LinuxMint boot like Cgywin

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

LinuxMint boot like Cgywin

Post by grimdestripador » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:27 pm

There exists public access computers at my university consumed with windows spyware. I'm afraid to login to my sites, and would like a linux environment to run firefox in windows. I'm currently trying Cygwin with x11, but there seems a lack of real help. Is there a way to install Linux Mint (or just boot)from an ISO, from within the windows environment. I know there are things like virtual box and vmware. But administrative privlages are not had. Just limited XP user accounts (it is possable to install in My Documents, and base of C:).

Cgywin works and gets me to the linux world. But there must be a way to run a enumerator/X86emulator in windows from an ISO

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LinuxMint boot like Cgywin

Post by Husse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:54 pm

But there must be a way to run a enumerator/X86emulator in windows from an ISO
I'm not so sure, if you can't reboot using a USB stick or a CD
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:22 am

That would probally get me kicked off the public access compters. Think DOSBox, or BASILISK. They create an environment. There must be one that dones't need bridged network drivers with its own MAC address. I'd just like to surf the internet using a linuxbox. Like I can from cygwin, but with firefox or a real browswer not a terminal session of lynks

rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbanavara » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:19 am

if its just for light access, why cant you give a try for cosmopod.com. They have a public GUI login for trying out KDE (it may still ask for admin privs, try ur luck).
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse

Return to “Newbie Questions”