MD5Sum on Downloads/DVD burni

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SteveFAL
Level 1
Level 1

MD5Sum on Downloads/DVD burni

Post by SteveFAL » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 am

Hi!
I'm trying to DL and install Mint 13 Maya. I did it a few years ago on my other computer with no problem, but seem to have lost the brain cell with the pertinent info.
I downloaded it twice, both via torrent and from one of the USA mirror sites. The md5sum of both DLs is correct, however after I burn to DVD, the sum is wrong. I burn the image at the lowest speed, using "burn image" and have tried two different burners. I think perhaps I'm doing thre md5sum process for the DVD wrong, it's been a long while since I've done this. I remember opening a terminal and checking the md5sum, but the particulars are lost on me.

Checking the "media" directory, via command line, there seems to be nothing there, I assume because it is an image rather than a file. ("ls" gives no output, so I did the MD5 on the device "dev" directory, both "DVD" and "DVDRW").The sums were wrong both times with both burns.
THANKS in advance!
--Steve I.

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MD5Sum on Downloads/DVD burni

Post by wilbobob » Mon May 05, 2014 3:48 am

I'm having problems with that brain cell too. I'm sure I've read that the MD5 sum can only be applied to the download as when you burn to DVD there is a bit of data added by the burning process to make the DVD work. This changes the MD5sum of the burnt iso in ways that are specific to the type/size of DVD/Burner/phase of the moon so cannot be predicted in advance. If the download MD5 is good, and you burn slow and verify you should get a clean install DVD
Go Steady, but keep going

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Mon May 05, 2014 8:55 am

What operating system and what program are you using to burn the DVD?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 am

On my Mint16 system...
md5sum /dev/sr0
...on a CD-R gives me an i/o error at the end of the recording. Suck the file system off the CD and pass it into md5sum...
dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/stdout | md5sum /dev/stdin
...and I get the published MD5SUM for the file I burned onto it. ISO9660 is International Standard. Properly burned, finalised and auto-mounted the disk holding an ISO is supposed to show up under /media/ somewhere.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

SteveFAL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SteveFAL » Mon May 19, 2014 5:06 pm

@Austin.Texas: I'm using Linux Mint 13 Maya (I always use LTS versions), and using Brasero to burn.
@Mute Ant (cool name, BTW!): THANKS, I'll give it a try & let you know.
@Everyone: With further research I found out that the cause of the erroneus Md5 is that it computes the sum including the remaining blank space on the CD rather than just the image file.
I'm going to try Mute Ant's suggestion and let y'all know how it works out. BTW, I'm running that OS, installed, right now and it seems fine, but I'll sleep better knowing the Md5sum was correct.
THANKS!
--Steve
PS: apt-get moo

Return to “Newbie Questions”