how do I add a wine program to startup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Susan365
Level 1
Level 1

how do I add a wine program to startup

Post by Susan365 »

I am a newbie since May 1, 2014. I installed Linux Mint 16 XFCE on a partition sharing a computer with Windows 7.
I could not find a simple calendar similar to the one I had in windows, so I decided to add Wine and installed the calendar.exe program with no problems.
I want the calendar to startup on Workspace 2 when I sign on. Is this possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: how do I add a wine program to startup

Post by kukamuumuka »

I have no Wine, but basically you can make a startup application by adding the launcher to ~/.config/autostart folder. An example:

Code: Select all

leafpad ~/.config/autostart/calendar.desktop
.. the contents

[Desktop Entry]
 Type=Application
 Name=Calendar
 Comment=Calendar for every day
 Exec=wine "C:\Program Files\somesolder_here\calendar.exe"
PS. you know better the program´s path. Wine forlder is a hidden file (Ctrl h shows).
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

There is the "xfce4-datetime-plugin" :

"date and time plugin for the Xfce4 panel
This plugin shows the date and time in the panel, and a calendar appears when you left-click on it."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

administrollaattori wrote:I have no Wine, but basically you can make a startup application by adding the launcher to ~/.config/autostart folder. An example:

leafpad ~/.config/autostart/calendar.desktop
.. the contents

[Desktop Entry]
 Type=Application
 Name=Calendar
 Comment=Calendar for every day
 Exec=wine "C:\Program Files\somesolder_here\calendar.exe"
PS. you know better the program´s path. Wine forlder is a hidden file (Ctrl h shows).

Not sure that does what Susan365 wants. The above creates and places a launcher on the desktop not start an application on a particular workspace.

@Susan365
Having program open at start up is easy to do with a simple ssh script but I'm unsure how define it to a particular workspace however this may help.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3351 ... s-in-gnome
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
Susan365
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Susan365 »

Thanks for all the suggestions
Because I am a newbie I had to google what leafpad was and I learned it was an editor not a command
I like to learn something new about Linux everyday
so I pasted the script into the terminal and restarted Linux
I ended up with this forum page on startup
that's OK I am learning
So then the lightbulb went off and I downloaded leafpad and pasted the script into leafpad and restarted the Linux and got the leafpad window on startup
I have to play with it some more, but if it does not work out I still appreciate your help
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Susan365 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions
Because I am a newbie I had to google what leafpad was and I learned it was an editor not a command
I like to learn something new about Linux everyday
so I pasted the script into the terminal and restarted Linux
I ended up with this forum page on startup
that's OK I am learning
So then the lightbulb went off and I downloaded leafpad and pasted the script into leafpad and restarted the Linux and got the leafpad window on startup
I have to play with it some more, but if it does not work out I still appreciate your help
Leafpad is text editor for the LXDE desktop since you use XFce you should have mousepad installed,it should under accessories in the menu. There was no need to download and install leafpad. You can uninstall it (sudo apt-get remove --purge leafpad) or keep it it's up to you.

Furthermore, you shouldn't have a leafpad open on startup, you must have done experimenting or done something wrong.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”