Mint for Chromebox?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
billborosky
Level 1
Level 1

Mint for Chromebox?

Post by billborosky »

Just got an ASUS Chromebox last week and have enjoyed the speed of the machine. OTOH, I'm not too crazy about being limited to Google software or turning over my life to the NSA. :D i read in a test of the Chromebox that Chrome OS is actually a variant of Ubuntu and that Ubuntu should work on the ASUS box without a problem with hardware support. I was wondering if Mint is a variant of Ubuntu would Mint work with the same as Ubuntu? I would like to be able to plug my printer into a USB port or at least be able to print without involving the infamous "cloud" which probably resides in Utah now. :D

Anyone have any ideas about this? Should I order a flash drive Mint and just see how it works? Which version is the best for making printers and scanners work?

Thanks
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint for Chromebox?

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Both Ubuntu and the corresponding Mint edition are based upon the same kernel thus it should be no problem. Of course, you should use a live dvd/usb first to ensure no major hiccups can before hand. Generally in my experience if you can run live dvd/usb with no problems there's 99% chance you will face no problems installing the os.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

I know it's a little late,but, can't help thinking it's a shame you didn't see this before getting your chromebox http://www.linuxmint.com/store_mintbox.php

Sorry, you probably didn't want to see that :lol:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
billborosky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billborosky »

$200 vs. $500 is quite a difference. The Chromebox is lightening fast and if Mint doesn't work out (live version for testing) "the box" is a good fall back. I wouldn't be surprised to see if there are a lot of Linux to Chromebox converts.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

As you have a version that includes a usb, you might also be able to boot from a usb storage device a\with an attendant OS (on that device)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebox
  • In March 2014, Asus entered the Chromebox market at the low end with a compact, 1.32 pound model retailing at $179, featuring a Celeron CPU and two USB 3.0 ports.[1][5][6] Yahoo Tech columnist David Pogue called the Asus device among the smallest, "least-expensive desktop computers ever sold", likening it to a Smart car. "You won’t be hauling lumber from Home Depot in it, but it’s a terrific deal—and most days, it’ll get you where you want to go."[7] In May, Asus released a faster model with an Intel Core i3 processor.[8]
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... -os-device
--some info on booting with a Linux OS..
bobd13045
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobd13045 »

DrHu

Thanks for the Chrome Box Info. Remember you well from my Freespire Forum Days. Ubuntu and Mint have matured so much, I seldom read the forums anymore. I'm thinking about getting a Chrome Box and a wireless keyboard (with built in mouse) and hook it up to my 40" HDTV. Down the road I want to double the memory and the SSD drive size and load Lint preferably or Ubuntu on it.

Bob

PS Once in a while I check the PhoenixOS Forum still. I miss the Linspire/Freespire days on the forum. Linux Mint is my favorite Linux flavor. I run it on my Dell Mini 9. I have Windows 8.1 Pro on my HP Pavilion Mini Tower (for my wife, I could never convert her).
Old Spire User :-)
billborosky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billborosky »

I jumped through the hoops to get Ubuntu downloaded onto the "box" and was outrageously disappointed since there were no repositories and every time I tried to install Firefox I got the "not Debian" message when the version was Debian! I was so disappointed by the version Crouton grabs that I finally reloaded Chrome over it. I haven't had any luck downloading the Mint.

Upgrading memory or SSD is a snap with the "box". Too easy to NOT do it.
KhalVal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KhalVal »

I haven't done this at all & I'm a noob, but there's an article in Linux Format 185 july 14 about putting different distros on a chromebook. I'm not finding a link to the article to give you so you can read it. This is the link to the issue : http://www.tuxradar.com/content/linux-f ... d-linux-pc I'd really suggest it if you can get it, it has a lot of info on doing this that is a bit out of my depth.

It looks like they loaded Ubuntu 13.10 with Unity, though it says that LXDE is good for it too. It also says that Debian and Ubuntu are supported, though it doesn't say "only," nor does it specify whether distros based on these will work or not.

