Mint 15 not shutting down

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gbest
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 15 not shutting down

Post by gbest »

Have Mint 15 installed (alone) on a Compaq laptop as a possible replacement for Win XP. It has been working but has now turned nasty and when I log out and shut down, it only gets as far as the mint logo then hangs. holding the power switch down fixes that but my next startup is delayed by the boot options screen. I did try enabling networking and then fixing broken packages (and some changes did happen) but it is still hanging. I think I saw a fleeting message about a script running that possibly should not be running, but that was only once and most of the time it just appears to be working, then hangs.
Appreciate suggestions, thanks
gbest
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mint 15 not shutting down

Post by kukamuumuka »

Mint 15 is obsolete. Time to upgrade?
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
Mute Ant

Re: Mint 15 not shutting down

Post by Mute Ant »

While it's fighting you, it's worth ensuring your files are safe out of RAM and into hard disk before forcing it off.
  • alt-sysrq-s
gbest
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 15 not shutting down (SOLVED)

Post by gbest »

Thanks. I (eventually) managed to follow the upgrade instructions and am now using Mint 17. The problem has gone away, and I've also managed to get it sharing files over a windows network (something I could not get working with 15. But I'll be back with more problems in due course. Many thanks.
WinterTroubles

Re: Mint 15 not shutting down (SOLVED)

Post by WinterTroubles »

gbest wrote: But I'll be back with more problems in due course. Many thanks.
Such optimism :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”