terminal locks up trying to install netflix

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
grampadougperry
Level 1
Level 1

terminal locks up trying to install netflix

Post by grampadougperry »

terminal locks up trying to install netflix i\
i'm trying to get netflix set up on new install of cinnimon 17 and all goes fine until i get a screen with a EULA on it for fonts. nothing i do works and i can't get past this screen and still and one more code line to add. Terminal is locked up and won't let me get any further. if i quit terminal then i get messages i have no idea what to do
do it now cuz grampa says so
kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Re: terminal locks up trying to install netflix

Post by kurok »

im just taking a shot here but when thw eula agreement comes up hit tab. That has worked for me in the past for other eulas in the terminal.
iowabeakster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iowabeakster »

Yes, he is correct, hit TAB to highlight OK, and hit enter. If I remember correctly (and I might not), there are two EULAs (the other is for silverlight). Again on the second one, also hit TAB to highlight OK and hit enter.
grampadougperry
Level 1
Level 1

ty for help now netfix plays but badly

thanks for the help netflix is installed but plays out of sync and lots of hesitation. how to i change to pipelight from silverlight ? will that help?
iowabeakster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iowabeakster »

how to i change to pipelight from silverlight ?
Techinically, pipelight is a hack that allows you to use sliverlight (there is no native silverlight plug-in for Linux). And to further clarify, that is exactly what Netflix-Desktop does too. Silverlight is absolutely necessary for Netflix. And that is unfortunate. Someday, when they implement html5 based DRM, then hopefully it'll be very easy to watch with Linux (and we can forget about all of this hackery).

The difference between pipelight and Netflix-Desktop is that Netflix-Desktop launches a Firefox browser window in full screen mode. The browser that Netflix-Desktop uses is a Windows version of Firefox which is run through an emulator called Wine. Wine is something people use to run Windows programs on Linux (sometimes, when it works). Pipelight on the other hand, does not launch its own Firefox, but allows you to use your normal Linux browser (and simply runs the Silverlight plug-in with Wine). But you will need to add a spoofer to your browser, to lie to Nexflix's servers and tell those servers that your are running a Windows browser.
will that help?
Who knows, until you try?

Actually most of what you need was installed when you installed Netflix-desktop (they are sister projects). Here are the instructions. Just follow these like you followed the instructions for installing Netflix-desktop.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipeligh ... linux.html

I do know this, if you are using google-chrome browser and you updated to version 35 recently, it is not going to work. Google stopped supporting the type of plug-in that pipelight is.

Let us know how it goes.
irishwoody
Level 2
Level 2

Post by irishwoody »

iowabeakster wrote:
how to i change to pipelight from silverlight ?
Techinically, pipelight is a hack that allows you to use sliverlight (there is no native silverlight plug-in for Linux). And to further clarify, that is exactly what Netflix-Desktop does too. Silverlight is absolutely necessary for Netflix. And that is unfortunate. Someday, when they implement html5 based DRM, then hopefully it'll be very easy to watch with Linux (and we can forget about all of this hackery).

The difference between pipelight and Netflix-Desktop is that Netflix-Desktop launches a Firefox browser window in full screen mode. The browser that Netflix-Desktop uses is a Windows version of Firefox which is run through an emulator called Wine. Wine is something people use to run Windows programs on Linux (sometimes, when it works). Pipelight on the other hand, does not launch its own Firefox, but allows you to use your normal Linux browser (and simply runs the Silverlight plug-in with Wine). But you will need to add a spoofer to your browser, to lie to Nexflix's servers and tell those servers that your are running a Windows browser.
will that help?
Who knows, until you try?

Actually most of what you need was installed when you installed Netflix-desktop (they are sister projects). Here are the instructions. Just follow these like you followed the instructions for installing Netflix-desktop.

I got it working yesterday with wine/pipelight/firefox 29 and a user agent switcher - I failed with google chrome btw.

I do know this, if you are using google-chrome browser and you updated to version 35 recently, it is not going to work. Google stopped supporting the type of plug-in that pipelight is.

Let us know how it goes.
grampadougperry
Level 1
Level 1

got it thanks
ZebOfComputers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZebOfComputers »

iowabeakster wrote:Actually most of what you need was installed when you installed Netflix-desktop (they are sister projects). Here are the instructions. Just follow these like you followed the instructions for installing Netflix-desktop.

I was using the WebUpd8 method of installing it, as well, but I found it seems to be slightly outdated (even if it works). Apparently, this is the most updated way of doing things: http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

Return to “Newbie Questions”