi,

As someone else has mentioned here before... Check out the link in my signature. It really should be compulsory for anyone, such as yourself, embarking in the world of Linux for the first time - especially relevant to long-time windows users.

If you really haven't got the time, then stick with windows.

Finally, may I strongly suggest you change your abrasive forum user/log-in name. You'll find others will be less abrasive in their responses, and be more responsive to helping you out.

All the best.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Why won't Universal Usb Installer and crap cleaner run?
"Well, let's see. Both UUI and CC are Windows-only applications. As such they run well natively in Windows. On top of that, both are Windows system utilities. They *expect* that your installation is the real deal Windows environment, since they are going to use certain attributes (e.g. libraries, file system, file locations, registry, etc.) unique to a Windows installation. WINE is not a substitute (seeing that you are familiar with it from your other thread). If you are going to run Linux on your machine, then you're better off using applications that are *native* to Linux, that are designed for Linux file systems.

Mint has a USB image writer already pre-installed. IIMN, it's under the Accessories category. As for CC, the Linux analog is BleachBit. Used correctly, it will clear out a lot of cruft accumulated over time. Use with caution, though. One careless mistake and you just might hose your system."[/quote]

I know Linux is a totally different animal to Windows and am looking forward to shed the Windows mentality. I guess all I need to know are all the major Linux equivalents like foobar2000, Exact Audio Copy, where the hard drive is, where I can defrag it and so on. Btw, I looked in the Accessories category and could not find IIMN. Did I do a faulty installation? Where is the program category? And where is Wine? And why is libreoffice in Russian? Thanks.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I guess all I need to know are all the major Linux equivalents like foobar2000, Exact Audio Copy, ...
Scroll back up. I posted a link to an existing thread that discusses this. As for other Windows-centric topics like defragging your hard drive and anti-virus programs, these are also discussed in the forum. Kindly exercise some initiative and search for these topics.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Btw, I looked in the Accessories category and could not find IIMN.
My bad. It's supposed to be IINM -- If I'm Not Mistaken. Re-edited my previous post and removed the ambiguity.

newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I guess all I need to know are all the major Linux equivalents like foobar2000, Exact Audio Copy, ...
Scroll back up. I posted a link to an existing thread that discusses this. As for other Windows-centric topics like defragging your hard drive and anti-virus programs, these are also discussed in the forum. Kindly exercise some initiative and search for these topics.
linuxispissingmeoff wrote:Btw, I looked in the Accessories category and could not find IIMN.
My bad. It's supposed to be IINM -- If I'm Not Mistaken. Re-edited my previous post and removed the ambiguity.

Sorry, I still can't find IINM did I do a faulty installation?
The proprietery webpage seems to be down.

RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote: Sorry, I still can't find IINM did I do a faulty installation?
No you didn't do a faulty install. IINM == If I'm Not Mistaken. However, that's why it's best to just spell things out instead of using these fad abbreviations.

Anyway, there is only one Windows program I still run - and there are alternatives to it, I just haven't settled on one yet as it's going to mean migrating all the files by hand - considering it's a music notation program you can be that will take a while, hence why I've put it off. But the bottom line is there are native Linux alternatives for just about anything you can think of - and that list is growing.

Lastly I'd like to say that Mint is a community project. People volunteer their time to putting this great OS together for us to use. In spite of the attitude, people here have been quite nice and helpful with your issues, but it takes effort on your part to learn the system. You didn't learn Windoze overnight, so you shouldn't expect to learn Linux overnight. Instead of being upset, stop and realize the freedom you've been given by having Linux to use. Freedom of choice, and freedom from vendor-locking.
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Mint 17 32-bit (Rebecca), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE

RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

WharfRat wrote:

dpkg -l
every installed program will be listed.
+1 Thanks! I always wanted to know how to do that :).
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Mint 17 32-bit (Rebecca), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE

newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

RobertLM78 wrote:
linuxispissingmeoff wrote: Sorry, I still can't find IINM did I do a faulty installation?
No you didn't do a faulty install. IINM == If I'm Not Mistaken. However, that's why it's best to just spell things out instead of using these fad abbreviations.

Anyway, there is only one Windows program I still run - and there are alternatives to it, I just haven't settled on one yet as it's going to mean migrating all the files by hand - considering it's a music notation program you can be that will take a while, hence why I've put it off. But the bottom line is there are native Linux alternatives for just about anything you can think of - and that list is growing.

Lastly I'd like to say that Mint is a community project. People volunteer their time to putting this great OS together for us to use. In spite of the attitude, people here have been quite nice and helpful with your issues, but it takes effort on your part to learn the system. You didn't learn Windoze overnight, so you shouldn't expect to learn Linux overnight. Instead of being upset, stop and realize the freedom you've been given by having Linux to use. Freedom of choice, and freedom from vendor-locking.

If you read my other post you may or may not have an understanding of my prior frustration hence my name(hoping the mods change it soon). I apologize to anyone I may have been rude to. Yes, people here are indeed nice and very helpful and when I am at your level I will realize what a stupid newbie I was. I am your typical last minute XP user forced to either buy a new machine or face an alternative OS. I hope other XP users see this and realize there is no future in that OS.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:...hence my name(hoping the mods change it soon).
If you wish your forum name changed, you might want to send a message to Oscar799 or xenopeek and request it.

----------

<Off Topic>
RobertLM78 wrote:
However, that's why it's best to just spell things out instead of using these fad abbreviations.
People volunteer their time to putting this great OS together for us to use.

