Programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Programs

Post by WharfRat »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:
WharfRat wrote:When you get to the login screen is the correct language set :?:
Yep, I chose US English, but still no change.
There's nothing left to check :? Try some other language to see if it does change, maybe it's stuck :?
ImageImage
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newbiegettingthehang »

So is there a way to get it unstuck?
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Yep, I chose US English, but still no change.

It is English. The pictures you posted were in English - WITH THE WRONG FONT. The advice for selecting the language was inappropriate.

Since it's the wrong font - "check your font in something like "Appearance" in the your menu", to quote my wise advice a couple of posts back.

Have you tried to change the font, or not?

Choose "Liberation Sans" when you find the place to set it. It doesn't have codings for other languages, like Greek.

Warning: the first time you do it, It might take as long as two minutes to find font settings in your menu!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Flemur wrote:Yep, I chose US English, but still no change.

It is English. The pictures you posted were in English - WITH THE WRONG FONT. The advice for selecting the language was inappropriate.

Since it's the wrong font - "check your font in something like "Appearance" in the your menu", to quote my wise advice a couple of posts back.

Have you tried to change the font, or not?

Choose "Liberation Sans" when you find the place to set it. It doesn't have codings for other languages, like Greek.

Warning: the first time you do it, It might take as long as two minutes to find font settings in your menu!

Cool, thanks man it finally worked.
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

When you download programs from software manager where do they go. Next time I install mint I would like to have a folder of all my favorite programs instead of having to download them one by one.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:When you download programs from software manager where do they go.
Debian packages (binary packages that uses the .deb file extension) that have been downloaded completely are stored in the /var/cache/apt/archives folder. Partially completed downloads are temporarily stored in the /var/cache/apt/archives/partial folder. If you don't see .deb files in any of these folders it simply means the downloaded packages have already been deleted, usually by an apt-get [auto]clean operation or by some other method to clear the cache (Synaptic perhaps?).
newbiegettingthehang wrote:Next time I install mint I would like to have a folder of all my favorite programs instead of having to download them one by one.
There are at least two ways this can be done:

(1) Use Nemo (or whatever file manager you prefer) to copy the .deb files from the archives folder to whatever folder/media you prefer backing them up to, and later on copy them back to the archives folder before updating/installing via Software Manager/Synaptic/apt-get.

(2) Use the APTonCD utility (small download via Software Manager/Synaptic/apt-get):
This tool will allow you to create a media (CD or DVD) to use to install
software via APT in a non-connected machine, as well upgrade and install
the same set of softwares in several machines with no need to re-download
the packages again.
I prefer using APTonCD since it performs certain "sanity checks" that you'd manually do if you use the file manager.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Related to method #1 I posted above:

You can also install these .deb packages directly via GDebi or dpkg -i, foregoing Software Manager/Synaptic/apt-get. Although for a complete newbie like yourself, I advise caution against following this route unless you already know your way around (read: more experienced) and if you're comfortable enough to try alternate methods (there's more than one way to skin a cat).
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Cool, thanks. Where is the virtual drive in software manager?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote:Cool, thanks. Where is the virtual drive in software manager?
Do you mean VirtualBox program from Oracle? If so, open Package Manager and put virtualbox into the Filter area and then set to install.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

If the OP's referring to something similar to these, an archive mounter is already built-in. Just right-click the ISO file and select Mount archive.
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:If the OP's referring to something similar to these, an archive mounter is already built-in. Just right-click the ISO file and select Mount archive.
Do they work with nrg files? Also is there a similar such screen like this?
Attachments
windows-c-drive-properties.jpg
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

newbiegettingthehang wrote:Do they work with nrg files?
Honestly, I don't know. I stopped dealing with Nero's file format years ago. The archive mounter is built-in anyway, so why don't you give it a try? If it works, well and good. If it doesn't, then you have your answer. :wink:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nrg2iso
Using nrg2iso

Usage

nrg2iso [nrg-file] [iso-file]
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote: Do they work with nrg files? Also is there a similar such screen like this?
Yes, go to your System Monitor and click on the 'File System' tab (if you use Gnome, MATE, and possibly XFCE). That will show you usage of any drive that is mounted, including /. If you use KDE check out KDiskFree.
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Mint 17 32-bit (Rebecca), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Spearmint2 wrote:

sudo apt-get install nrg2iso
Using nrg2iso

Usage

nrg2iso [nrg-file] [iso-file]
I installed it but cannot find it.
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

RobertLM78 wrote:
newbiegettingthehang wrote: Do they work with nrg files? Also is there a similar such screen like this?
Yes, go to your System Monitor and click on the 'File System' tab (if you use Gnome, MATE, and possibly XFCE). That will show you usage of any drive that is mounted, including /. If you use KDE check out KDiskFree.
Is this what you mean? It doesen't show that circle showing free space and used space though.
Attachments
333.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote: I installed it but cannot find it.
You use Terminal. Open it and just put in nrg2iso and clk on Enter. You will get a message showing how you were supposed to use it. For instance, let's say you have the file in your user's folder under the home folder. We will call it Nero.nrg file. You'd open terminal and do this;

nrg2iso /home/newbiegettingthehang/Nero.nrg /home/newbiegettingthehang/Nero.iso

There's a space between the two file paths. You should then find that new ISO file in your home user folder.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

newbiegettingthehang wrote: Is this what you mean? It doesen't show that circle showing free space and used space though.
Look at the bottom, it shows the used versus the free space. Here are some commands you can use in terminal to see your system setup, very common used commands.

sudo parted -l

sudo blkid

sudo fdisk -l
Also find "Disks" program or run this in terminal to bring it up

gnome-disks

hardinfo
this should bring up graphical system summary with loads of information for you.
newbiegettingthehang
Level 2
Level 2

Spearmint2 wrote:
newbiegettingthehang wrote: I installed it but cannot find it.
You use Terminal. Open it and just put in nrg2iso and clk on Enter. You will get a message showing how you were supposed to use it. For instance, let's say you have the file in your user's folder under the home folder. We will call it Nero.nrg file. You'd open terminal and do this;

nrg2iso /home/newbiegettingthehang/Nero.nrg /home/newbiegettingthehang/Nero.iso

There's a space between the two file paths. You should then find that new ISO file in your home user folder.
I keep trying, but get this instead:

I put the "Nero".nrg file in the newbiegettingthehang folder
Attachments
123.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

you might prefer windows instead. It does have a purpose and some find it a necessity.

Return to “Newbie Questions”