[SOLVED] Backup Cinnamon Desktop before upgrade to LM 17

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Backup Cinnamon Desktop before upgrade to LM 17

Post by gael33 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am

Is there any way I can backup all my Cinnamon desktop settings etc so that when I upgrade from LM 16 to LM 17 I won't lose my personal settings i.e. larger icons etc?
I don't think that Mint Backup will perform that function, will it?
Looking forward to the LTS version :)

gael.
Last edited by gael33 on Sun May 18, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Backup Cinnamon Desktop before upgrade to LM 17

Post by killer de bug » Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 am

Save your entire /home folder (including hidden folders) and paste them in your new Linux Mint 17 installation ;)

Do you have by any chance, a separate /home partition? If so, don't format it during the installation and say to the installer that you want to use it as your next /home partition. Et voila :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ceilidh2 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:06 am

Woah, Killer.
I have asked this same question at least three times in the few months I have been a part of this community, and this is the first time anyone has offered any hope that all the effort I have spent in setting up my desktop to my likeing has not been in vain. Not to mention my Firefox etc. settings.
Is it possible at this stage to partition off my /home file and save myself from armagedon? Which would mean that I do not have to backup all my files (including 75Gig of movies) and start all over again? Oh, happy day!
I'm running 16 MATE as a standalone OS and I'm a complete newbie, so please reply in words not exceeding one sylable that even I can understand.
Thank you.
Last edited by Ceilidh2 on Sun May 18, 2014 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:09 am

killer de bug wrote:Save your entire /home folder (including hidden folders) and paste them in your new Linux Mint 17 installation ;)

Do you have by any chance, a separate /home partition? If so, don't format it during the installation and say to the installer that you want to use it as your next /home partition. Et voila :)

Thanks for the reply. Tell me if I understand this correctly, If I back up my Home Folder including Hidden Folders I will not lose my Desktop?
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun May 18, 2014 6:17 am

gael33 wrote: Thanks for the reply. Tell me if I understand this correctly, If I back up my Home Folder including Hidden Folders I will not lose my Desktop?
Normally it should work if you put everything back since the hidden folders are basically the config files...
Ceilidh2 wrote:Woah, Killer.
I have asked this same question at least three times in the few months I have been a part of this community, and this is the first time anyone has offered any hope that all the effort I have spent in setting up my desktop to my likeing has not been in vain.
Sorry, I cannot read everything on this forum every days...
Ceilidh2 wrote:Is it possible at this stage to partition off my /home file and save myself from armagedon?
Yes and no. Yes it's possible, but I think your knowledge is not high enough to do it without destroying everything. It involves working with partition tables...

Save your entire /home folder. Reinstall everything an create a /home partition and then copy paste your data inside this /home partition ;)

gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:39 am

killer de bug wrote:
gael33 wrote: Thanks for the reply. Tell me if I understand this correctly, If I back up my Home Folder including Hidden Folders I will not lose my Desktop?
Normally it should work if you put everything back since the hidden folders are basically the config files...
Ceilidh2 wrote:Woah, Killer.
I have asked this same question at least three times in the few months I have been a part of this community, and this is the first time anyone has offered any hope that all the effort I have spent in setting up my desktop to my likeing has not been in vain.
Sorry, I cannot read everything on this forum every days...
Ceilidh2 wrote:Is it possible at this stage to partition off my /home file and save myself from armagedon?
Yes and no. Yes it's possible, but I think your knowledge is not high enough to do it without destroying everything. It involves working with partition tables...

Save your entire /home folder. Reinstall everything an create a /home partition and then copy paste your data inside this /home partition ;)
Okay, I understand so far ... Linux Backup won't back up the hidden files, correct? Is their a program that will backup the entire Home Folder, including the hidden files?
For safety sake I installed Timeshift, but that will revert everything back to LM 16, so I cannot use that for this purpose.
The alternative is plan 'A' which is copying the entire Home Folder including all the hidden files and after the upgrade replace the Home Folder with the saved one.
Question; Do I change the name of the saved Home Folder to Home Folder1, then paste it into the Folder Tree and then delete the newly installed LM 17 Home Folder. I then rename the Pasted Home Folder1 to Home Folder, and everything will look and feel like my personalised Desktop? Have I understood that correctly?
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Sun May 18, 2014 7:09 am

Why don't you just use the filemanager of choice and copy the entire /home over to a removeable device (i.s. usb stick or sd card)?

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun May 18, 2014 7:24 am

DataMan wrote:Why don't you just use the filemanager of choice and copy the entire /home over to a removeable device (i.s. usb stick or sd card)?

-DataMan
Yeah sometimes I'm wondering why people are so complicated... :(

gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 am

DataMan wrote:Why don't you just use the filemanager of choice and copy the entire /home over to a removeable device (i.s. usb stick or sd card)?