You meant to write "internet slang" and "Operating System" (spell things out, right?) -- there you go, FIFY* :wink:
*FIFY - Fixed It For You

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Where is the C: drive?

We don't need no stinkin' C: drives.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

linuxispissingmeoff wrote:I know Linux is a totally different animal to Windows and am looking forward to shed the Windows mentality. I guess all I need to know are all the major Linux equivalents like foobar2000, Exact Audio Copy, where the hard drive is, where I can defrag it and so on. Btw, I looked in the Accessories category and could not find IIMN. Did I do a faulty installation? Where is the program category? And where is Wine? And why is libreoffice in Russian? Thanks.
When you're new, best place to look to for programs is in the Software Center. That's listed in the Menu under either "System" or "Administration" category (depending on the desktop version of Mint you're using). The software packages are organized under different categories. Click a category and have a look through the choices. Most of the names of the packages will seem very strange, but there will be brief descriptions and some of them have user feedback ratings next to them. To get a more in-depth description of one, double-click it. To install, hit install button. If there is a homepage shown on the description page for a package, make a note of it or open it to get more info. Youtube is also a good place to look for video tutorials on using different programs.

After testing out a program, if you don't like it -- open Software Center, go to same page for the program and click "Remove" to un-install it. It's that simple. There are other ways of installing and removing programs, but the Software Center is definitely the most user-friendly for beginners.

(One side note. Try not to choose programs that say they are designed for the KDE desktop. They will likely work fine, but they will also need to install a lot of extra KDE packages in order to function properly. Most of the time there are similiar programs that are not designated as being for the KDE desktop -- use those whenever possible.)

"foobar2000, Exact Audio Copy" -- I believe that you'll find things with similar functionality to those in the Software Center. Read through descriptions, pick a few, install and try them out. Take your time and use Youtube and other search engines to find instructions on their use if necessary.

"Wine?" -- in the Software Center

"Defragmenting drives" -- not necessary and not done in Linux.

"Why is libreoffice in Russian?" -- I have no idea! Open a terminal and enter the following two commands:

dpkg -l | grep 'spell'

dpkg -l | grep 'language-'
Copy the output, then paste it back here for use to see. Hit the "Code" button on forum interface. That will insert two code blocks -- [ code ] ... [ /code ]. Paste the output b/w the code blocks.

P.s. In your spare time, it would be beneficial to read The Linux Mint User Guide. Don't worry that the version # doesn't match the version you have installed and don't worry if the descriptions of some operations is slightly different than the version of Mint that you are using. It will give you a good general understanding to build from.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

"Why is libreoffice in Russian?" -- I have no idea! Open a terminal and enter the following two commands:

dpkg -l | grep 'spell'

dpkg -l | grep 'language-'
Copy the output, then paste it back here for use to see. Hit the "Code" button on forum interface. That will insert two code blocks -- [ code ] ... [ /code ]. Paste the output b/w the code blocks.

Thanks for all that I will. Okay it's either Russian or Greek I took a screenshot, but for some reason it would not let me do an upload, anywho here is the code:

pc@Sony ~ $ dpkg -l | grep 'spell'
ii  aspell                                 0.60.7~20110707-1                       GNU Aspell spell-checker
ii  aspell-en                              6.0-0-6ubuntu2                          English dictionary for GNU Aspell
ii  dictionaries-common                    1.12.1ubuntu2                           Common utilities for spelling dictionary tools
ii  enchant                                1.6.0-7                                 Wrapper for various spell checker engines (binary programs)
ii  hunspell-en-us                         20070829-4ubuntu3                       English_american dictionary for hunspell
ii  libaspell15                            0.60.7~20110707-1                       GNU Aspell spell-checker runtime library
ii  libenchant1c2a                         1.6.0-7                                 Wrapper library for various spell checker engines (runtime libs)
ii  libgtkspell-3-0                        3.0.0~hg20110814-1                      spell-checking addon for GTK's TextView widget
ii  libgtkspell0                           2.0.16-1ubuntu5                         a spell-checking addon for GTK's TextView widget
ii  libhunspell-1.3-0                      1.3.2-4                                 spell checker and morphological analyzer (shared library)
pc@Sony ~ $ dpkg -l | grep 'language-'
ii  language-pack-en                       1:12.04+20140106                        translation updates for language English
ii  language-pack-en-base                  1:12.04+20140106                        translations for language English
ii  language-pack-gnome-en                 1:12.04+20140106                        GNOME translation updates for language English
ii  language-pack-gnome-en-base            1:12.04+20140106                        GNOME translations for language English
ii  language-selector-common               0.79.4                                  Language selector for Ubuntu
ii  language-selector-gnome                0.79.4                                  Language selector for Ubuntu
pc@Sony ~ $
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed code tags.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

I don't see anything unusual from output and not really sure where else to look.

Try renaming the screenshot to something without any special characters or spaces. Sometimes the default screenshot name with time stamp doesn't upload, but will if you give it a simple name. If you can't get it to work with the "Upload attachment" tab on forum interface, then post it here and just give us the link to it.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

This one:
I'm getting this same language for Virtualbox(as you can see), officelibre, and VLC.
Attachments
this one
this one

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

I'm getting this same language for Virtualbox(as you can see), officelibre, and VLC.

Pretty sure that's a weird font, not a weird language (The buttons are labeled "New" "Settings" "Start" and "Download(?)"); check your font in something like "Appearence" in the your menu (which desktop environment are you using?)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Newbie Questions”