Which One (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob2

Which One (Solved)

Post by bob2 »

Hi There,
Having decided which distro I am going to use , I now am trying to decide which desktop I would prefer.
I have been trying out a few and just can not makeup my mind between Cinnamon and Mate.
I am leaning towards Cinnamon, but I would appreciate any input from members to help a real n00b to make up his fragile mind.

Regards Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Which One

Post by Mute Ant »

Try Buddhist Mint; One With Everything :)
Software Manager in Mint 16 has packages...
mint-meta-mate
mint-meta-cinnamon
mint-meta-kde
mint-meta-xfce
...then choose which session you want to run at the login greeter. You may need to switch off auto-login and timed-login to see the greeter.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Mute Ant wrote:Try Buddhist Mint; One With Everything :)
Software Manager in Mint 16 has packages...
mint-meta-mate
mint-meta-cinnamon
mint-meta-kde
mint-meta-xfce
...then choose which session you want to run at the login greeter. You may need to switch off auto-login and timed-login to see the greeter.

I highly diagree with that statement! That'sa sure way to cause system instability. It's well known Mate and Cinnamon don't work well with each other (though Mate and XFCE cause no problems on the same system). As well as KDE and cinnamon can cuase problems as well.

I suggest download and install virtualbox and then download the iso for each version of you wish to try out or follow Mute Ant's suggestion and install the meta packaes within virtualbox. This way is more time consuming but requires less risk to your system.

Search youtube for tutorials how to install on yuor system (windows or linux).
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
passerby

Post by passerby »

bob2, please list some information about your system. The "best" version largely depends on your hardware.
In particular, Cinnamon is more graphics heavy, so if you don't have a dedicated graphics card (or it's an older card) MATE would be the better choice.

Of the two, I'd say MATE. It isn't as "modern", but it's faster and lighter on resources, making it a good fit regardless of your hardware.
bob2

Post by bob2 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies much appreciated, It all boils down to Cinnamon or Mate, and after playing about with the two it looks like it will all depend on the toss of a coin. :roll: :roll:
Mate does seem slightly faster, but Cinnamon see more user friendly, only in my opinion. BUT, I might start off with mate in Mint 17. :lol:

I have read that Mate and Cinnamon dont sit well together but I dont seem to have any proplems so far, the only problem I have is when my choice of desktops appears in the login screen it shows two cinnamons.....Cinnamon and Cinnamon software rendereing, whats the difference. :?:

I am useing a PB imedia s1850 PC, 2 core intel Pentium cpu, 4gb of mem, 1tb HDD and a dedicated graphics card

Also the spellchecker does not work in this forum, it does in others I use, (I have ticked it.)

Regards Bob
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Cinnamon with Software Rendering uses Software Rendering :roll:

If the graphics hardware drivers are kept closed, Linux has to limp along setting pixels one at a time instead of bulk instructions like 'draw a red triangle'. Cinnamon will run faster with hardware rendering.

And to TheDynamicHamza21 I run all four Mint16s merged in a single system so there thrppbbbbbp!
passerby

Post by passerby »

Software rendering will pass some graphics-intensive stuff to your CPU instead of your graphics card.
Usually users are forced to use software rendering if their graphics card isn't good enough to run Cinnamon.
It results in higher CPU usage and is typically much slower, though ultimately it depends on the hardware.
bob2

Post by bob2 »

Hi thanks for the posts,
I realy should mark this thread solved, I have done a clean install of Mint 16 c/w Mate. I have used Cinnamon for quite awhile and have got resonably proficient with it so I am now going to use Mate untill the release of 17 then when I install 17 I will be able to make a more informed choice between Mate and CinnamonI LOVE MESSING ABOUT. :roll: :roll:

Regards Bob

PS... Still cant get spellchecker to work. :x

PPS... Where is the solved button ?
passerby

Post by passerby »

There is no "solved" button. To mark a question as solved, edit your initial post and change the subject to "Which One [Solved]" or something similar.

Return to “Beginner Questions”