Programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Programs

Post by RobertLM78 »

Flemur wrote:I'm getting this same language for Virtualbox(as you can see), officelibre, and VLC.

Pretty sure that's a weird font, not a weird language (The buttons are labeled "New" "Settings" "Start" and "Download(?)"); check your font in something like "Appearence" in the your menu (which desktop environment are you using?)
Definitely a wrong font for English - it's a Greek font. If you notice the first menu option in the screenshot is indeed "File".
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Mint 17 32-bit (Rebecca), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newbiegettingthehang »

I can't read greek, is there a line command fix or something?
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

C'mon anyone? Please? This is frustrating for a newbie.
vlc
vlc
vlc
vlc
Attachments
Screenshot1.png
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Aw, come on anyone? I don't wan't to waste two or more weeks looking for the answer. I've already spent enough time trying to boot up right. I know someone knows. Why do I keep getting these in Greek? Please help a newbie.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:Aw, come on anyone? I don't wan't to waste two or more weeks looking for the answer. I've already spent enough time trying to boot up right. I know someone knows. Why do I keep getting these in Greek? Please help a newbie.
This is the only place I know of :?
Attachments
2014-05-01-00-52-47.png
ImageImage
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

I tried it and thought it was going to work, but unfortuantly it is the same. Thanks though. Why am I the only one this has happened to? Did someone hack my system?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:Did someone hack my system?
It's more plausible to say that it may have been something *you* have done, either during installation or while you were "experimenting" with the OS. We have no way of knowing how you arrived in a situation that you have described, because we're literally not *there* to witness your actions. We can only offer you possible reasons and solutions, based on your feedback and your descriptions.

For future reference, you might want to write down somewhere the actions you are about to do or have done when changing something in the OS or the applications. A written log you can refer to does/may help (both you and would-be forum helpers) when backtracing and troubleshooting.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

I really havent done anything "experimental" yet. I've only put command lines and programs basically from the threads I started. I put linux on my other computer and have the exact same problem. I looked for other threads like mine regarding different launguages, but I could not find one. Like I said I havent done anything that radical to change the language in these programs and don't understand why I am the only one facing this problem.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If you read my other post you may or may not have an understanding of my prior frustration hence my name(hoping the mods change it soon). I apologize to anyone I may have been rude to. Yes, people here are indeed nice and very helpful and when I am at your level I will realize what a stupid newbie I was. I am your typical last minute XP user forced to either buy a new machine or face an alternative OS. I hope other XP users see this and realize there is no future in that OS.
Ah, progress. Many here are XP refugees. I probably should have been an W2K refugee since I wasn't happy about the "Fisher Price" look of XP, but finding Classic Menu helped me keep with it, but then hitting Activation and Genuine Advantage took any pleasure in upgrading the computer right back out of it. Then along came SP3 and Activation Hell, where if you were asked to activate again after some upgrade it said you already were, in a loop. Along came Vista and that was the last straw for me. I went back to XP and started looking around. I ended up at Kubuntu and Mint as my solution.

Quit obsessing over the CLI, most times you will not have to use it. In forums you may be given code on what to use in Terminal, but that's because it's quick, it's easy, and the resulting information can be copy/pasted quickly by the seeker of help into a forum message where it can be examined and hopefully result in a successful fix to one's problem. For your own use, you may never use the Terminal. So, if someone wants you to in a help forum, don't use that to assume you need to use it yourself outside of that venue.

Yes, years back if you walked into a Windows based office and they were maybe software developers and you saw them all typing up batch files and running BAT2EXE programs and all that text on that black screen, you'd turn around and decide that wasn't for you. If however you sat down and did just what you wanted to, you'd feel a whole lot different then. Same with Linux. See terminal, ignore terminal, till you want to learn some about using terminal. It's not a necessity most times in a former windows user's transition to Linux.

