How to upgrade from Mint 17RC to full final release

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

How to upgrade from Mint 17RC to full final release

Post by Doruletz »

Hi.
I just bought a new PC (see specs bellow).

I installed the new Linux Mint 17 Qiana MATE RC (release candidate). All is good, everything works fine for now.

My question is:
Once the full, final release of Linux Mint 17 Qiana MATE becomes available, what exactly do I need to do to upgrade from RC to final release without having to re-install the whole OS ????
Will all this do the trick for me???

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo update-grub
Pleas answer, and if possible, provide a step-by-step to follow for the upgrade.

Thanks.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
My specs:
Dell Inspiron 3647 slimline PC
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core G3220 @3.0GHz
Intel HD graphics
RAM: Upgraded after market with PNY 8GB DDR3 1333 PC3-10600 (two x 4GB)
HDD: WD 500GB 7200 rpm 64MB Cache
I dual boot Linux Mint 17RC and Window$ 8.1 (on the same HDD), using Grub for bootloader.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to upgrade from Mint 17RC to full final release

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Doruletz.

Kindly wait for the Linux Mint 17 (final) to be released. Then follow the instruction which will come with it.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to upgrade from Mint 17RC to full final release

Post by Don_Pedro »

Yes, just relax one day your update manager will ask you if you want install the updated Mint 17.
Cordially
P.
PS: Testing now the Mint 17 with pleasure and no issues.
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File

Return to “Newbie Questions”