It also says you have to install the software center or synaptic as they're not there by default:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
then

sudo apt-get install software-center
or

sudo apt-get synaptic
I dunno if that's what was causing the problem with Firefox or why that's why there weren't repositories, but it might be.
DrG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DrG »

If you're still wondering, I've got Mint running absolutely fine on my Asus Chromebox. Used a firmware flash script I found on the XBMC forum, after which I could simply install Mint from my external DVD drive. No issues so far.
cedbled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cedbled »

DrG wrote:If you're still wondering, I've got Mint running absolutely fine on my Asus Chromebox. Used a firmware flash script I found on the XBMC forum, after which I could simply install Mint from my external DVD drive. No issues so far.
Link to the bolded, as well as any instructions please....Also, is this script similar to coreboot? Not really sure how that works either...just getting started.
acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux »

If a chromebook or chromebox uses a recent Haswell based Intel processor it can probably run Mint. Note that there are some chromebooks which use ARM processors (such as Nvidia Tegra or Samsung Exynos). There may be some distributions which support these but they may be less complete. So if you want to run a linux OS natively, best to look for Intel when buying these.

One way to run linux is to get Google's instructions for putting your maching into developer mode here, and then follow the instructions to download and run crouton here. But as of now, that only seems to support Ubuntu, Kali, or Debian.

A little more versatile might be setting up a dual boot system, which can be done following the instructions for ChrUbuntu here. Drawback there is a lot of these devices come with pretty small hard drives. So two complete systems may leave you pressed for space.

If you don't mind wiping out your Chrome completely, and converting the box entirely to Mint (or another linux), then you can replace the bios or stock firmware. Best option is probably the coreboot firmware here (follow the link for the EZ setup script and the instructions there). Note that the instructions require you to remove a screw inside the machine which acts as a write-protect for the firmware. This is for Asus or HP chromebox only.
cedbled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cedbled »

Got 17.1 running perfectly on my Chromebox, no tweaks needed....
I chose a native Mint install, as I hate Chrome OS, so I wont be dual-booting....
My larger SSD is coming in this week, so I'll need to swap it out, and re-install Mint onto it.

The steps couldn't be simpler, and support is strong for Linux on Chromebook.....
I had the whole thing up and running in less than 20 minutes....

For anyone concerned:
1. Do steps to get your new Coreboot BIOS installed, get the latest from here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
2. Burn a DVD image of Linux, OR use a usb utility to push a linux .iso onto a USB boot drive
3. Plug in external usb DVD player, or your USB stick, and choose the boot device in Coreboot BIOS
4. Once you reach the desktop for Linux, double click the Install icon, and follow the prompts.
5. Enjoy

I installed while using a DisplayPort connection to a monitor at work, and took it home to a 60" Sharp tv with HDMI.
The box handled this seamlessly, no hiccups, no tweaks AT ALL.

The wifi card is just as strong as my Rosewill 3 antenna card on my PC upstairs.

I have upgraded the RAM to a total of 4GB (i installed another 2GB stick)
The memory has to be 1.35V, 204-Pin, PC 12800
Max RAM is 16GB (8GBX2)
Link to what I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820191448

The SSD I bought:
Must be NGFF (next generation form factor), M.2 2242 (size is 22mm x42mm), do not buy 2280; it wont fit in the case!!!
Link to what I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 53D1ZU5466
4_everyman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 4_everyman »

cedbled, thanks for the instructions! I'm intending to do the very same thing soon. I have a 2 GB DIMM module ready to install before I begin the process. Just a few questions, though...

* Did you use Mint 17.1 with Cinnamon or MATE desktop?
* Did you use the 32-bit download or the 64-bit version?

Rgds,
--pete
cedbled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cedbled »

4_everyman wrote:cedbled, thanks for the instructions! I'm intending to do the very same thing soon. I have a 2 GB DIMM module ready to install before I begin the process. Just a few questions, though...

* Did you use Mint 17.1 with Cinnamon or MATE desktop?
* Did you use the 32-bit download or the 64-bit version?

Rgds,
--pete
okay, you are gonna need the 32-bit version of either... I chose Cinnamon, mainly because I have some users in my home, that needed the easiest transition from Windows into Linux...
My wife hasn't had ANY issues getting around in LM Cinnamon
mehimu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mehimu »

I am going to do a project regarding this. Hope that this will help me.
I am learning linux and computer networking more and more. I've a blog related to computer networking. If you are interested may visit there. Thanks
whilenetworking.com

Return to “Newbie Questions”