HD Partition question.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Crackington
Level 3
Level 3

HD Partition question.

Post by Crackington »

When I dual decided to dual boot Linux Mint with my windos XP, I partioned the HD 50/50.

Now I have removed a lot of things on Xp and wish to incease the Linux pertition and decrease the xp.

How do I do that, in simple steps please as I am no computer wiz kid.

Thanks for any help.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: HD Partition question.

Post by daveinuk »

If it was me* . . . . . . . I'd back up XP first, and use a windows partition tool like partition magic to resize and free some space up, then check everything boots fine and there are no problems or glitches - then - boot into linux and use gparted partition manager to claim it back and add it to a linux drive - It really all depends on how your machines HDD is set up and what mounts at boot etc, maybe you could provide a bit more info as to your existing partitions, everyones setup is different.

You could also boot from a gparted live CD/DVD and resize but some don't recommend this, if you are not that familiar with a task like this, lots of reading and searching first, and BACK UP to an external drive/usb/dvd/whatever second, you'll thank me for the caps if you make a town halls of your system ;)

*(I'd wipe XP :) )

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

I'd wipe XP also, certainly now that there will be no more security updates.

On My work PC, I decreased my Windows 7 partition to make room for mint.
I used the mint live usb stick to do this, using gparted, no need to have an additional gparted live cd, you can use gparted from mint.
I used gparted several times to change windows partitions without any problems, but I always make a backup to be sure in case something goes wrong, this is very important.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

Crackington
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crackington »

I to would like to wipe Xp but my scanner will only work properly via the Windows Drivers there are non available for Linux, and its a chaeaper option to keep XP than purchasing a new scanner.

All looks a bit scary for a novice this resize of my partitions!

Don't know if it helps but:

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

The resolution of the screenshot is too low to have a clear view.
Here is how I did it with my Windows 7 partition:
- in windows, defragment your C: drive
- let windows do a check (chkdsk) on the drive to make sure there is no error on it that can disturb the partition change
- make sure your PC is running on mains power to avoid the battery runs empty during the operation
- in linux, start gparted or kde partition manager, depending on what you use
- unmount the windows drive you want to modify by rightclicking it and choosing unmount
gparted2.png
- When unmounted, click it again and select Resize/Move from the menu
make sure you leave the partition size 50% bigger than the ammount of data on your windows partition
otherwise you will damage the data and you will not have any room for windows files
when you add something or to store your scan data
gparted3.png
- click the green button to start the operation
- when it is finished, reboot in windows
probably windows will tell you know that it needs to do a diskcheck because the disk is different than before
- after this reboot again and you should be fine.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Just a thought, unless you need the extra space for software on the Linux side of the partition why not leave it as it is, since Linux will read and use NTFS (or WIN32) and will store downloads on it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”