-DataMan
Sounds good to me :)

Thank you

gael
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:52 am

killer de bug wrote:

-DataMan
I see now how important it is to include the hidden folders when backing up ... I've learn't something today ;)
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Backup Cinnamon Desktop before upgrade to LM 17

Post by austin.texas » Sun May 18, 2014 8:14 am

I just tried this to see if I could trash my Mint 17, and it appears to be working OK so far.
First I made a backup of my Mint 17 config files (all of the hidden files and folders). Then I booted into Mint 16 and copied all of the hidden files and folders (except .cache) and pasted them into the Mint 17 /home/user/ folder.
So far, it seems to be a complete success. I have my old wallpaper, my applets on the Panel, my clock desklet, my Favorites in the Menu, - all just like Mint 16, except for the special icon I put on the Menu button appears not to exist in Mint 17. Also, my Seamonkey launcher on the Panel does not work, because I installed a different version of Seamonkey in a different location in Mint 17. I imagine I might encounter a few more similar problems.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

iowabeakster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iowabeakster » Sun May 18, 2014 8:15 am

I agree with the folks that say the easiest way be to just copy the whole /home directory. But people who really have large stores of data in there might find a USB sticks to be too small. And that method isn't going to be good for "backup protection".

I don't know if the backup tool inclueded with the Mint distributions will copy the hidden files or not. I don't know why it wouldn't, but it may be true that it doesn't (which would be silly). I just don't know. I've never tried it! It would be worth it to do a test.

What I have used to get my backups done is a program called "grsync". You can find it in the software manager. It is a graphical interface for making backups (under the hood, it uses a command line program called "rsync" to do the real work). But even using the graphical grsync is not exactly "beginner-friendly". There are checkboxes in the various tabs for more the command line switches(than the backup tool in Mint). You need to tell it to exclude a gvfs directory, for each user (with an --exlude=/home/username/.gvfs switch) added to the "Additional options:" text box on the Advanced options tab. There you can add even more options (like syncing over ssh to other systems). I also have it skip a whole mess of things that really don't need to be backed-up. For example I would exclude many directories of just cached web sites and thumbnails (etc) /home/username/.cache/google-chrome/, /home/username/.cache/thumnails/, (and several others).

Even doing that running a full backup takes a couple hours (to an external hard drive). And I don't have any movies in my /home :shock:. They are kept on the external drive at all times.

I think the backup tool in mint is also a graphical front end to rsync, but with many many options removed (for simplicity I suppose).

But what I really do, is use grsync to get things all set up how I want my backups done (for regular backup purposes). This is done on a couple computers that also backup to the external hard drive connected to this computer, via ssh. Then I have it display the rsync command line, (under the File heading) which is a completely ridiculous command line to try and type out. Then I make a script with that command line, and run it automatically from crontab. This is a good little project (and useful), and would help folks learn lots of useful little things to help get out of the beginner category (and into the slightly-less-beginner category, like me :lol: ).
Last edited by iowabeakster on Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ceilidh2 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:26 am

killer de bug wrote:

-DataMan
Because I don't want to buy a 100Gig removable device that I have no use for but this. I only use a few very small files every day. The vast quantity of my files are movies I watch occasionally. Seriously, 94% (or so File Manager tells me) of my 120Gig of available disc space is taken up by My Movies. My Pictures takes 1%, the rest don't even register.
I love them, I don't want to lose them, and half of them I haven't even watched yet. They were just given to me; I'll get round to watching them, but meanwhile....
Anyway, what else would you do with all that disk space? I could run my entire cyber life on 20Gig,easy.
I'm not complicated. I'm just trying to find a workaround that saves me from backing up and reinstalling stuff that is basically just in storage. And what about guys that have huge amounts of stuff? 100Gigs? Peanuts.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun May 18, 2014 12:35 pm

First I made a backup of my Mint 17 config files (all of the hidden files and folders).

Something everyone should do before copying Mint16 config files to a new Mint17 install.

Seriously, 94% (or so File Manager tells me) of my 120Gig of available disc space is taken up by My Movies.

I think the default setup is rather poor (its the about the same as Windows), since data files shouldn't be in the same partition, much less under the same /home/user directory, as system configuration files. Now might be a good time to fix that by making a new partition for your movies.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by revdjenk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 am

@Ceilidh2

If you don't have at least one other backup of your movies, then you don't really have them! One little mistake, problem, hard drive crash and you've lost them.

You need to do a backup...

...please take this as a friendly warning...

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 am

revdjenk wrote:@Ceilidh2

If you don't have at least one other backup of your movies, then you don't really have them! One little mistake, problem, hard drive crash and you've lost them.

You need to do a backup...

...please take this as a friendly warning...

God Bless
Doug
I agree, it's a big mistake not to have a backup, if anything goes wrong and you haven't got a reliable backup ... you've lost the lot. :(
I recently bought an external 1TB HDD for my wife from Amazon ... less than £50. (View it as an investment).
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Ohhhh you had the courage to tell him the truth :lol:
After he started complaining for 100Gb of data, I stopped... HD is so cheap, if you buy one now, it's at least 500Gb... :lol:

Return to “Newbie Questions”