What to Install - Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon or MATE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MyRay
Level 1
Level 1

What to Install - Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon or MATE?

Post by MyRay »

I'm absolutely noob to Linux, want to get rid of my WIn7 n migrate to Linux. Looking at website but can't quite figure out what the difference is between the 2 new releases?
I want to reformat my HD n isntall the new Linux Mint. Any advise or suggestion on which to start with would be appreciated :)
Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon on Toshiba Satellite P855-S5200 Core i7 8GB DDR3 64-bit
kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What to Install - Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon or MATE?

Post by kurok »

Depending on your hardware either one is a good choice. Just download both and burn them to a dvd or a usb drive and take them for a ride and see wich one you like better. I personally like cinnamon but its heavier on resourses.
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

I have installed both on separate partitions so they dont interfere with each other, choosing which one I feel like using on boot. I couldn't make up my mind either, they are both so good!

MATE is definately lighter on resources, whereas Cinnamon has a bit more asthetic appeal. Either way, both are rock solid.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.
MyRay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MyRay »

Thank you. For now I downloaded the Cinnamon, but atm I'm stuck on being able to install it :(

As for hardware, I got i7 processor w 8GG RAM, I assume that would work well with the Cinnamon. I can't wait to run and see :)
Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon on Toshiba Satellite P855-S5200 Core i7 8GB DDR3 64-bit
kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kurok »

yes that should work nicely depending on your video card.
MyRay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MyRay »

I am now a happy user of the LM Cinnamon :)
it looks and runs great!
getting familiar w the new programs, but so far i'm good :)
iowabeakster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iowabeakster »

It's always heart warming to hear a total linux noob say these words...
I am now a happy user of the LM Cinnamon :)
it looks and runs great!
getting familiar w the new programs, but so far i'm good :)
I really love Cinnamon, and it is running on two of the three PCs in my house. I also think it is the right choice for a noobie (as long as they've got good hardware, like you). I wanted to migrate number 3 (the machine I acutally do my job on) to Cinnamon also. But I think this one is not going to join the others at the Cinnamon party.

There are a couple other less popular members of the Mint family too (like that crazy uncle with scraggy beard who yells at the walls sometimes).

So, I'll throw out a another recommendation of the XFCE version, that probably gets overlooked too often due to the more pretty and popular desktops (I like the pretty and popular ones too). The XFCE version will also trail behind in development, the release candidates for XFCE won't come out until after the final versions of Cinnamon and Mate are released.

It's probably the most configurable/customizable of them. And it also is very light on hardware resources (it just flies, on machines much slower and more modest than yours). But that said, it's a bit rougher around the edges and I suppose you would say, it's less "easy-to-use". That is until you know how to configure things to your own liking, then it is liberating, and it is "easier-to-get-stuff-done". Try it out, in 6 months or a year from now when you aren't so new to Linux. Or if you've got some older, slower, low memory machines that you also want to migrate to Linux.

But XFCE does come with a File Manager that I do not care for, so I just install Nemo on it (Nemo is the default file manger on the Cinnamon Desktop).

Return to “Newbie Questions”