Before I switched from Windows to Linux I tested Linux distros in VirtualBox, then installed them on USB flashdrives, full installs not some LIVE version, and that is what eventually lead me to decide it had arrived at the sort of desktop usage I liked. That of course lead to hard drive installation eventually (actually copied my flashdrive partitions to the hard drive partitions) and it became my main operating system

Patience is a virtue that often rewards one with better things at reduced price, or in this case for free, although if you choose to use then small regular donations ($5-10 a month?) are the grease which helps things along.

What do you gain from it?
1) low cost up front
2) great forums for help
3) all third party software in repositories has been vetted already for safety, so no exe files from untrusted sources.
4) No antivirus needed, but is available if desired. The security of Linux is Legendary.
5) Many desktop choices, many file manager choices, just many choices of all sorts of software.
6) If young, you can impress cute geek girls ;) Seen Nixie Pixel on Youtube? Check out Spatry for good videos too.
7) The experience will get you out of the rut Windows put you in.
8 ) No activation Hell, no Genuine Advantage insults, no problem changing equipment, no OEM vs Retail differences in whether it can be installed or not. No agreement between Linux and NSA to allow spying.
9) Arguably, updates are quicker and easier, when you learn how to do it.
10) Put the version of Linux in your email signature line for Thunderbird, add a cute gif file, and create envy and admiration among your friends.

Concerning defragmenting,there's an excellent discussion of it here, where someone felt similar as you, but discovered the truth. I couldn't put it any better.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Flemur wrote:Where is the C: drive?

We don't need no stinkin' C: drives.
Yeah, Microsoft took all the drives between A to Z, so Linux does it's own thing. ;)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:This one:
I'm getting this same language for Virtualbox(as you can see), officelibre, and VLC.
ROFL!!! It's English, just in Greek letters.

ΡΟΦΛ! Ιτς Εγγλις ιυστ ιν Γρηκ λετερς

Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection. Extra letters to solve forum rejection.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:Aw, come on anyone? I don't wan't to waste two or more weeks looking for the answer. I've already spent enough time trying to boot up right. I know someone knows. Why do I keep getting these in Greek? Please help a newbie.
You need to go to the Menu, then All Applications, then Preferences, then Language Support since this seems set systemwide for you. If it doesn't already have English there, then add it. Also check your keyboard preferences there.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:I really havent done anything "experimental" yet. I've only put command lines and programs basically from the threads I started. I put linux on my other computer and have the exact same problem. I looked for other threads like mine regarding different launguages, but I could not find one. Like I said I havent done anything that radical to change the language in these programs and don't understand why I am the only one facing this problem.
Were they using English and then just suddenly went Greek on you?
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Spearmint2 wrote:
newbiegettingthehang wrote:I really havent done anything "experimental" yet. I've only put command lines and programs basically from the threads I started. I put linux on my other computer and have the exact same problem. I looked for other threads like mine regarding different launguages, but I could not find one. Like I said I havent done anything that radical to change the language in these programs and don't understand why I am the only one facing this problem.
Were they using English and then just suddenly went Greek on you?
Yes, I followed WharfRats instructions of going to menu, settings, language support and everythings in English, so I seem to be the only one having this problem. Yep, initially they were in English so....
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Are these packages installed :?:

Code: Select all

mint ~ # dpkg -l|grep language-pack|awk '{print $2," -> ",$3}'
language-pack-en  ->  1:13.10+20131012
language-pack-en-base  ->  1:13.10+20131012
language-pack-gnome-en  ->  1:13.10+20131012
language-pack-gnome-en-base  ->  1:13.10+20131012
ImageImage
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

I don't know how do I access or see them?
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:I don't know how do I access or see them?

dpkg -l|grep language-pack
ImageImage
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

laung
laung
WharfRat wrote:
newbiegettingthehang wrote:I don't know how do I access or see them?

dpkg -l|grep language-pack
It looks like it, here is the screenshot:
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

When you get to the login screen is the correct language set :?:
Attachments
2014-05-02-22-45-28.png
ImageImage
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

WharfRat wrote:When you get to the login screen is the correct language set :?:
Yep, I chose US English, but still no change.

Return to “Newbie Questions”