Administrator ... but no admin rights!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Administrator ... but no admin rights!

Post by braystacey »

Hi,

I have recently installed Linux Mint 16 (Cinnamon) and set myself up as an administrator. When I try to do certain tasks, however, I have to enter my password or, if there's no opportunity to do that, I seem to have no admin rights.

For example, if I put a DVD in the drive and try to access in through the file manager I have to enter my password. No biggie, but I wouldn't expect that for an admin user. More concernedly (is that a word?) if I click on the network applet in the system tray I can't make any changes; I can open the network settings but again everything is either grayed out or I'm greeted with an error telling me I have "Insufficient privileges".

I've got round the network config issue by running "sudo nm-connection-editor" but this can't be the only way of doing it can it? I should be able to click on my VPN that I've setup from the network applet in the system tray and switch it on, surely? At the moment it's grayed out and unresponsive.

I've checked my user in "Users and Groups" and have groups "adm", "lpadmin" & "sudo".

What am I missing?

Simon.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Administrator ... but no admin rights!

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey,

The adm group is only good for viewing log files in /var/log belonging to the adm group

For the cdrom, add yourself to the cdrom group, log out and back in again for the change to take effect.

The rest appears to be normal. Before any system changes can be made e.g., network settings, you need escalated privileges and that requires entering your password.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The password mechanism -- sudo -- lets the system log what commands were sudo'ed without actually telling you NO! You can downgrade system security by right-clicking on a folder and choosing "Open As Administrator". Your choice, you keep the pieces when it breaks. For a totally unprotected experience, you can log in as user root [read man passwd first] or switch the kernel to single-user mode [read man init first]. These are legitimate ways of running a Linux-GNU system, but it's sooo easy to damage something important.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

www.thefreedictionary.com/Concernedly‎
adv. 1. In a concerned manner; solicitously; sympathetically
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

Thanks all (especially on the word confirmation!), but I'm still a bit confused.

The network applet in the system tray pops up when I click it and has a switch to turn on the VPN but it's grayed out. There's no opportunity to enter my password. The same is true in the "Networking" window from System Settings; I don't get asked for my password, it just gives me dialog boxes where everything's grayed out.

I already have the cdrom group (should've mentioned that, sorry) and have gone into the "Users and Groups" application, confirmed that I'm Administrator and also added any privileges that I didn't have so I now have everything. Restarted and no change.

Simon.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

pgrep -lf polkit
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

Thanks for replying. Here you go:

simon@simon-desktop ~ $ pgrep -lf polkit
931 /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd --no-debug
2053 /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

Simon.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey,

open the terminal and paste back the output of

groups
ImageImage
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

Thanks WharfRat

simon@simon-desktop ~ $ groups
simon adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo audio dip video plugdev fuse netdev lpadmin sambashare scanner

Simon.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey wrote:Thanks WharfRat

simon@simon-desktop ~ $ groups
simon adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo audio dip video plugdev fuse netdev lpadmin sambashare scanner

Simon.

I don't see any problems there. What happens if you enter this in the terminal :?:

gksudo nm-connection-editor
Are you able to choose a connection and edit it :?:
ImageImage
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

Yes, that works fine but going through the system tray applet doesn't give me that ability. I'm happy to do this for editing connections I guess but switching on the VPN from the Networks system tray applet would be really useful. The switch is currently disabled for me and I can't find another way to enable it or the VPN!

Simon.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey wrote:Yes, that works fine but going through the system tray applet doesn't give me that ability. I'm happy to do this for editing connections I guess but switching on the VPN from the Networks system tray applet would be really useful. The switch is currently disabled for me and I can't find another way to enable it or the VPN!

Simon.
That's strange, but at least there's a workaround for the interim. What are the defaults set to when you enter

/usr/bin/gksu-properties
ImageImage
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

It tells me:

Behaviour
Authentication mode: sudo

Screen Grabbing
Grab mode: enable

Simon.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey wrote:It tells me:

Behaviour
Authentication mode: sudo

Screen Grabbing
Grab mode: enable

Simon.
Not what I was hoping for :(

Open administration/update manager from the menu. Does the title include (as superuser) in the title like mine :?:
Attachments
2014-04-29-15-55-28.png
ImageImage
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

No. It asks me for my password to open but it doesn't say "(as Superuser)" at the top.

What does gksu-properties tell you?

Thanks for your continuing help!
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey wrote:No. It asks me for my password to open but it doesn't say "(as Superuser)" at the top.

What does gksu-properties tell you?

Thanks for your continuing help!
There are two methods for escalating privileges, sudo and su. sudo executes a command as another user and with su you become another user. In this case you're trying to execute a command as root with gksudo. That's the default setting you checked with gksu-properties. You can read about them with man sudo and man su.

I'm a little perplexed with the behavior you're experiencing.

What do these return :?:

ls -l $(which gksu)

ls -l $(which gksudo)
ImageImage
braystacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braystacey »

Thanks for the explanation.

Here you go:

simon@simon-desktop ~ $ ls -l $(which gksu)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28176 Oct 2 2012 /usr/bin/gksu
simon@simon-desktop ~ $ ls -l $(which gksudo)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 27 12:38 /usr/bin/gksudo -> gksu
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

braystacey wrote:Thanks for the explanation.

Here you go:

simon@simon-desktop ~ $ ls -l $(which gksu)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28176 Oct 2 2012 /usr/bin/gksu
simon@simon-desktop ~ $ ls -l $(which gksudo)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 27 12:38 /usr/bin/gksudo -> gksu
This is real odd. Open the terminal and enter

sudo -i
you'll be asked for your password. If it works correctly the tail of your prompt will change to ~ # from ~ $

If that works then paste back

cat /etc/sudoers
Did you by any chance try to modify a file following web site instructions or install software outside of the package manager :?:
ImageImage
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

I'm quite sure that gksu has always been a symbolic link to gksudo, in Ubuntu, since 2007 or earlier.
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

(Double post, somehow)

Return to “Newbie Questions”