linux mint slower that xp in the same computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BannedProfile
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint slower that xp in the same computer

Post by BannedProfile »

ok so i try linux mint but it looks more slow that xp, i most use my computer for browse the internet but with linux i cant do much my computer gets hot or gets stuck or both but with xp is more smooth so my question is that if there is a os better that xp that i can install in my computer to mess with or make linux work better? o and the only thing that changes is the hard disk the xp one it has 80gb and the mint one has 160gb. My compu specs are:
hp pavillion dv1000 notebook
cpu:
intel pentium m 725
dothan 90nm technology
ram:
512mb single channel ddr 333 c166mhz
motherboard:
quanta 3087 (u1) 52°c
graphics:
intel mobiel intel 915 gm16ms, 910 hml express chipset family (hp)
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Re: linux mint slower that xp in the same computer

Post by eanfrid »

Do not even try to run any Cinnamon Mint edition: your computer is close to the minimum to even run any modern Linux desktop distro. Try LM16 Mate or LM16 XFCE or wait for the incoming LM17 (either MATE or XFCE, too).
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

What eanfrid said. Any Mint will eat up most of the machine just getting started. Linux Puppy is a modern distribution that keeps within the limits of an XP-Era machine, but it's like owning a horse instead of riding a motor cycle.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Or try a Lxde distro :
wattOS http://www.planetwatt.com/
Lubuntu http://lubuntu.net/
Debian http://debian.org
Not Lxde but very lightweight CrunchBang http://crunchbang.org/about
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy
KhalVal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KhalVal »

the only thing that changes is the hard disk the xp one it has 80gb and the mint one has 160gb.
This appeared to happen when I switched to Mint, but it was because my hard drive was partitioned into 2 smaller drives, C: and D:. When I did a clean install of Mint, I removed the existing partition set up and created a new one.

You might also re-check your memory using Mint under System Tools > System Monitor > System. Mint says mine's less than Windows did. I was told they calculate it differently: Windows tells you the total, Linux the amount free. Checking the free memory on the different distros other ppl recommended when running from a live usb might let you find the one that will allow your computer to run its fastest. I'm not sure on that as I'm a newb, but it might work. :)
BannedProfile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BannedProfile »

thank you for the answers, i will try lm16 and i see what happens, i will update when is finish
Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 »

Of all your hardware specs, what's really holding you back is the 512MB of RAM. If you're serious about running any modern OS like Mint, you might consider upgrading your RAM to >1GB (depending on the particular module you need, this shouldn't cost that much).

The reason I say this is that my Toshiba R200 is an XP-era machine whose specs are only slightly better than yours:
1) Intel Pentium M 753 Dothan
2) 1.25GB RAM
3) 32GB Kingspec SSD
4) Intel Mobile 915GMS Express graphics

Yet, it runs Mint 16 Cinnamon pretty darn well. Granted, it's no blazer, but it runs Cinnamon at a clip that is quite usable. Just some food for thought.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7
Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ceilidh2 »

My ASUS Z53E (2007 model) has 2000MB RAM and runs 16 MATE way faster than it ran XP, although it was designed for Vista.
Would seem your extremely limited RAM is your problem, but try MATE. It's a very slimmed-down version, and might work.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie
BannedProfile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BannedProfile »

yeah i know that the ram is low but were i live i cant get one because they not fabric it any more and i dont have ways to buy it in internet apart i just want a os that runs more smooth that xp
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

BannedProfile wrote:yeah i know that the ram is low but were i live i cant get one because they not fabric it any more and i dont have ways to buy it in internet apart i just want a os that runs more smooth that xp

Well, I have a Compaq Presario, Pentium 4, 2.4G, single core, now 11+ yr-old.
WinXP still ran OK.. because it has a legacy ati graphic , which helps a lot on HD video playing.

What worked better in this old box?
Debian xfce.... idling RAM use 110M,
this is the link that has iso with non-free firmware, so you can run live to check your hardware.
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimag ... so-hybrid/

antiX- JWM ---idling RAM use 80M,
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix

Some other that run very fast on it:
semplice--openbox, but this track sid, not recommended for you
SliTaz... this run extremely fast on USB flash.. all run in RAM
http://www.slitaz.org/en/

porteus--- run very fast on USB flash.. run in live mode, this is designed to run in Live mode!
you can install to hard disk also. but run in Live mode give you a chance to evaluate without making any change to your hard disk that has WinXP.
http://www.porteus.org/
you can build the iso according to the selection on their website..a nice method :mrgreen:
http://build.porteus.org/
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

with only half meg of ram i would consider one of the lighter distro's Peppermint is one i use on low spec machines [like my acer zg5 i am currently using]
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 »

This may or may not have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but with your RAM limitations, you might give Puppy Linux or DSL (Damn Small Linux) a try.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'll add my two cents to others, who have rightly pointed out the problem is a low powered machine with little RAM. I'd guess even XP runs adequately but not great, as it does on my Dell 866MHz 512K RAM backup oldie. My experience is there is a serious difference in the demands of different "desktop environments" as follows:

- KDE is even more demanding than Windows 7
- Cinnamon and MATE are just about the same as Windows 7 and too much for an old machine
- XFCE and LXDE are even faster than XP on the same equipment.

I'd suggest experimenting with Mint XFCE or Lubuntu (Ubuntu on LXDE) with a Persistent Live USB (suggest 8gb thumb drive). The persistent Live install will let you save settings and experiment and learn for several weeks, to give the system a real workout with your peripheral devices and preferences. Any install will run faster and better from a hard drive so the hard "test" on the USB will give confidence that you'll be happy with a serious final installation.

I've looked at various other "lightweight" distros but don't like the cartoony look of most of them - it's a matter of taste. Mint XFCE and Lubuntu are pretty refined look and feel, are well supported on the Ubuntu / Mint support forums, and have large repositories of available software.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
BannedProfile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BannedProfile »

ok i install lm 16 xfce an it looks that it runs fine i will look ways to make it run better, thanks for the help
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 »

When will people stop spreading this FUD on KDE. :| The defaults are demanding, but it can be configured to be just as light as XFCE or similar. Something that can't be said on GNOME 3, Unity or Cinnamon.

But even then you want a RAM upgrade - web browsers eat tons of it.
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

Previous1 wrote:
When will people stop spreading this FUD on KDE. :| The defaults are demanding, but it can be configured to be just as light as XFCE or similar. Something that can't be said on GNOME 3, Unity or Cinnamon.

But even then you want a RAM upgrade - web browsers eat tons of it.
Here's KDE on my Win7 NetBook,after running all day.
Attachments
snapshot8.png
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 »

A64+ 3000, KDE 4.11, Nepomuk et al:

RAM use is slightly higher than with XFCE (300mb idle) or Openbox (200 mb), but else the same. And again, browsers consume far more.
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

Yes, I'm running all the eye candy, an audiobook in Amarok and Chromium. Was cleaning up some snapshots with GIMP, today, so there is probably some bleed from running it also.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)

Return to “Newbie Questions”